Sign in to follow this  
dukerustfield

How to Make Money On the Market

This is a simple guide with some simple definitions that apply to nearly any human interaction that involves commerce. Use at your own risk. Using this method is not against the rules, and in fact, adds to market liquidity. For the record, I've been involved in video game markets since the original Ultima Online. I learned a lot about vendoring, markets, economy, from playing that stupid game.

First, you need some money. The more you have, the more you can do. That is the great irony of money. Nearly every transaction in this world is % based. The more you have, the more you make. 

There are several facts of the Crossout market that have to be taken into consideration:

1) you lose 10% of your sale price to the Market. If you buy something for 100 coins and list it for sale the next day for 100 and it sells. You lost 10 coins to the Market.
2) There is a bid/ask listing for each item. Unless there are no people currently trying to buy/sell. That is the market for an item. Bid/Ask is a common concept in any market.
3) Bid/Ask spread changes constantly. This isn't like a grocery store where the price of bread is stable for days/weeks/months at a time. It's like the stock market, where prices can change constantly.
4) You can only lose money if you sell at a loss. This is the same with any commodity your purchase. If you buy a house for $100,000 and the market drops because of an earthquake or flood, your house might be worth $50,000 in that neighborhood. But you don't lose half your money unless you sell right now at that price. If you can wait, it might go back to 100K or even higher. The only reason to sell is if you think the market will never come back for that item or you need/want the money for more immediate purchases or opportunities. While you're waiting for the market to return, you aren't making any profit with your cash.
5) Everything is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. This is another great truth of human commerce. Learn it ASAP.

In keeping this "simple," I advice a few things:

1. Look for items for sell that have some interest. This means liquidity. It means less time waiting for prices to shift and buyers/sellers.
2. Look for a big gap in bid/ask. More than 10% is ideal. 
3. Buy low.
4. Wait for prices to shift.
5. Sell high.
alternately:  Know what patches are coming and buy undervalued items and hold them until patches make them more valuable. Sell items before a patch wipes out their value.

Examples:

This Pyre for sale right now. Pyre is a relatively common weapon. Has interest. But the highest list Buy/Bid is 300. The lowest Sell/Ask is 343.45. That means you can put in a Bid right now at 300.01 and be the highest bid. And someone will come along and want to sell Fast. Or get tired of waiting. And sell to you. Then you can immediately turn around and sell for 343.44. After the 10% tax, you would have made a bit over 9 coins. You might not think that's much (and it isn't). But you didn't actually have to DO anything. You could do that right now. It could be done almost instantly. But the point is, you can have a bunch of those types of buy/sells out there. Do this multiple times each day. Not only that, but you can be slightly more greedy. Click on the market and look to see how many bids/asks there are. Maybe there are gaps. Like, the highest bid is currently 300. What if the next bid after that is 270? You can view that list. At least the first page of it. If the next bid is 270, you could put in an ask for 271 instead of 300.01. One person will sell at 300 and then your bid is next highest. Instead of 9 coins, you'd make about 39. Most times, the bids/asks will be lined up right next to each other. But sometimes, people put in high or low bids to try and not mess around. So they don't get outbid by .01. I got tired of going back and forth with a guy I was trying to sell a paint with. With both had it. And I'd go in and drop my price .01. Then he would. Then I would. Then he would. Then I dropped 20. Then 30. Then 50. And he would go down .01 each time. I then dropped it so far he didn't follow. I just wanted to sell. I made less money than him, but I got paid first.

gt4gkVK.jpg

A bid/ask spread that shows very high liquidity is Reapers. Reapers are super popular. There's 236 people with money on the market trying to buy. The prices are very competitive. But if you highest bid 2511.03 and sell at the lowest ask 2639.85, you'll lose money. Because 10% is 263.9 coins. So you would have to buy, put it out there at a 10% markup, and WAIT. It's okay to wait. The market moves. You won't always get a spread like the Pyre above, where you can almost instantly make money. Often, you have to wait for the markets to shift. Night time players come in and they have a different economy. Or day time. Or the weekend. Or whatever. Don't expect to make money right away. When you get nervous and sell cheap, that's when you lose money.

8FVk10V.jpg

The less popular Legendaries are an okay way to make some cash. I just sold a Spark today. I bought it at just over 2000 and sold it for over 2400. It took me 3 days to sell. I made about 150 coins. I did the same with a Harvester. Fortune, is a Firestarter faction weapon. And the devs have hinted some Firestarter items might be getting adjusted upward. Are they cheap now? Even if not, there is room to make a small profit without them being adjusted.

