Old_Squidward

Suggestion - Night Time Maps

Recommended Posts

I love this idea.  I just know someone is going to complain about visibility though.  

"Wahh  I can't see"  

That's the point though.  Having a restrictive atmosphere like a storm makes battles more intense because there's always a chance someone is gonna come out of the fog.  Plus it would encourage more fast close quarters builds, which are the most fun fights in my opinion.

Edited by BrandonBranders
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't even read what you said. Saw Night Time Maps in the title and upvoted instantly... lol.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes please.... I love being sneaky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this has been suggested quite a few times, even during cbt. devs either don't like the idea, there is some technical problem or they just like other map designs more... since we still don't have any night maps

 

On 4.8.2017 at 6:02 PM, BrandonBranders said:

I just know someone is going to complain about visibility though.  

"Wahh  I can't see"

not like people aren't complaining 24/7 about something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in CBT there was a list of everything that had been suggested. If you had an idea you got a no or maybe within a week. Now things are really disorganized. You have no idea what has been suggested. Your post can sit around for months pre-moderation.  Might as well just send people with ideas to a PNG of someone extending their middle finger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess night time wouldn't even need to be overwhelmingly dark either.  I know it took place in a brightly lit city, but this is what APB used to look like at night back in 2011-2012 (before they wrecked the shaders and made the game look gross)

It's not super dark, but it's dark enough that the player knows "Hey, it's night!"  and it doesn't interfere with anything.  Add a storm to this every once in a while and then it'll get interesting.

Game+Tips+And+More+Screenshot+-+APB+2011

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrandonBranders said:

I guess night time wouldn't even need to be overwhelmingly dark either.  I know it took place in a brightly lit city, but this is what APB used to look like at night back in 2011-2012 (before they wrecked the shaders and made the game look gross)

It's not super dark, but it's dark enough that the player knows "Hey, it's night!"  and it doesn't interfere with anything.  Add a storm to this every once in a while and then it'll get interesting.

It should be dark enough where stealth is more viable than on the current maps.

Sure having a map Too dark would have a bunch of people complaining of being too dark and can't see anyone, but having it too bright would just make having a night map pointless. Maybe a storm would be good to settle the map's darkness level but it'll have to be something like a snowstorm or possibly fog(?)

Edited by Ashdebruin_99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Night time to be sneaky? How is that going to work out when we got both radars, minimaps and markers above enemies?

Besides, when dark maps are introduced people are just gonna turn up their contrast on their monitor like any other game with night time. You would also make it hard for people with bad monitors or bad eyes, pretty much excluding players.

So i understand the devs why they don't want to add night games into the game, a lot of my friends doesn't like it either simply because it's hindering your performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a 3 minute game. With about 2 minutes of actual combat. The games you mentioned are primarily single player and generally have a different feel to them. This is not a realism-based game. It is not a fright game. We have chainsaws on cars and flaming barrel launchers. This isn't Doom. This is a builder game.

Cars regularly get stuck and run into things during full, absolute daylight. There are weapons that become almost 100% useless in the dark. Melee builds. Sniper builds. Guided missile builds--depending on if radar would highlight in the dark or just the minimap; if they did, then guided missiles would obliterate everyone because you could just zip around in the dark and auto hit. Oh yeah, turrets and drones and sidekicks and caucasus would be lolly powerful.

The maps would have to be tremendously small, with flattish terrain, or we'd never kill each other. And if you had the "wrong" weapons, you would be totally screwed.

The only thing I could ever see is raids. Specifically Convoy and the upcoming one where you have to destroy the trucks. Because you have a road to follow and an objective and everyone is around it. Maybe a halloween event.

And, as stated, if there are night maps, I just crank up the alpha until it's not night. If it's server-side darkness, which is very uncommon, you would have to know you're going into it. Otherwise, half the cars are fairly useless. Someone starts circling you with shotguns and your headlights are facing forward...I mean, the game just isn't cut out for it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 5:02 AM, NaggNogger said:

Night time to be sneaky? How is that going to work out when we got both radars, minimaps and markers above enemies?

