DisconnecT83

[devblog]
[Devblog] Structural parts: Future

28 posts in this topic

8dfaedd077029fb97005d21d464b.jpg

In the previous blog about structure parts, we described the general parts paradigm shift. This change has already happened, and now we want to share with our survivors other plans to improve the parts in the long-term.

Let's start by describing the current situation. Parts have been brought to a specific ‘common denominator’: durable plows and walls are in their own corner (Scavengers); another is occupied by light parts — grilles (Lunatics); and there's something in between (Nomads). This is how it is now.

Survivors who joined the game before update 0.3.15 know that Lunatic grilles had an advantage: they let damage pass through themselves.With the aforementioned update when the paradigm shifted, they were deprived of this feature. We are thinking of adding distinctive gameplay features to parts of each of the factions. This may be damage transmission, like grilles used to have, it may be special resistance to a particular kind of damage - this is where we need to think and experiment.

In the long run, we want to add armor to the game - special protective parts that are unique to each faction. Obviously, their number will be limited so that vehicles don't turn into super-tanks with armor as their only parts.

Now let's turn to specific changes. Most of the grilles, which are now run by Lunatics, will get a visual change and move to Engineers, so that novice drivers have more structural parts for experimentation.

Lunatics will get brand new parts and those that remain, will be tweaked to fit their visual style.

Exterior nomad parts will also change towards greater conformity to our post-apocalyptic setting.

As for smaller changes, we want to move hatches to the decorative elements category, and the armor role will later be given to specialized factional armor.

Also, of course, we plan to add more new parts. For example - meet the Terribull!

All that we have said here can also change, but now our plan for improving structural parts is exactly like this.

sweet!

will nomads receive some bumper parts? at the moment, they are the only faction without their unique bumpers.

NobodyOfTargem (Posted )

Hi there. It's only fair for them to get stuff.

Posted (edited)

This sounds great, and those part redesigns look awesome!  Its lookin' a little grittier and more home made (Not saying it didn't before, but more so now) which I absolutely love.  Now I can actually use the grilles for nice visual purposes instead of just structural!  Really looking forward to these changes (and using that Terribull on a semi build :D )

Edited by BrandonBranders

Great to see some news!

One thing about plows and other bumpers: as long as they provide better structure per RP and weight, they'll be superior at shielding internals/weapons. Which IMO shouldn't be the case - they should be more dedicated as melee defence/offence.

5 hours ago, DisconnecT83 said:

In the long run, we want to add armor to the game - special protective parts that are unique to each faction. Obviously, their number will be limited so that vehicles don't turn into super-tanks with armor as their only parts

Limiting something OP by making it rare is the first step into xxxx up balance. Limit it by weight and PS price if you plan to give them high structure.

5 hours ago, DisconnecT83 said:

As for smaller changes, we want to move hatches to the decorative elements category

I often feel that some decorative stuff deserve to be passive melee weapons. With either loosing their decorative effect, or stacking both melee durability and xp boost. Namely fender extenders. With one being bumper-style high durability while other blade-style high damage.

3 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

I often feel that some decorative stuff deserve to be passive melee weapons. With either loosing their decorative effect, or stacking both melee durability and xp boost. Namely fender extenders. With one being bumper-style high durability while other blade-style high damage.

If the fender extenders/outer fenders were to become bumpers, i'd have to argue their current size/visuals/coverage would have to be revised, as i don't see them being particularly useful for this purpose due to their shape and how thin, flat and just generally small in size they are.

I mean, i agree that it would be nice if we got some actual bumper-style parts whose intended purpose was to cover up and protect wheels, but the fender extenders/outer fenders would only protect the area around the wheel in their current state, whilst still leaving the wheel itself as unprotected as before.

I'm also a little unsure wether making wheel protection easier than current would be at all beneficial to balance too, i mean, if protecting your sides became easier then i worry how it would affect melee builds.

On a different note, i'm going to miss the clean look that nomad parts have at the moment.. those nomad bits in the screenshots don't look like they'll be any better than scavenger parts for applying paint cans on, which i'd say is a shame.

7 minutes ago, Blackhoodlum said:

On a different note, i'm going to miss the clean look that nomad parts have at the moment.. those nomad bits in the screenshots don't look like they'll be any better than scavenger parts for applying paint cans on, which i'd say is a shame.

it looks terrible, pure and simply terrible.

really bad design choice.

2 hours ago, Hypertion said:

it looks terrible, pure and simply terrible.

really bad design choice.

win some lose some... but remember, its post-Apocalypse. thing should look more torn up like that. unless it was maade by hand, thats what i expect. some stuff needs to look more beaten in then brand new.

so giving the textures this treatment fits the games style more then one might think. 

Any chance of some new AI builds that have some of the new parts sneaking in? =)

NobodyOfTargem (Posted )

Ha! I think not:) Not until the Open Beta at least;)

16 hours ago, DisconnecT83 said:

We are thinking of adding distinctive gameplay features to parts of each of the factions. This may be damage transmission, like grilles used to have, it may be special resistance to a particular kind of damage - this is where we need to think and experiment.

i really like this idea!

10 hours ago, Blackhoodlum said:

those nomad bits in the screenshots don't look like they'll be any better than scavenger parts for applying paint cans on, which i'd say is a shame.

it's a general problem of many parts that applying paint doesn't work that well and they almost look the same afterwards or like a grotesque mix. which is a shame.

