Sign in to follow this  
FiveOClock

Matryoshka Style Maps

This is based on the Matryoshka which is a doll with another doll inside it. 

The map consists of two parts. The first is an outer flat racing road. That is the long way around the map but you can drive faster. The second part is the inner part of the map. It consists of terrain that is terrible for driving. 

CYPRESS.thumb.jpg.dd6aa2e6d9a9e59d21c224

I am using Swimming Pool shapes to get the outer flat race course. This gives us a variety of fun race courses in different shapes for the outer map area. 

GRECIAN.thumb.jpg.d84f5d79e9bf6e7a246d6dLSHAPE.thumb.jpg.ba61819adeb6cd3a6683b52MADRID.thumb.jpg.621ef1cd8a0599c07e20ef2

For the inner area of the map we need to slow down the driver. So we need bad driving terrain. Swamp, Battlefield or some other terrible terrain. 

GRECIANSWAMP.thumb.jpg.c35e3323ad9a28a6f

So in the center of my map I put a cross shaped building to block line of sight. To slow down cars I put in a blue green swamp shaped like the roads in Calgary. The six grey areas could be forest, battlefield, dirt , asphalt or some other terrain. It depends on how much we want to punish someone for driving in the middle. You could also put hills there to snipe at people on the outer road.  

I didn't know if anyone was interested in this. But I thought some people might enjoy seeing how to do this type of design. 

ShotgunAlley.jpg.0c14f14e079fce87aaede5b

Now for filling that Pesky Map Center. Note that my buildings in my Slum are 100m by 100M. That is not by accident. My building are the maximum fire

range for a shotgun. By stacking the buildings I create two sets of road passages. The east - west roads are 100M which lets the player using shotguns or melee to fight close.  The North South Roads 

sections are much longer. This lets players with Snipe builds fight North-South.  The Shotgun player is going to engage the Sniper Player on East-West but the Sniper player wants North-South. This sets up the Hunter vs Hunter PvP which I like. The person who thinks out the map has the advantage.  If I made the buildings smaller I get more short range opportunities. If I make the building larger there is more sniping opportunities. The Range Numbers on the Spreadsheet for weapons dictate my building size. This allows me to experiment with things like a WASP/ Shotgun friendly map area.

The drive through the map center is slower with more turns and risk of ambush. The outer layer is a speedway with longer range vision. My buildings could be hills, wrecks or any other map feature that forces traffic to turn. 

I believe Desert Valley and Ship Graveyard both use designs similar to what you're proposing, with a relatively-unobstructed outer rim, and everything inside that rim being filled with rough terrain (such as sand in Desert Valley, and water and ships in Ship Graveyard).

Sign in to follow this