Besides, when dark maps are introduced people are just gonna turn up their contrast on their monitor like any other game with night time. You would also make it hard for people with bad monitors or bad eyes, pretty much excluding players.

So i understand the devs why they don't want to add night games into the game, a lot of my friends doesn't like it either simply because it's hindering your performance.

The whole point of radars is to see enemies that are in the specified range, some players have them and some don't so it really depends, that's how the game works.

It also depends on how dark the nightfall is, let's say if the moon was close to, or directly above you in the sky, then you'd classify that as midnight, if it were to be earlier, then there would still be some luminescence from the sun, but not a lot since it's meant to be night time, it would not be completely pitch black, it would still be possible to see, and yes, it does exclude a couple of players, but not everyone has as much money or even the bare minimum of required electronics, that's still fine since it's based on the majority of players and not just everyone as an individual.

Edited by Old_Squidward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dukerustfield said:

This is a 3 minute game. With about 2 minutes of actual combat. The games you mentioned are primarily single player and generally have a different feel to them. This is not a realism-based game. It is not a fright game. We have chainsaws on cars and flaming barrel launchers. This isn't Doom. This is a builder game.

Cars regularly get stuck and run into things during full, absolute daylight. There are weapons that become almost 100% useless in the dark. Melee builds. Sniper builds. Guided missile builds--depending on if radar would highlight in the dark or just the minimap; if they did, then guided missiles would obliterate everyone because you could just zip around in the dark and auto hit. Oh yeah, turrets and drones and sidekicks and caucasus would be lolly powerful.

The maps would have to be tremendously small, with flattish terrain, or we'd never kill each other. And if you had the "wrong" weapons, you would be totally screwed.

The only thing I could ever see is raids. Specifically Convoy and the upcoming one where you have to destroy the trucks. Because you have a road to follow and an objective and everyone is around it. Maybe a halloween event.

And, as stated, if there are night maps, I just crank up the alpha until it's not night. If it's server-side darkness, which is very uncommon, you would have to know you're going into it. Otherwise, half the cars are fairly useless. Someone starts circling you with shotguns and your headlights are facing forward...I mean, the game just isn't cut out for it.

Like I said, this is based on the majority of players, people run into things and people because the driving isn't the greatest and it also varies on the player, unlike some of us who have better equipment have better frames and the game runs nearly or close to perfectly, like I said, the game varies on the individual and the computer of that individual, not everyone has the same equipment.

None of the weapons would be useless anyways, shotguns+chameleon builds would be your source of flanks, your machine gun/cannon/missile builds are still your source of medium range - long range attacks, and melee builds are your close range or even stealth flank source [also varies on build] and as stated before, I mentioned there being some luminescence from the sun since it doesn't have to be too dark, so none of the weapons would be useless.

Since not everyone might want the game to obtain night time maps, then that's fine, this could only be a brawl or convoy thing, it doesn't have to be for every map and on every mode, I personally think it would be great for convoy challenges.

As previously-previously stated, the game varies on the user and their computer, not everyone has more than the bare minimum and not everyone has 30+ frames, again it's still a bit unfair for some people, but again - it's counted across the majority of the players so the game could still function properly.

Edited by Old_Squidward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2017 at 11:02 AM, BrandonBranders said:

I love this idea.  I just know someone is going to complain about visibility though.  

"Wahh  I can't see"  

That's the point though.  Having a restrictive atmosphere like a storm makes battles more intense because there's always a chance someone is gonna come out of the fog.  Plus it would encourage more fast close quarters builds, which are the most fun fights in my opinion.

Also proves my point of it being more of a challenge.

Edited by Old_Squidward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 12:02 PM, NaggNogger said:

Night time to be sneaky? How is that going to work out when we got both radars, minimaps and markers above enemies?

Besides, when dark maps are introduced people are just gonna turn up their contrast on their monitor like any other game with night time. You would also make it hard for people with bad monitors or bad eyes, pretty much excluding players.

So i understand the devs why they don't want to add night games into the game, a lot of my friends doesn't like it either simply because it's hindering your performance.

Well, solution: let people chose to queue for night maps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.