0ZTtQcV.jpg

Here are some items I'm scared to touch. Spike is an event-only item. But when the event comes back, that price will drop. How much? Don't know. But you also see (much) more people trying to sell than buy. Tacklers are the same way. Way more sellers. That means they think the current price is very good, or it might go lower, or they aren't worth it. When you have more sellers than buyers, it pushes prices down. That's the way markets work. Because some people will do like I did with the paint. They want the money now. So they jump ahead of the line. And others jump to match. And so on. Likewise, when there are more buyers than sellers, it forces prices higher. That's true in pretty much any market situation on earth.

T8yJ3it.jpg

That's a simple description of bid/ask spread and buy low and sell not-as-low philosophy. Remember, you don't have to put in your bids at top. If a Spectre is selling for 354.68, you can put yours up for sale for 370. Or 37000000. But 370 might take longer to sell and 37000000 will never sell. Since epic bench rental costs are currently discounted (as of this this weekend writing), NOW is a good time to buy epics. Then you hold them until rental costs go back up and people sell all their discounted epics, and you put yours back on the market for higher. But you have to wait longer doing that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, dukerustfield said:

This is a simple guide with some simple definitions that apply to nearly any human interaction that involves commerce. Use at your own risk. Using this method is not against the rules, and in fact, adds to market liquidity. For the record, I've been involved in video game markets since the original Ultima Online. I learned a lot about vendoring, markets, economy, from playing that stupid game.

First, you need some money. The more you have, the more you can do. That is the great irony of money. Nearly every transaction in this world is % based. The more you have, the more you make. 

There are several facts of the Crossout market that have to be taken into consideration:

1) you lose 10% of your sale price to the Market. If you buy something for 100 coins and list it for sale the next day for 100 and it sells. You lost 10 coins to the Market.
2) There is a bid/ask listing for each item. Unless there are no people currently trying to buy/sell. That is the market for an item. Bid/Ask is a common concept in any market.
3) Bid/Ask spread changes constantly. This isn't like a grocery store where the price of bread is stable for days/weeks/months at a time. It's like the stock market, where prices can change constantly.
4) You can only lose money if you sell at a loss. This is the same with any commodity your purchase. If you buy a house for $100,000 and the market drops because of an earthquake or flood, your house might be worth $50,000 in that neighborhood. But you don't lose half your money unless you sell right now at that price. If you can wait, it might go back to 100K or even higher. The only reason to sell is if you think the market will never come back for that item or you need/want the money for more immediate purchases or opportunities. While you're waiting for the market to return, you aren't making any profit with your cash.
5) Everything is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. This is another great truth of human commerce. Learn it ASAP.

In keeping this "simple," I advice a few things:

1. Look for items for sell that have some interest. This means liquidity. It means less time waiting for prices to shift and buyers/sellers.
2. Look for a big gap in bid/ask. More than 10% is ideal. 
3. Buy low.
4. Wait for prices to shift.
5. Sell high.
alternately:  Know what patches are coming and buy undervalued items and hold them until patches make them more valuable. Sell items before a patch wipes out their value.

Examples:

This Pyre for sale right now. Pyre is a relatively common weapon. Has interest. But the highest list Buy/Bid is 300. The lowest Sell/Ask is 343.45. That means you can put in a Bid right now at 300.01 and be the highest bid. And someone will come along and want to sell Fast. Or get tired of waiting. And sell to you. Then you can immediately turn around and sell for 343.44. After the 10% tax, you would have made a bit over 9 coins. You might not think that's much (and it isn't). But you didn't actually have to DO anything. You could do that right now. It could be done almost instantly. But the point is, you can have a bunch of those types of buy/sells out there. Do this multiple times each day. Not only that, but you can be slightly more greedy. Click on the market and look to see how many bids/asks there are. Maybe there are gaps. Like, the highest bid is currently 300. What if the next bid after that is 270? You can view that list. At least the first page of it. If the next bid is 270, you could put in an ask for 271 instead of 300.01. One person will sell at 300 and then your bid is next highest. Instead of 9 coins, you'd make about 39. Most times, the bids/asks will be lined up right next to each other. But sometimes, people put in high or low bids to try and not mess around. So they don't get outbid by .01. I got tired of going back and forth with a guy I was trying to sell a paint with. With both had it. And I'd go in and drop my price .01. Then he would. Then I would. Then he would. Then I dropped 20. Then 30. Then 50. And he would go down .01 each time. I then dropped it so far he didn't follow. I just wanted to sell. I made less money than him, but I got paid first.

