Hazmat616

Rust

Thank you for pointing this out, that is an interesting notice. Approved and submitted to the devs.

• Upvote 1

Wow, good eye Hazmat.  Never would have noticed that.  It would be really nice to have some cleaner looking Avia panels like they used to be.  I'd still like them to have the density they have now though, before there was some light looking support on the back side, now they're a solid block and I like them solid like this.

• Upvote 2

The only thing that would change is they would remove rust or replace it with aluminum oxide on parts that are aluminum  and other non-rusting metals  like titanium and stainless steel.

• Upvote 2

However, metals can corrode (extremes of pH) and given one of the maps has a huge toxic waste area, then pitting of surfaces is entirely possible.

What might be constructive is to depict aluminium components with heavy scratches, dings, and gouges due to its soft composition. Tree and bush branches will leave a very nice scratch-work pattern on aluminum with powdery oxidization, and caked dirt  in the recesses.

Image result for worn aluminum

Image result for worn aluminum

Just to point out, Yes aluminum does not rust like we think other metals like steel does, But as some one that worked with sheet metal for a number of years, I have to say, aluminum has some issues of it's own.

the biggest one being it does not have the same strength that other metals like steel or titanium has. 

many modern airplanes use mostly steel and rely on their very powerful engines to give them enough life to gain flight. 

now some more Hobby aircraft have some Aluminum in them, mostly tubing to make up the frames of the wings with plastic over top of the tubing. as plastic is very light weight, some time instead of plastic, fiberglass is used, which is stronger and while a little bit more heavy, is still lighter then steel. 

but the biggest thing to take into account, is that  aluminum is super conductive to electricity and if you are flying threw a storm, and lighting is striking, it might short out  your equipment.

but I'm not an airplane designer, so this last part I could very much have got wrong.    

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, KwGeek said:

Just to point out, Yes aluminum does not rust like we think other metals like steel does, But as some one that worked with sheet metal for a number of years, I have to say, aluminum has some issues of it's own.

the biggest one being it does not have the same strength that other metals like steel or titanium has. 

many modern airplanes use mostly steel and rely on their very powerful engines to give them enough life to gain flight. 

now some more Hobby aircraft have some Aluminum in them, mostly tubing to make up the frames of the wings with plastic over top of the tubing. as plastic is very light weight, some time instead of plastic, fiberglass is used, which is stronger and while a little bit more heavy, is still lighter then steel. 

but the biggest thing to take into account, is that  aluminum is super conductive to electricity and if you are flying threw a storm, and lighting is striking, it might short out  your equipment.

but I'm not an airplane designer, so this last part I could very much have got wrong.    

No.  Just.   No.

Most modern airplanes are built from aluminum. Some use titanium components, or rarely the whole plane (SR-71). Some have carbon composites (Boeing 787). Fabrics, wood, FRP, and composites are used sometimes in small airplanes.

The reason why aluminum is used primarily, aside from the corrosion resistance, is that it has a strength to weight ratio far, far greater than steel.

Yes, aluminum is more conductive than steel or titanium, but when it comes to a bolt of lightning the comparison does not matter. A non-metal airplane can get hit by lightning just at easily if the potential charge builds up, and can be even more damaging if the plane was not specifically designed to handle lightning strikes.

• Upvote 2

Speaking of "realism" why is rust so damn expensive a paint? It should be a white not a purple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ROACHOR said:

Speaking of "realism" why is rust so damn expensive a paint? It should be a white not a purple.

lol I thought the same thing. That should be something you unlock.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:35 AM, Hazmat616 said:

lol I thought the same thing. That should be something you unlock.

It was an unlock from the Engineers in CBT actually.  A fairly low level one too I think.  Can't remember what level it was though.  No idea why they made it so hard to get, it's just rust.  Like, you could leave your unpainted car out in the weather for a while and get the same result.

Edit:  I sucked it up, sold a butt-load of stuff last night and bought Rust.  Probably going to regret that when Dawn Children comes out because I halved my resources, but whatever lol.

Edited by BrandonBranders
  • Upvote 1

we build new cars no old cars :) , so there shouldn't be rust at all =)) , our cars are second hand builded

On 8/9/2017 at 1:39 PM, MAN_DOWN said:

we build new cars no old cars :) , so there shouldn't be rust at all =)) , our cars are second hand builded

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, NO.

Our cars are NOT really cars.

They're the results of a scavenged cabin from a vehicle and other scrapped parts that can ressemble the shape of one.

If anything, EVERYTHING should have LOTS of rust, because, if you paid attention to the story behind the game, there has been a NUCLEAR EXPLOSION that made the game as we play today.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Indiferencce said:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, NO.

Our cars are NOT really cars.

They're the results of a scavenged cabin from a vehicle and other scrapped parts that can ressemble the shape of one.

If anything, EVERYTHING should have LOTS of rust, because, if you paid attention to the story behind the game, there has been a NUCLEAR EXPLOSION that made the game as we play today.

There is zero nuclear explosions in the game story,  just aliens and gene mutating viruses.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ROACHOR said:

There is zero nuclear explosions in the game story,  just aliens and gene mutating viruses.

Spoiler

And that, ladies & gents, was me talkin' out of my ****, exposed and proven guilty.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ROACHOR said:

I say Aye to this.

:D

Edited by Trigger_HappY

Some people just dont enjoy having rusty equipment. And after freshly painting something with modest amounts of rust, the rust would be hardly visible.

They also simple look better.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:11 AM, BrandonBranders said:

It was an unlock from the Engineers in CBT actually.  A fairly low level one too I think.  Can't remember what level it was though.  No idea why they made it so hard to get, it's just rust.  Like, you could leave your unpainted car out in the weather for a while and get the same result.

Edit:  I sucked it up, sold a butt-load of stuff last night and bought Rust.  Probably going to regret that when Dawn Children comes out because I halved my resources, but whatever lol.

Now you know why they did it.

• Upvote 1

Bah I'd pay a stupid amount for rust but it's not even on the market.

:crying: