SpiderDungeon

I love the legs, but they seem abandoned.

9 posts in this topic

I love the legs. They aren't fast, but they're nearly unbreakable (in the sense that I usually die before losing any), they negate cannon recoil, can swivel and strafe, can climb to a degree, and they don't slide on sand. That more than makes up for the lack of speed! Though, it seems to me like legs were added and forgotten about. What I mean is, in any match I go into, I'm the only person using legs ever. Hell, even tank tracks are used frequently. I've thought for a bit as to why, and I find it boils down to a gripe list for the most part.

The controls feel too floaty at times, and too unresponsive at others. If you've ever tried turning, you know what I mean by that. It's not like forward/sideways has any issues though; the acceleration is expected in something so heavy. However, even for something heavy, legs have very little reason if any at all to be so slow when turning, and then gradually speed up to unbelievable speeds in the turn! It's completely counter-intuitive and counter-productive for the cannons and rockets it should shine with. If you want to adjust slightly, you tap a movement key, and move in that direction. The legs don't turn slightly. Byt half a degree at best. If you want to adjust a greater distance, you hold the A or D key, but you end up going so fast that you overshoot your mark by FAR more than you should. Outside of the annoyances, there's also the fact that the legs are basically hard-countered by fast vehicles or anything that squeezes its way beneath you, preventing you from doing anything to them at all. I put a sawblade underneath the chassis to try and remedy this, but it doesn't help much. As tanky as legs are, they're simply too slow and/or too fragile for their own good.

All in all, I love that legs are included in the game, because they have SO much potential to be just as good as wheels in their own way. The potential is still very much there, and I can practically feel how good legs could be with a bit more love. What do you guys think?

Most arnt using them because they are expensive to obtain right now and would rather purple guns otherwise they would be used a lot more. They seem fine to me.

Im not a fan of these spider-legs, rather womens's leg, but those grip, and handling of that are make me happy. Well, these legs are highly armored, and "nearly unbreakable", but i had seen how the simple WASP rocket can handle those legs, and rip them off easily. Maybe its got some serious hit before those fatal shots.

1 hour ago, DUROV196616 said:

Im not a fan of these spider-legs, rather womens's leg, but those grip, and handling of that are make me happy. Well, these legs are highly armored, and "nearly unbreakable", but i had seen how the simple WASP rocket can handle those legs, and rip them off easily. Maybe its got some serious hit before those fatal shots.

ive aimed at the frame hte legs are attached to.
those have less structure.
with the legs lifting the vehicle so high, its actually pretty easy

8 hours ago, DUROV196616 said:

In test mode, I've found that they can take way more WASP rockets than they should. A TOW missile can take one out in one shot though.

6 hours ago, RajRocket said:

ive aimed at the frame hte legs are attached to.
those have less structure.
with the legs lifting the vehicle so high, its actually pretty easy

I wouldn't expect that strategy to be nerfed honestly. Sure it's annoying, but it's a counter, and an understandable one at that.

What should be done is to make it harder to approach the spiders. Right now they feel too slow (even for what they are, and especially considering other movement types in the game that are WAY faster), and turning speed is incredibly hard to control. Hell, given their speed and difficulty turning, +1 energy for 4 legs (or +1 every pair, idk) to make them the tank they're supposed to be would make me happy. They'll still be useless in raids though haha

Tracks and Legs are not in a good place right now. People aren't using them because they know that.

This game has a cap point in EVERY map. You have to get somewhere or get back to somewhere or protect somewhere. Tracks and Legs are the slowest "wheels" in the game by far. As stated above, people just shoot off your weapons or frame and ignore the tracks/legs. They also have the worst grip of any wheel. So if someone tries to push you, it doesn't matter if they're using starter wheels on a junky cab, you're going to get pushed.

They need to give tracks/legs something besides health. Because right now there is no reason to take them. They are a huge disadvantage.

The problem with legs is that they are extremely expensive to make and you need 4 of them to have an OK walker, 6 of them to have a good walker, and probably 8 to have an outstanding walker. Tracks you can get away with just 2, and 4 is already levi sized, so they are a lot more forgiving.

They also aren't horribly fast, and in this game mobility is ultimately the key to survival because armor isn't worth bupkis thanks to weapons getting blown off no matter how much steel you piled around your cabin. If you want to really rack up the kills and not die in this game pretty much rule #1 is always fight when you outnumber the enemy. If you can break the battle down into multiple clashes where you have overwhelming numerical superiority you can tease out a perfect victory. The ability to facilitate this is entirely dependent on your ability to respond to your radar. If you're slow you simply can't, and it's easy for the enemy team to single you out for a quick beatdown.

Edited by Aetrion

I made some test with legs with the Steppenwolves 4 legged blueprint.

It still can rotate (controlled) with just one leg which is better than anything wheels and tracks can ever hope to achieve. The height should in theory offer a certain defense against many melee weapons as those tend to be mounted low to the ground. Of course, if they underdrive you, that is a problem.

I think that Steppenwolves could use their own frames. Reinforced Frames that are durable enough to withstand the fire they are so much more likely to take because of height elevation by legs. Scavenges should also get Heavy Frames that are more durable but much heavier.

