Zoidzerg

Very Basic Build Guide for New Players

The Basic Build Guide
This is a simple guide to building basics for those new to Crossout. If you have played for more than a month, you possibly have much of this figured out already. 

Frames: 
The frame parts have their own structure. Essentially they act the same as armor. Unless your working on an exotic or themed  build of some sort, my advice is less is better. Use as little frame as possible and compensate that with actual armor or structural parts that add to your overall structure. 

Armor:
What doesn't make you stronger, has it's own strength. Armor does nothing for your overall structure because it adds it's own structure wherever you place it. Armor is usually heavy and therefor should not be attached to lighter parts that are easily shot off. True armored pieces will do contact damage. These are the plows, bumpers, even the lighter melee spiked and bladed parts as well.

Grills:
The Engineer grille parts can take a licking and keep on sticking. That's because a % of damage passes through without hiting the part. The engineer parts are lighter and usually high in power score as well. 
Lunatic grille parts do not let damage through. They are the same as any other part that adds to your overall structure, they are just lighter structural parts. 

Decor:
Adds a listed % of reputation increase for your factions. Like armor, it adds nothing to your rides structure, but carries it's own structure. It's main function is to increase your reputation gain, but can be considered as very weak armor as well. 

Parts:
Parts are parts, use your imagination. Experiment with different configurations for your frames and wheels. Find what you like and build up from there.  The main thing to remember when building is not to build your ride so that one or two pieces can be shot off resulting in half your ride falling apart.  These are what I call 'anchor parts' and should be buried so that most or all the parts attached need to be shot off in order to damage it. This is just a general rule of thumb, there are always exceptions. I am guilty of vanity over practicality in almost every build I make. I'm not that good anymore and I would rather look sharp as I race towards destruction. That doesn't mean I have to always sacrifice structure for style, a savvy builder can still build smart and look good regardless of his driving or marksman abilities. It's all up to you and your personal preferences. Build smart and skills/vanity or not, your ride will last longer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

hi. a nice and good article. esp for new players . good tips and advice. I have one question: you say less is better, with frames. But with a small frame i can not have 6 wheeles....and with 4 i get immobile very quick. So how is less better? 

Edited by BlueIwan
autocorrect was wrong

On 4/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, BlueIwan said:

hi. a nice and good article. esp for new players . good tips and advice. I have one question: you say less is better, with frames. But with a small frame i can not have 6 wheeles....and with 4 i get immobile very quick. So how is less better? 

The goal is to use the minimum amount of frames required for a given job. In the past, frames gave a lot of health but they dont do anymore (it was abused) and as such they are mostly dead weight you cant spend on more useful things.

So when you need more frames to have more wheels, go ahead.

It should be noted that blue wheels where severly nerfed when devs took away their uniqueness (blue wheels used to have different traction values on different terrain) and as such you should seriously consider skipping blue wheels altogether as epic/purple Bigfoots are just plain better in traction and hard stats.

If you want to use Blue Wheels, go for Large, Racing or Shivs.

It should be noted that all wheels have the same steering angle, even if visuals say differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/10/2019 at 8:17 PM, BlueIwan said:

Almost all my cars have 4 steering wheels and 2 normal wheels. How you use those numbers are up to you, but its better than get limp right away after a cannon shot or not be able to turn.

My most successful built have a 4x4 frame on front of a 8x4 frame, both touching the cabin. A pair of ST wheels is mounted on the very first attachment point of the 4x4, another ST set touches both 4x4 and 8x4 and the normal pair is on the last attachment of the 8x4. As you can see its 6 wheels with only two frames on a fairly small car.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

Almost all my cars have 4 steering wheels and 2 normal wheels. How you use those numbers are up to you, but its better than get limp right away after a cannon shot or not be able to turn.

My most successful built have a 4x2 frame on front of a 8x2 frame, both touching the cabin. A pair of ST wheels is mounted on the very first attachment point of the 4x2, another ST set touches both 4x2 and 8x2 and the normal pair is on the last attachment of the 8x2. As you can see its 6 wheels with only two frames on a small car.

WUT?
8x2 frames don't exist

Plus "getting limp"? wtf are you talking about :laugh:

Edited by x5TR34M1ND3M0Nx
lol

12 hours ago, x5TR34M1ND3M0Nx said:

WUT?
8x2 frames don't exist

Plus "getting limp"? wtf are you talking about :laugh:

Oops, must have forgot my medication, edited for the correct measurements.

Also, "limp" as when you have only 4 wheels and one is blown off and you not only scrape the ground and can't keep acceleration but keeps jumping around.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2019 at 3:37 AM, ARES_IV said:

The goal is to use the minimum amount of frames required for a given job. In the past, frames gave a lot of health but they dont do anymore (it was abused) and as such they are mostly dead weight you cant spend on more useful things.

So when you need more frames to have more wheels, go ahead.

It should be noted that blue wheels where severly nerfed when devs took away their uniqueness (blue wheels used to have different traction values on different terrain) and as such you should seriously consider skipping blue wheels altogether as epic/purple Bigfoots are just plain better in traction and hard stats.

If you want to use Blue Wheels, go for Large, Racing or Shivs.

It should be noted that all wheels have the same steering angle, even if visuals say differently.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. BTW one of the reasons i asked this question is to find if this forum is still an active forum. And i'm glad it is.

• Thanks 1

My current build is 6 wide, not 4, and a whole lot more stable than a 4 wide.

I also did a little experiment putting the fuel tank inside the frame (turning pieces 2 wide on either side) but then realized it left it a sitting duck if tipped.

From absolute basics, start putting better bits on as you get them (the small wheels are better than the starter wheels), then comes the time when you need to start a design - and 2 pair of steering wheels plus one pair of plain is a good basic setup for keeping some movement after taking damage, You really need to spend the 1 energy on the jack, otherwise you have to rely on a team mate rescuing you if turned over - you may get away without one, more so if you use a 6 wide or even 8 wide build.

You could, of course, do without the fuel tank, but that free fuel can be great if you use it for extra raids, or sell it for coin - if you don't want to spend real money, then coins are extremely precious.

For the blue wheels, since they removed any real uniqueness, you're looking at:

1.   Percent power loss, lower is better
  2.  Durability, higher is better
  3.  Tonnage - mass... This adds to the available tonnage (full performance load capacity)

Unless you buy (F2P/P2W), then you really don't have the luxury of skipping blue level parts