Nusz_pel

How to run Crossout on PotatoComputer

1. Prepare

- If you play on laptop go to energy saving settings and turn off all restrictions, play on power supply to best results and keep cool air

- Close all unnecessary programs

2. In game:

- Turn off car debris and sheel quality

v6K8pWc.png

- Switch display mode to Full-screen

2dh12B1.png

- Chose advanced settings to low

VqLgnxr.png

- Some settings can still be high, turn off filtration to None, Shadow quality to low, and Tyre tracks to off.

Change resulution to lowest:

KS0va03.png

Make sure to apply settings.

Optional:

V-sync on and fps limit to 30

lVjzdrc.png

Wery extreme:

- (Windows 7/Vista)Turn off Aero

- kill explorer.exe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Make sure your pagefile is large enough, especially if you are facing RAM limitations. In the ideal case, windows will swap out most of the operating system to the page file allowing for the maximum amount of RAM being available to the game.

• Upvote 2

lol, potatoe computer, fair guide m8.

• Upvote 1

Lot of this stuff still holds true.

Turn all your settings way down and enable "legacy compability" which is "lower than low" graphical option. Only difference is: keep your resolution at native but lower the resolution scaling down to 75% or even 50%. This way your hud is still rendered at native resolution without blur resulting from the scaling. Naturally you wanna run the game on fullscreen so the desktop behind it doesn't get rendered wasting your precious resources.

For capping the frame rate you could either turn the "Active game fps limit" all the way down to 30 like OP suggests. Or you could enable "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" vsync in Nvidia control panel. If you do, I'm pretty sure the Active game fps limit won't affect anything anymore. You also wanna turn off the ingame vsync if you use the adaptive. Personally I've had best luck with using the Adaptive (half refresh rate) when capping games at 30fps.

ARES makes a good point about using pagefile. If you have only 4GB or even 2GB of ram. Make sure you create 4-6GB size pagefile so the "unnecessary" stuff (ie: not the game content) gets cached there as you play.

Aero off: For easy on-off switch for Aero I suggest your create a custom "desktop theme" for it. On your desktop->right click->personalize->new theme. While the theme is enabled, go to control panel options to turn off Aero and save the theme under the name "Aero off". Now whenever you right click the desktop and click "personalize" you'll have a theme that switches Aero off. Choosing the default theme will enable it again. I myself have such theme saved and use it whenever I play some graphically intensive games.

In Nvidia control panel choose "prefer maximum performance" as your power mode for the game so the computer makes sure horsepower is always available. If you're CPU bound in some scenarios you could also try increasing the "maximum pre-rendered frames" option which is at the botton in Nvidia control panel. Default is 1 and increasing it to 2 or even 3 can help with smoothing the frame rate whenever performance drops. The downside it's gonna increase your input latency.

I don't know what the AMD or Intel equivalent settings are but I'm sure at least AMD cards have same settings maybe under different names.

1 hour ago, Spedemix said:

-skip-

Since I'm going to try to get this to work on a 2013 laptop with a celeron procesor for a couple days... I'm glad you necroed this XDD 

^^You really ought to have no issues doing it (mmh, depending on the gpu). Hmm, I might try to install this on my 2007 macbook just to see if it's doable.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, Spedemix said:

Lot of this stuff still holds true.

Turn all your settings way down and enable "legacy compability" which is "lower than low" graphical option. Only difference is: keep your resolution at native but lower the resolution scaling down to 75% or even 50%. This way your hud is still rendered at native resolution without blur resulting from the scaling. Naturally you wanna run the game on fullscreen so the desktop behind it doesn't get rendered wasting your precious resources.

For capping the frame rate you could either turn the "Active game fps limit" all the way down to 30 like OP suggests. Or you could enable "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" vsync in Nvidia control panel. If you do, I'm pretty sure the Active game fps limit won't affect anything anymore. You also wanna turn off the ingame vsync if you use the adaptive. Personally I've had best luck with using the Adaptive (half refresh rate) when capping games at 30fps.

ARES makes a good point about using pagefile. If you have only 4GB or even 2GB of ram. Make sure you create 4-6GB size pagefile so the "unnecessary" stuff (ie: not the game content) gets cached there as you play.

Aero off: For easy on-off switch for Aero I suggest your create a custom "desktop theme" for it. On your desktop->right click->personalize->new theme. While the theme is enabled, go to control panel options to turn off Aero and save the theme under the name "Aero off". Now whenever you right click the desktop and click "personalize" you'll have a theme that switches Aero off. Choosing the default theme will enable it again. I myself have such theme saved and use it whenever I play some graphically intensive games.

In Nvidia control panel choose "prefer maximum performance" as your power mode for the game so the computer makes sure horsepower is always available. If you're CPU bound in some scenarios you could also try increasing the "maximum pre-rendered frames" option which is at the botton in Nvidia control panel. Default is 1 and increasing it to 2 or even 3 can help with smoothing the frame rate whenever performance drops. The downside it's gonna increase your input latency.

