Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Poisson0

Persistent packet loss since the last update (0.6.0 Hotfix #1)

11 posts in this topic

An explanation, what have you noticed or what has happened: I have been experiencing severe packet loss since the Hotfix #1 for version 0.6.0. Game is currently unplayable for me.

What did you expect to see/happen: Play the game without packet loss and rubberbanding, like before.

How to recreate the situation: It is persistent for me. I tried both USA and EU servers, checked my connection, antivirus, and firewall settings to see if anything is messed up, but nothing solved it so far.

Details: I experience 10 to 20 seconds of packet loss, 5 to 10 seconds of proper connection, and then again packet loss, which makes the game completely unplayable. During this issue, my ping is usually normal and it is around 50ms.

I joined the game after the Open Beta release, and had this issue twice before the latest update which were temporary and got solved by themselves in less then 24 hours. However, it is now persistent, and I have been unable the play the game for the last three days.

I have a 150/50 Mbps connection which have never caused me any trouble in any other online services (games, websites, TV, etc.). This only happens with crossout.

Bug frequency - How often does the issue occur? It happens in every game since the latest update.

Logs + screenshots: Logs and results of the connection tests are attached. Also, I recorded the same match to demonstrate the issue. It can be found at https://goo.gl/yrHnz9 . It is clearer when the action begins (after 1:30). Note that I seem like not firing due to the connection issues most of the time, but I do fire whenever there is an enemy.

r4wn1Ti.png

chat.log

combat.log

game.log

net.log

Edited by Poisson0

It's something on their back end that's causing the rubber banding. For some reason a small amount of players are getting rubberbanding/packet loss issues post hotfix.

post edit; depending on your router, some have QoS settings that you can mess around with. While QoS is usually built for things like VOIP, it can still make an impact on gaming. My router for example has a "gaming" mode on it.

Edited by therealpete

I have the same issue. Vehicles "blink" from one frame to another, even mine, as the client receive irregular server updates regarding vehicle position. Any attempt to aim with a direct fire weapon (cannon) is almost doomed.

Got this problem some time ago in raids but now it happens in PvP as well.

Unless you play a drone / turret build, literally unplayable.

Edit: turned on in-game statistics (F9 for me, press multiple time to access to more detailed stats). It's not a packet loss (even if from time to time there's a 1% loss) but rather sudden peaks in ping time. My ping is usually 20-30 and quite stable but there are peaks of 150, 350, 800 ms response time frequently and lasting 1-5 seconds. Those situations seem more likely to happen when there's lot of "stuff" happening (both teams engaged in deep melee with vehicles turning around and firing etc.) than when you're just idle as the one of the few survivors in a corner of a map. So it looks more like a server-side issue IMHO.

Note that from the same computer I play other games (like MechWarrior Online) with no such problem.

Edited by Altaweir
details.

2 hours ago, Altaweir said:

I have the same issue. Vehicles "blink" from one frame to another, even mine, as the client receive irregular server updates regarding vehicle position. Any attempt to aim with a direct fire weapon (cannon) is almost doomed.

Edit: turned on in-game statistics (F9 for me, press multiple time to access to more detailed stats). It's not a packet loss (even if from time to time there's a 1% loss) but rather sudden peaks in ping time. My ping is usually 20-30 and quite stable but there are peaks of 150, 350, 800 ms response time frequently and lasting 1-5 seconds. Those situations seem more likely to happen when there's lot of "stuff" happening (both teams engaged in deep melee with vehicles turning around and firing etc.) than when you're just idle as the one of the few survivors in a corner of a map. So it looks more like a server-side issue IMHO.

Note that from the same computer I play other games (like MechWarrior Online) with no such problem.

I think the ping spikes were already addressed, as it has to do with the hops your router has to take to send / receive traffic from the crossout servers. 

9 hours ago, therealpete said:

It's something on their back end that's causing the rubber banding. For some reason a small amount of players are getting rubberbanding/packet loss issues post hotfix.

post edit; depending on your router, some have QoS settings that you can mess around with. While QoS is usually built for things like VOIP, it can still make an impact on gaming. My router for example has a "gaming" mode on it.

It is good to know that is a known problem. I hope that the devs will look into it, and solve it in the next update.

I do not think that QoS will be useful in this situation as there is no load on my network bandwidth.

5 hours ago, Altaweir said:

Our problems might be related but I believe they are slightly different as I do not have sudden peaks in ping (or lag spikes). My ping is around 50-60ms all the time, even when the packet loss and rubber-banding occur.

15 hours ago, therealpete said:

I think the ping spikes were already addressed, as it has to do with the hops your router has to take to send / receive traffic from the crossout servers. 

Crossout servers are in the EU and I see no such ping peaks when playing MW:O on EU servers as well. In fact I have no problem playing even on MW:O US servers (ping is higher, but stable). And this did not happen during CBT.

Will do a trace route later today.

16 hours ago, therealpete said:

Noted on the no load, i'm also assuming you aren't on wireless? 

I am on wireless. Although I don't think it is the problem, I was going to try ethernet connection. However, I wanted to try playing one more time before doing that. I don't know if anything changed on the server side, but the problem seems solved for now. Today I am able to play as before without packet loss or lag.

Just now, Poisson0 said:

I am on wireless. Although I don't think it is the problem, I was going to try ethernet connection. However, I wanted to try playing one more time before doing that. I don't know if anything changed on the server side, but the problem seems solved for now. Today I am able to play as before without packet loss or lag.

I would bet half a bit coin that the wireless is the issue. Please try using it on ethernet. 

4 minutes ago, therealpete said:

I would bet half a bit coin that the wireless is the issue. Please try using it on ethernet. 

As I say I don't think it is the problem as I can play many games without any problem, and can fully utilize the speed of my connection on wireless, but I will try using ethernet connection for sure if the packet loss happens again. Thank you for all your advice and help.

im not wireless and i have the same problem, first time it was only in PvE, but now its in PvP too. Ive tried disconnecting, reconnecting, changing server, nothing to do. All on your shoulders Crossout team

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0