The legs also could use a special ability. What about one that makes underdriving unhealthy for your enemy? A few ideas:

• Hydraulik Hammer: All your legs move inwards and use their quite serious hydraulic power on the hapless victim that thought that driving under you was a bright idea. Imagine the legs as literally hydraulically powered chisels/hammers. 3 from the left, 3 from the right give the victim a serious hydraulik kick with their part that normallys stands on the ground. The enemy takes basically 3 hammers left and 3 hammers right at the same time.  Heavy damage, but you will loose movement for 5 seconds afterwards because they hydraulics are overburdened by this maneuver and because you fall down because the legs where not on the ground but on the sides of your victim.  If there is no vehicle below you and you still trigger it, you will embarassingly fall to the floor, requiring 5 seconds for the overburdened hydraulics and another 5 seconds to get up again.

Requires to have at least 2 legs, one on each side.

• Crushing love: The legs move outwards and then in a brutal movement engage full hydraulic power, making your walker jump a meter into the air. While airborne, the legs enter the most lowest possible position so that ground contact is avoided as long as possible. Your 15 ton walker that just was jumped a meter higher than usual now has nothing at all supporting it anymore and it comes crashing down... right onto that happless buggy. The impact of so much airborne mass deals severe damage to all top mounted not protected guns as they get mutilated in your steel made frame. Also could loose some wheels due to weight impact breaking them off. After a few seconds of heavy crushing, the legs reactivate and lift up your walker again into normal height. The huge amount of energy required for the jump however makes this maneuver only possible once every 45 seconds or so. And it still needs time to get up again. Works with only one leg, although at reduced power. The enemy is still below you and any surviving guns can now take potshots at your belly.

• Kick Out: Legs on one side move inwards but unlike in Hydraulik Hammer, they dont loose ground contact. They just limit the space and keep the walker upright. The legs of the other side try to make a grapping move from as below as possible.... the goal being to turn the enemy vehicle onto its side by lifting it up with the legs from one side where the other sides holds against it. Once the enemy vehicle is on its side, the aft legs on both sides give it a kick to make it come out under you. There it lays then.... probably still on its side depending on design and easy prey for your waiting guns. Due to lower overall power requirment and no falling involved it only takes arround 2.5 seconds for your legs to be capable of normal movement again. Drawbacks include lack of any damage and that some designs may be incapable of being turned on their side which means that in all this time they will fire every gun they have at you. Also you need at least 3 legs still operating to make this happen.

• Dont step on my toes: Pesky buggy below you and does not want to drive out? Lets help ourselves then. Legs on one side go lower the body while legs on the other side raise it. Then a quick step and we are stepping on him. Every step of the legs on his roof deals some damage, possible damaging guns and other vital parts. Might also damage his wheels as yet again a lot of weight is on his poor buggy, but this time without the added inertia of the jump from Chrushing Love. You can either walk down from him, at which time he is not longer under you... or if you feel particularly nasty (and waited 5 more seconds for your hydrauliks to recover from the exhausting step on) you can execute a...

• Hammer of Mercy: Basically like crushing love... except you are not standing on the ground but on the enemys roof which means two things:
    - The jump that propells your walker a meter higher than it is currently standing is not done on the ground but on your enemys roof which certainly wont like that treatment (deals damage for every leg on the roof)
    - Due to this and the fact that you are as such basically your entire leg height above his roof means that when you come crashing down you will do so with more more way to accelerate and as such the damage from this will be much larger. Should it however fail because your enemy took the smart route and drove outwards, and be it only somewhat, the resulting crash landing of yours not only has a high chance of landing yourself on the side, but also will deal substantial damage to your vehicle.

A few more ideas for general usage of legs as melee weapons:

• Hydraulik slap: One of your legs (nearest to enemy) executes a swift maneuver and give said enemy a good slap. Deals moderate damage and can possible make light designs without a good beam fall onto their side.
  • Hydraulik Round Kick: Works on enemies left or right. Your vehicle makes a 45 degree turn, then the legs on the enemies side lift up with the exception of the first one. The first one moves inside while the last one(s) and the legs of the other side of your vehicle execute a rapid turn. Basically in a 6 legged configuration you have left leg 1 and 3 right legs still with ground contact while the remaining 2 legs are lifted up and act as improvised hammer.
  • Hydraulik Charge: Your legs are temporarly overburdened and extend more outwards than usual. Your ride height is decreased as a result which makes underdriving you more difficult. Then they accelerate faster and to more speed than normal maximizing ramming damage. Due to overburdening of the hydraulic system, you can only move at half speed for 10 seconds after this maneuver.
  • Oh no, you wont: Tired of getting belly shot all the time, your two foward legs move temporarily inside as much as possible. Instead of cleanly driving underwards you, the last thing the buggy driver ever sees in his life is a pair of solid steel legs that just werent there half a second ago right into his path. Deals twice the ramming damage as usual. Involved Legs take damage and loose movement speed for 10 seconds.
  • Hydraulik Suprise: By severly running the hydraulic motor above rated specifications your vehicle can occassionaly rotate much faster than normally. Due to overheating of the hydraulic fluid, this can only be done once every 45 seconds and also makes any other hydraulik related maneuver impossible.
  • Hydraulik Escape: Again, overburdening the hydraulic system and chancing pace it is possible to have a subtantial increase in top speed for a short time. However, even the most minor hit when going at this speed will make the legs trip, sending your vehicle crashing down on the ground and requiring arround 10 seconds to recover from.
  • Hydraulik Duck: To avoid incoming fire, the legs cease supporting your vehicle immediatly. You crash down on the ground hopefully avoiding the incoming fire barely. Because the hydraulics were not overburdened here, it only takes 4 seconds to get up again.

Just some ideas. In general, hydraulic sounds should alert both enemies and allied players about the impending maneuver.

Edited by ARES_IV
typo