Posted (edited)

I like the look of the new parts.  I agree that designs on parts are annoying if you want to paint over them with most colors but I also feel that the avia pieces currently look too new/perfect when you paint on them.  It would be nice if underlying designs/graffiti was obliterated by paint but the general dirt and weathering effects remained when paint is applied.

What hatches are in the game currently?  Those metal mudflap things or something else?

I would really like to see some either structural or deco parts that are essentially front or rear fascias of scavenged vehicles.

Edited by Atropina

It would be interesting to 'theme' a craft. If you have more than X percentage of your craft as this faction, your craft is themed and gets bonuses.  Maybe increasing bonuses the more of a specific faction you use. Small bonuses, but would represent better access to repair facilities or tuning that a faction could provide. 

If you want to balance plows I'd say either give them a damage resistance to melee rather than a huge health pool that increases effective HP against ramming, or if there's no way to really determine what is melee damage keep their HP high but put on a modifier that increases damage taken by various guns.

As for armor against various weapon types it's a difficult thing to keep the perception of balance because there will always be a Fad of the Month which everyone will build around until someone comes up with something new. For instance when it goes into open beta and people figure cannons are the best due to alpha strike, everyone stacks "Anti-cannon armor" and people complain cannons are OP and the rest is UP simply because they aren't exploring alternatives. Then eventually someone starts scooting around with a crazy shotgun/stealth build which absolutely wrecks the cannon/anti-cannon meta and people start complaining shotguns are OP and anti-cannon armor needs a buff to also be resistant to shotguns, etc. 

I'm fairly happy with the light/medium/heavy paradigm. 

Posted (edited)

The only thing devs think about is structure parts, structure parts, structure parts. Fixing what the game has that makes players leave it no. Even today I had several storm warnings in ship graveyard´s map and cheaters still continue to exploit the map bug, wich has been reported a long time ago and nothing was done. AI in mammoth bots, none. Spectator mode instead of actual battle continues, etc etc etc. But no, what is important is changing structure parts every update and it seems its the most important thing in the future also.

I like the idea of the new content, especially the specific armor parts against specific damage but to me the most important thing in a game is running well, free of bugs. Only after that problem is solved new content should be added...

Edited by WillDragon
Adding text

3 hours ago, WillDragon said:

The only thing devs think about is structure parts, structure parts, structure parts. Fixing what the game has that makes players leave it no. Even today I had several storm warnings in ship graveyard´s map and cheaters still continue to exploit the map bug, wich has been reported a long time ago and nothing was done. AI in mammoth bots, none. Spectator mode instead of actual battle continues, etc etc etc. But no, what is important is changing structure parts every update and it seems its the most important thing in the future also.

I like the idea of the new content, especially the specific armor parts against specific damage but to me the most important thing in a game is running well, free of bugs. Only after that problem is solved new content should be added...

i do agree with this, but who knows they might be trying to figer out how to squish the bug for the OBT update, or maybe have it already done. (cuase from the looks of it, they are trying to prove old while adding new. but you never know, you might be right, i might be right.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, WillDragon said:

Even today I had several storm warnings in ship graveyard´s map and cheaters still continue to exploit the map bug

Never played storm warning, but today i discovered a spot on the founders canyon map, where you could drive behind the rocks and happily snipe without being seen. I was about to fill in a report, but this spot was already discovered by Hypertion. See here, there is a rock which you can clip through.

That's the oldest map of the game and this place was just reported 1,5 month ago!!! Till then i actually thought to exploit the maps you need a specialized build (rockets,etc.), but that spot is just "drive there" (on the oldest map!). Imho we should be granted an "inspection mode" from the devs, where you can check/test all maps and items/weapons. I can totally understand, why they don't put in OBT. If i get sniped out of the rock scenery without seeing the enemy player, i would be pissed.

Edited by Kirowetz

what do you expect? it's not like we really can check maps for bugs since we can't load them into test drive

While those new structure parts look smexy...we are still waiting for OBT. Is this a distraction? Having a larger community could help in terms of pointing out bugs and what not. I have been talking to my friends at work about this game for a while right now and they can't believe how long this has been in CBT.

This game is the sickness and I always sign on at least once a day/night so please don't let it die. Go OBT! Also, those new cabins those bots are rockin' would look nice in the garage. Hint! Hint! One last request, implement a harpoon gun. Do it! You won't!!

NobodyOfTargem (Posted )

Hi there! You're the second wold on this forum, y'know:) Crossout is Targem's most ambitious project so far (Battle Mages and Hard Truck Apocalypse excluded), so we most definitely pushing it forward. And the harpoon gun will be - later. We've collected a number of requests on a harpoon gun and now we've created a prototype for it. Modelling and testing is yet to come.

we do need some form of suspension adjustments and under armor.

NobodyOfTargem:  And the harpoon gun will be - later. We've collected a number of requests on a harpoon gun and now we've created a prototype for it. Modelling and testing is yet to come

... why don't you put this in the news? feels like a scavanger hunt here sometimes...

NobodyOfTargem (Posted )

Hi, Rackham. Maybe we could.

Welp i hope the grille parts let through dmg :D

(No seriously, maybe we could do it better this time. Like no 6 space no dmg through nonsense. And cannon shells actually go through as well=balanced? Pls don't crucify me..)

Truly beautiful models. Just wish we could get more shapes of pieces (3x2/1x2/etc.).

Speaking of structural components I can't say I'm enthused about the unmodifiable weapon turrets and having to make gunbeds like in robocraft again if I want more firepower and/or have weapons for longer than a hit.

Hello,i have a problem a software that includes a virus can you explain me if it's normal (The file name is Crashreport.exe).
Please answer me.
Cordially