FiveOClock

Setting up Structure - Good and Bad

Interesting.

Thank you.

heavy parts have lower powerscore. so you can have more hp with the same powerscore so if your vehicle not overload just use those heavy parts.screenshot-170524-154236.thumb.jpg.c31d7screenshot-170524-154923.thumb.jpg.3f72bscreenshot-170524-160107.thumb.jpg.444ffscreenshot-170524-160940.thumb.jpg.f42ccscreenshot-170524-161605.thumb.jpg.4952c

• Upvote 2

In CBT the weakest weapon I tested for damage was the beginner MG and the toughest weapon was the exploding lance. Getting hit by an exploding lance is the same as being shot 7 times by a 57mm cannon. Keep that in mind if you see an opponent with a lance.

I spent more than 20 hours testing weapon damage against parts in closed beta. In my testing there were three parts that were really effective. The Siberian train plow (Scavengers) is the closest thing to real armor you will get. I used the Siberian Plow to build vehicles that looked like tanks and stopped damage like tanks.  The second part was the small plow. It stops an extra 57mm cannon round which is valuable.  The third part is the Large Tire which is a blue craft part. Smaller tires don't stop side damage to your vehicle. Putting 10-12 Large tires on a vehicle creates an effective layer of side armor better than the structure pieces you get.  Large tires do not reduce speed much so you can have a heavily protected vehicle that is very fast. When I get some time I will show some weird builds like the tire armor and sierpinksi polygon armor. We will also talk about minimalist armor which is important for completing seasons tasks that suck.

• Upvote 3

How exactly would you make a hollow box or outer wall design viable with the part limit you have? Doesn't seem doable. 

This is a game of glass cannons. So you can't have a large hollow box wall. But you can put the hollow boxes to block critical areas.

But there is something else you can do.

screenshot-170613-001209.thumb.jpg.28e91

This is one of my basic builds I use. Those 3 large tired on each side will soak 810 points of damage without making me slower. Those two cannons in front will soak 434 damage.  In order to get through my front someone has to do 434 damage and take dual cannon fire. In order to flank me they have to do 810 damage to get through the tires. See the acceleration and speed on my build? Large tires don't limit speed like tracks do.  Large tired are large enough to shield the cabin, engine and generator.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, seavyce said:

Nice build - where do you keep your barrel & generator?

He probably has the barrel below the cabin. And he doesn't need a generator - the cabin provides 10 power, enough for the 2 cannons.

That is another tip btw. Notice how the black paint is hiding my generator and engine. Some paints make it harder to see your critical parts. Other paints make them easier to target. If you are in serious mode make sure to only use paints that make parts harder to see.

On 12.6.2017 at 6:41 AM, FiveOClock said:

<snip>

Edited by Soar
I accidentally removed my response in an edit and the editor is bugged so I can't edit in text to outside of the quote because the post has a quote in it. Continuing in next post.

On 12.6.2017 at 6:41 AM, FiveOClock said:

screenshot-170611-224857.thumb.jpg.f1646

I like these piece of structure. What makes them good? You get more than 1 structure point for each kg of weight.  Its the best bang for the buck. Using these pieces will save you weight . You can use that weight for better weapons or more speed. Note the piece in the picture gets you 22 structure for only 18 KG

Good guide, nice tips. However, the three pictured pieces don't stop bullets, and unlike most structure pieces, their structure value does not contribute to the cabin's structure, so I don't see how their structure-to-weight ratio is relevant at all. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: After a little bit of research, it appears that they actually have some funny mechanics associated with them... They still take damage, but I see people saying that they function as some sort of overpowered super armor because a part of the damage passes through or isn't applied or something? I found a developer post saying that they don't actually reduce the overall amount of damage received since a patch in July, but my testing indicates that they nonetheless have wildly disproportionate durability relative to their HP, presumably because of the portion of the damage that gets passed onto the components they are attached to. You definitely have a point - they must have uses in armor-building. However, it seems like making the best use of them requires being aware of the passthrough mechanic - placing them over flimsy components that could easily get destroyed by the pass-through damage might not be a good idea, for instance.

Edited by Soar
  • Upvote 2

On 6/15/2017 at 6:15 PM, Soar said:

EDIT: After a little bit of research, it appears that they actually have some funny mechanics associated with them... They still take damage, but I see people saying that they function as some sort of overpowered super armor because a part of the damage passes through or isn't applied or something? I found a developer post saying that they don't actually reduce the overall amount of damage received since a patch in July, but my testing indicates that they nonetheless have wildly disproportionate durability relative to their HP, presumably because of the portion of the damage that gets passed onto the components they are attached to. You definitely have a point - they must have uses in armor-building. However, it seems like making the best use of them requires being aware of the passthrough mechanic - placing them over flimsy components that could easily get destroyed by the pass-through damage might not be a good idea, for instance.

I have read good benefits of using those as support trusses for spaced armor, going with the 3x3 block rule for cannon damage using those between the cabin and actual structure in the correct layout can massively reduce damage taken from initial hit. I also found that they are ofc better to mount weapons on if you cannot directly attach said weapons to cab or frame.

Edited by Ottobon

Well done - a succinct guide that needed writing! Some of these ideas aren't new to the older players, but some of course are, and all represent valuable knowledge for newcomers.