Gene__Inari

Thoughts about common building mistakes / People not understanding Power Score

Addig to this, i laugh at parties demanding 6k ps for normal raids, and when you join them theyre just chord equipped slow piles of scrap, with fuel tanks. Why?

they think having a high ps is a key to raid victory. Lol

This train of thought has a dark side to: 

People scraping radios and radars, radio-detectors just to save some PS rating. Car jack's left the meta long ago.

Smurfing and twinking in low PS games - a 4 wheeler with an end-game gun capable of one-shooting the plebs or a drone carrier smuggling in guns with lower power scores on drones than the actual guns power scores themselves. And to top it off, they steal all the kills and use the team as meat-shields because they can't take a hit. When MM screws them over and there is no meat-shield to rely on, battles end faster than ewer.

TL;DR

This PS MM encourages leechers and less team-play.

Edited by N1Ml0cK
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, N1Ml0cK said:

People scraping radios and radars, radio-detectors just to save some PS rating. Car jack's left the meta long ago.

Smurfing and twinking in low PS games - a 4 wheeler with an end-game gun capable of one-shooting the plebs or a drone carrier smuggling in guns with lower power scores on drones than the actual guns power scores themselves. And to top it off, they steal all the kills and use the team as meat-shields because they can't take a hit. When MM screws them over and there is no meat-shield to rely on, battles end faster than ewer.

TL;DR

People minmaxing in building games is to be expected. Have been playing Robocraft back then when it has tiers... I have seen it all. The radio and radar compete for the part limit as well. They are maybe not useless, but other parts could be more useful. Especially with the average combat ranges in mind. And especially if you are bordering the upper limit of your current PS range, the question is reasonable to ask: Does this part bring sufficient advantages to bear to make it worth the increased cost? Not to mention that two fuel barrels (small and big one) are now pretty much mandatory for farming. That cost me a lot of space below my cabin. Not to mention 2 parts and some PS.

In case of the car jack, its biggest issue is probably the energy cost. It is nice to have when you have energy remaining, but the moment you are running low it is time to exchange it for something more valuable. It is certainly not worth adding a generator over it. It also is most useful when you have taken heavy damage as this is the most common cause of needing a car jack in the first place, that is reckless driving aside. As such mounting it in a protected spot like below your cabin is useful, but it also means it will consume highly valuable space that can be used for much better things like ammo, generators... fuel tanks... ect) Add to the fact that after 30 seconds you get a free one, not to mention help by the team.

I would also guess that high PS weapons in lowtier often benefit from a lack of teamwork. After a teammate thankfully took a purple rocket hit in my place my twin avengers put an swift end to the enemies delusions of grandeur. But of course you at first need to find him, understand teh threat and then survive his mighty purple. That requires teamwork or a pretty durable build.

I am honestly surprised how well by twin avenger build does at nearly 4K PS. I fully expected to be shot to pieces but I - for my standards - do pretty well. I guess being a scoped sniper build helps, not to mention that white cannons are comparable powerful for a white tier but still. The very heavy frontal armor and gun mounts make my loose guns only after sustained damage in most cases and grants sufficient overall durability to take a few serious hits from purple guns.

3 hours ago, N1Ml0cK said:

Ironically enough, I have a radar+radio in the light 3500 build. And my 4k build has an Epic Radar-detector. My 4k build would be at 3200 because I have 800 PS worth of fuel barrels and decor on it. Anything can be made to fit within a certain PS bracket. And personally, I'm glad people almost never use radios/radar because then I know my team has an edge with information.

People will always squeeze PS to fit what they find valuable, most just don't value spotting/information sharing like I do.

17 minutes ago, ARES_IV said:

And to top it off, they steal all the kills and use the team as meat-shields because they can't take a hit.

I blame the lack of depth to the reward system for that. Damage is the only thing that counts, so people will always prioritize weapons. And the chaotic, fast-paced nature of the game, people who sit in the second line but still contribute large amounts of damage are rewarded the most.

Edited by GeneInari
  • Upvote 2

There's also the competition between making a vehicle that's efficient vs. making a vehicle that actually looks cool. I know min-maxers don't give one whit about actually making an awesome looking car but a lot of people do and often it's at odds with making your vehicle as effective as possible. All those little doodads, pipes, and trim take up valuable part space while adding little in terms of protection or HP.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GeneInari said:

People cheese the PS MM by stripping everything but their weapons because damage is the only thing that is rewarded.

Well +1 for you, all observations and conclusions are spot on.

I just want to add, that as long as you hit the xp cap almost every match, you might as well min max a bit less and go with your most fun to play builds.

Personally, i sealclub at 2500 - 3500 PS atm, but i do carry both barrels for extra fuel.

