Sign in to follow this  
RustCrow

Build mode - Armor value view/Color coding

Would it be possible to add extra views to the build mode, much like how Warthunder has with the X-Ray and Armor value modes where the parts of your vehicle would be color coded according to their armor value in relation to other parts.  It would help a lot to see weakspots/over-building/weak mounting points.

• Upvote 3

Not sure how that would work, it all depends on player-placement of parts so every weak-spot would be invisible to enemy anyway.

• Upvote 2

Armor value mode:

Shading the parts with a overlay color ranging from red to green (like the orange of the attachment points only the entire part) according to their armor value so the parts that has the highest armor value would display red and those with the least armor value in green.  This would assist the builder in:

- Giving you a overall overview of your armor value spread across the vehicle.

- Highlight unnecessary armor that can be stripped off to avoid bloated PS.

- Highlight weak armor where you actually intended to place strong armor but got the armor value mixed up in your head.

X-Ray mode:

Shading the parts semi-transparent would help in: 

- Remembering with a glance where, as a simple example, you have placed your gas tank among the hundreds of other parts on your car and if you actually remembered to do so.

- Would give you a clearer view of said gas tank to see if you have it completely encased or inadvertently missed a spot due to other parts cluttering your view.

- Combined with the Armor value mode would point out where you inadvertently attached a high armor value part on a low armor value part rendering the high value part ineffective if the low value part got one shot.

- Downloaded blueprints can be assessed with a glance instead of needing to be disassembled piece by piece. 

This of course is not to detract from the art of building a great vehicle but more to make it easier and quicker to assess your build (Could even be limited to a craft-able workshop item only available to pro's if so wished).  Test drive is of course very important to assess your build but I find it very subjective.  For some reason it seems just a bit too easy to destroy parts on your own vehicle during test drive.  I don't know if this is due to some kind of "buff", perception or something else (Would be nice if the AI you spawn with "O" would be driving your own vehicle actually).  

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing our suggestions, much appreciated =)

• Upvote 2

It's a good idea but I see a problem: different part sizes. So each part should show a different color not based on pure structure, but on Structure density.

example: a 1x1x1 component with 10 structure points would have a density of 10 (10 structure per volume point). A 2x1x1 component with 10 structure points would have a density of 5. A 2x2x2 component with 10 structure points would have a density of 1.25 only, so eight times frailer than the first one - despite having the same structure point value displayed.

With a structure density-based color system, we would certainly build our vehicles differently. It could be mapped on F key during build, rotating from normal view / hook points view / structure density view.

• Upvote 3

I like that idea. I like that idea a lot.

having the blueprints/exhibition builds highlighted that one has all parts for would be helpful to

This is one hell of an idea! I'd love to see it implemented, this would make my builds get built so much better! Also, not having to deconstruct myself to check if I have a part on would be nice too! +1

Garage X-ray for engine, generator. fuel tank ........ would be great when pulling up an old build. See what it has.

Worrying about weak spots is pointless till aim bots are policed. Scorpion battle is a great place to find abusers. Until everyone is a veteran player....... just going to get matched against vehicles that your best build will melt to before you reload. There just needs to be lower PS matches that epic and/or relic items are not allowed.

Sign in to follow this