I don't know what the AMD or Intel equivalent settings are but I'm sure at least AMD cards have same settings maybe under different names.

I consider my pc a potato since it is a core2duo, 4GB, Nvidia GT1030. But I'm not really limited enough to need compatibility mode since I play at 60fps, 720p and "medium" quality.

My main problem is that sometimes I have freezes (2 or 3 per battle) and I really don't want to lose more quality level.
On the other hand, I am not clear on the impacts of each of the options or if I should work on the Nvidia configuration or just use the game controls.
But the advice all you have given is highly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.4ace5d839629559721238f27

image.thumb.png.756504553b4c0e5d066849c3

Edited by lamanu

On 3/25/2020 at 11:10 PM, lamanu said:

I consider my pc a potato since it is a core2duo, 4GB, Nvidia GT1030. But I'm not really limited enough to need compatibility mode since I play at 60fps, 720p and "medium" quality.

My main problem is that sometimes I have freezes (2 or 3 per battle) and I really don't want to lose more quality level.
On the other hand, I am not clear on the impacts of each of the options or if I should work on the Nvidia configuration or just use the game controls.
But the advice all you have given is highly appreciated.

I gotta say Core2Duo processor running this game 60fps on medium settings is really impressive!

For the freezes you should install MSI afterburner (which also installs Rivatuner) and configure the OSD to show up on your game screen. Let it run and see what happens to your cpu and gpu usage when those freezes happen. Usually when a microstutter like this happens it often means your entire CPU or GPU gets halted for a short moment and its usage drops to zero. That's why the screen freeezes since the CPU or GPU does nothing for two seconds.Usually a problem like that alludes to a driver or power management issue.

If the GPU or CPU doesn't stall during those freezes then it's possible you're running out of RAM. Check your RAM usage during the freezes. If you're running short, maybe make sure you've set up pagefiling (I'd suggest 4GB pagefile for 4GB RAM) or go through Task manager and see if there are any processes which are not necessary but use RAM and figure out a way to keep those off during gaming.

Ingame vs Nvidia settings, here's how I approach it. The ingame is where I want to do most of my tweaking. If you're already looked into Nvidia control panel you've seen quite a number of settings default to "application-controlled" or "Auto". That means you control that particular setting from the application and leave it alone in Nvidia CP. Then there are few settings which you cannot tweak ingame but you can tweak in Nvidia CP. Well those are the ones you wanna tweak in Nvidia CP. Use that idea as a baseline.

The Nvidia control panel also lets you "override application settings" as it puts it and thus allows you to do things a game could do if it had an option to enable it. it's not really relevant for Crossout since the game has a pretty darn good options menu and has options for AA, AF and so on. So in case of Crossout there is not a whole lotta need for tweaking in Nvidia Control Panel.  But for example some older games do not offer anisotropic filtration but gives you some older options for texture filtering. Well in that case you could enable x16 AF in the Nvidia control panel to get slightly better looking textures at angles.

Your settings look good. Most of the settings which hit the performance hard are already turned down. Like Particle density and Shadow quality which affect GPU, Draw distance and Destruction Physics which affect CPU and Texture quality which ofc affects VRAM. Apart from resolution scale and anti-aliasing (which is also turned down here) the rest of the settings are rather mild on performance. I think the game has dynamic resolution scaling nowadays but you need fullscreen to use it. So you could go fullscreen (might also help with the freezing) and enable that to even out the performance even further and/or turn on couple of the settings like anisotropic filtering.

Glad if I could be of help. :)

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 10:10 PM, lamanu said:

But I'm not really limited enough to need compatibility mode

My main problem is that sometimes I have freezes (2 or 3 per battle)

Wrong aproach, that mode is the only thing that can fix those freezes, after that you can actually increase some of the graphic options (how much, it depends on your graphic card) and still have 60 fps with no freezes.

I also play on c2d and 4 GB ram PC, while having almost 10 years old GPU gtx 560 ti, and with compatibility mode on, I can comfortably play on dual monitor setup with youtube podcasts or music on second screen. In crossout I use weapons that require good aiming and no lag gaming experience and that compatibility mode was the only thing that I have to engage to get those.

Try it, then you can increase graphics in some areas.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:05 PM, Spedemix said:

Glad if I could be of help. :)

I Know that Spedemix, You are one of the most good and useful people in this forum.

I send you a big hug from the powerful empire of Uruguay. (it's a joke, just look at what Uruguay is on google map).

Edited by lamanu
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 5:50 AM, lamanu said:

I Know that Spedemix, You are one of the most good and useful people in this forum.

I send you a big hug from the powerful empire of Uruguay. (it's a joke, just look at what Uruguay is on google map).

giphy.gifgiphy.gif