Gwarsbane

Paint and Material change

Hmm so suggestion to separate paints into Layers?

its worth adding up to the Documents, we shall see how it will go.

• Upvote 6

Hmm, very interesting! I love this Idea +1. I feel like it could help prevent players from buying C if they already have A and B to mix to make C for example. Also, being able to have more variety to Legendary skins would be too cool! Also that way, clans and friends could identify each other easier, as there'd be more uniqueness and customization :)

I like.

Until i got the credits and actually spent them on paints, i thought it worked that way, due to the present distinctions already made: material, pattern, and paint.

pattern should be, well, a pattern. like checkerboard, or snake/alligator, or the "design" of the paint.

material should be, well, a material. like metallic, or matte, or whatever the bumpy stuff is.... stucco?

and paint should be the color (and in the case of patterns with different colors, more paints can be applied..... flame pattern? you can apply one paint as the background, and a second as the flames.... same with materials)

A good example i wouldn't mind seeing, if such would be the case, would be lightning pattern, with matte white background, and metallic (or glow, like willow wisp seems to do) silver/aluminum color lightning bolts.

i definitely +1 this suggestion.

• Upvote 2

I would love to have the ability to layer material over pattern, and then paint over material.  Sounds like an amazing idea.

As well, I feel as though all paint colors, aside from aluminum, chrome, and gold should be free and common (maybe unlock via leveling as you do with the rest).  Or, we should have a color wheel/slider a la NFS series so we can choose our exact hue and shade of color.  I personally prefer the second option as it lends itself to more creativity and diversity.

As far as materials are concerned, I believe they should have rarity designations as follows:

Materials:

Common- Gloss

Rare- Matte

Epic- Metallic

Legendary- Candy, Aluminum

Relic- Gold, Chrome

Then, patterns could have a random rarity kind of like the customization kits, so no real system, just however the devs see fit.

I think the paint side of things is the one major aesthetic gripe I have with this game.

Of course balance tweaks and fixing broken things should be priority 1, but I would love to see some more customization options in the near(est) future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Paints did used to drop very rarely from PvP matches (even rarer than decor), so they used to be "free." Now they're locked behind really expensive containers. It seems like their purpose is to drain coins from the economy even faster than other things, so I doubt Targem/Gaijin would make them free and common. But I agree with your original idea. The layering could entice people to buy and craft even more paints, since it lets players apply their creativity, just like we do to our build designs.

• Upvote 1

I have rare paints, but i use them only for PVE. For fun.

For PVP, i use the worst i have , AKA the early ones to look like a naab. (bromine), or NO paint at all.

Nice idea with layers. 

But paints add nothing. Would be nice as some =1% bonus maybe in different types of game compartments.. Or camo, like in WOT.

For instance sand paint would be more effective on desert etc etc... But not on town maps.

Carbon could add a small structure bonus and so ever...

Chrome more rep but less camo etc etc.

Edited by gromulator

To avoid becoming too complex and hard to render I think they should just stick with material and then paint all this weird mixing will just make it hard on the computers 

12 hours ago, Hazmat616 said:

To avoid becoming too complex and hard to render I think they should just stick with material and then paint all this weird mixing will just make it hard on the computers 

All this would really need to do is change the Normal Map and Specular Map for the material changes, then paint being applied would just change the texture as it does now.  It wouldn't make it any harder on computers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BrandonBranders said:

All this would really need to do is change the Normal Map and Specular Map for the material changes, then paint being applied would just change the texture as it does now.  It wouldn't make it any harder on computers.

This ^... it is really not difficult from an animation or programming side.  Honestly, could probably be built and implemented in a couple weeks at most.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fantse_Rishea said:

Low end computers going to to get blown up because of this.

Unless there's an option to see or not this kind of stuff.

Why would you think editing existing layers would increase the requirements? There is already bump mapping and reflective surfaces overlaying a pattern is not a significant change.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Fantse_Rishea said:

Low end computers going to to get blown up because of this.

Unless there's an option to see or not this kind of stuff.

I explained two posts above yours why this would not have a negative effect on performance in any way.  I just can't understand how people think either A) even a low end computer is THAT weak, or B) That a texture change requires an ungodly amount of computing power.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BrandonBranders said:

I explained two posts above yours why this would not have a negative effect on performance in any way.  I just can't understand how people think either A) even a low end computer is THAT weak, or B) That a texture change requires an ungodly amount of computing power.

jk-sylvania-smartbook.jpg

• Haha 2