16 hours ago, N1Ml0cK said:

TL;DR

Theres no team-play in this game, only thing that gets you something are kills. You'll prob end up with 0-low points for playing as a team. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RustMechanic said:

It's funny how I can have 2 specteres,1 cooler,6 wheels and 1 blue fuel tank on my 3.5k build.

Well.. Im using 2 purple Equalizers + 1 blue attack drone + both fuel tanks + Growl at 3.9k PS and it works actually quite well. I could shave the armor, 2 wheels and some cosmetics to use it on 3.5k but its not worth since i play vs lots of guys with 3.5/3,8k PS 

The main issue with New Players is that they do not understand game-mechanics, they never read anything, when I first started, I didnt read anything and I sucked for a month, then I learned from my mistakes and read some material made by veteran players.

I play XO for 4 days now (I think 4, perhaps 5 ^^ ) and I'm always interested in deeper insights. But I miss some quite basic informations. Especially inside the game itselfe. Why dont they let us build the starter car our selfes. I dont mean completely free, but advised step by step with some informations why to do it in this way and not in another. Or point out, that there are other soulutions for example.

When i first started to build a bit on my car, it was not very clear for me, how I can influence the stability of my construction. Lets take a MG as a simple example. It has 4 groundpatterns (2x2) to get sticked to another part. But... cares the game about the amount of sticked groundpatterns or not? So, does it need more firepower to kill that MG when all 4 patterns are sticked or is it the same when only one stickes? For such questions I came here - and found nothing ^^ I guess its just too basic >< At least i actually try to stick parts at as many other parts (a van-side sticked to the cabin, to a roof-part and to a side-part as bad example ^^ ) with as many uses groundpatterns. But I just dont know if its usefull :/

And that leaded me to thoughts about this topic. Because my way needs much stuff and always maxes out the possible part-count (actually 40 of 40) and so I have 2 or 3, 4 white trash guns with a 3k+ PS car... yeah >< That those PS are meant as a battleweight factor for matchmaking (to say it in WoT words xD ) seemed a logical idea and that led me to the thought, that all thos many parts raising the PS perhaps isnt such a great idea when you still have the same crap guns like with 1.5k PS.

So I think this game needs much more basic infos directly in the game. Noone can calculate with factors he doesnt even know ;)

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2017 at 9:13 AM, Dengar_ said:

The main issue with New Players is that they do not understand game-mechanics, they never read anything, when I first started, I didnt read anything and I sucked for a month, then I learned from my mistakes and read some material made by veteran players.

This is why I'm here. Started yesterday. Felt invincible for an hour our so, then started hitting more varied opponents. Figured I better hit the forums for tips.

Hi, great guide but I have one problem - I don't have all required parts (some armor and ammo pack) but I tried to assemble it anyway. It looks like on screenshot 1. As you can see generator is vulnerable :/. I also attached chassis view: I put there radio, rare fuel barrel and generator. Any tips on how to improve this build?

screenshot-170701-020052.jpg

screenshot-170701-020619.jpg

@Grimmer

.Buy a Jawbreaker Cabin and delete the generator, you do not need itanymore. You will have some more PS but not so much.

.Then go with the 57mm guns behind the cabin and take them one step down. Try to fix the guns with min. 3 points to the chassis, so it willbe harder for an enemy infront of you to shoot the guns.

.Try a scope instead of radar and mount it between the guns on the cabin.

.Try to make your build wider, so you can hide more under your cabin.

regards and lotof gg

On 6/24/2017 at 1:05 AM, GeneInari said:

And I think it has to do with the fact that people misinterpret the meaning of "Power Score." Not realizing that PS is merely a MM weighting tool in PvP where 500 points can roughly be called a "tier."

((New player: Oh, Power Score. Power must be how Powerful. Score must mean higher is better)) What if they add vehicle class to the description somewhere, 1.5-3k, class C, 3-5k class B, 5k-8k class A, 8k+ Class S

On 6/26/2017 at 1:04 PM, DarkMo said:

But I miss some quite basic informations. Especially inside the game itselfe. Why dont they let us build the starter car our selfes.

Good idea, a tutorial like android games, slide this, push that, click here ect. each step having pop up windows better describing game mechanics.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:10 AM, ARES_IV said:

In case of the car jack, its biggest issue is probably the energy cost.

I agree. and if it were energy free they might as well remove the whole dynamic and make every car able to flip them selves back up. I posted something awhile back in suggestions, I thought would be really cool, if vehicles with a car jack could use it at any time. Allowing you to jump up on cliffs, over cars speeding towards you, or even to dodge rockets. And make this mechanic relevant to where the jack is placed, so if someone just had one in the front they could get just high enough that an oncoming car would go under but still scrape. If someone sacrificed two energy and had one front and back maybe then get high enough to clear 10 squares. It could make for some interesting proximity mine, melee builds as well.

I wish PS had an additional number tied to it to explain how many rare/epic/legendary parts are on the car. Some second score that explained that would be awesome.