gt4gkVK.jpg

A bid/ask spread that shows very high liquidity is Reapers. Reapers are super popular. There's 236 people with money on the market trying to buy. The prices are very competitive. But if you highest bid 2511.03 and sell at the lowest ask 2639.85, you'll lose money. Because 10% is 263.9 coins. So you would have to buy, put it out there at a 10% markup, and WAIT. It's okay to wait. The market moves. You won't always get a spread like the Pyre above, where you can almost instantly make money. Often, you have to wait for the markets to shift. Night time players come in and they have a different economy. Or day time. Or the weekend. Or whatever. Don't expect to make money right away. When you get nervous and sell cheap, that's when you lose money.

8FVk10V.jpg

The less popular Legendaries are an okay way to make some cash. I just sold a Spark today. I bought it at just over 2000 and sold it for over 2400. It took me 3 days to sell. I made about 150 coins. I did the same with a Harvester. Fortune, is a Firestarter faction weapon. And the devs have hinted some Firestarter items might be getting adjusted upward. Are they cheap now? Even if not, there is room to make a small profit without them being adjusted.

0ZTtQcV.jpg

Here are some items I'm scared to touch. Spike is an event-only item. But when the event comes back, that price will drop. How much? Don't know. But you also see (much) more people trying to sell than buy. Tacklers are the same way. Way more sellers. That means they think the current price is very good, or it might go lower, or they aren't worth it. When you have more sellers than buyers, it pushes prices down. That's the way markets work. Because some people will do like I did with the paint. They want the money now. So they jump ahead of the line. And others jump to match. And so on. Likewise, when there are more buyers than sellers, it forces prices higher. That's true in pretty much any market situation on earth.

T8yJ3it.jpg

That's a simple description of bid/ask spread and buy low and sell not-as-low philosophy. Remember, you don't have to put in your bids at top. If a Spectre is selling for 354.68, you can put yours up for sale for 370. Or 37000000. But 370 might take longer to sell and 37000000 will never sell. Since epic bench rental costs are currently discounted (as of this this weekend writing), NOW is a good time to buy epics. Then you hold them until rental costs go back up and people sell all their discounted epics, and you put yours back on the market for higher. But you have to wait longer doing that.

Is a good guide! Thanks for your work But...
LOL, The prices on the PC are a joke in comparison with the PS4. But look for yourself.

Crossout_20180312093044.jpg

Crossout_20180312093113.jpg

God damnit Duke you revealed our secrets! :006j:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here is an example of me putting my money where my mouth is. I went into the market today. I searched for epics because there was a weekend discount on epic benches. That means even if they did a 5 part rental, they got a 30% discount. Which is 30 coins. Which translates into 6 coins per item. So I expect to see prices for epics down at LEAST 6 coins per item (if they rented 15 parts, it would be even more). I sort the list of by BUYERS, Descending. That means, I want to see who is paying the least for what items. I go to the 2nd page. The first page is unpopular items like missile drones, missile turrets, barrier X, skinner. I want to avoid those. This is the 2nd page:

pfGkXH8.jpg

Executioner and Fat Man both have aa lot of sellers and the prices are very low. VERY low. I also have backup for these. I am high enough level that I can take any executioners I buy and use them to craft Mandrakes. I can turn any fat mans into Mammoths. This is extra security. If I buy something and the market for that item stays low, I can craft it into something else if the market for that other item is better. That's insurance. What I did one time, when the market for Fat Men was down, was I put them on my Leviathan. I had 4 Fat Men on my leviathan. Some weapons work great on Leviathans, some work terrible. All turret weapons work great. Autocannons, cannons, grenade launchers. I ran with those fat men on my leviathan for quite a while and made good copper. Then I finally sold them for a decent profit. Now my Leviathan isn't as good...

But I just put in some orders for Executioners. The price is extremely low IMHO. Also for Fat Man. Spectre. Whirlwind. Other items are also low, but I don't know their markets as well. I think Phoenix and Quasars are good weapons, but they aren't super popular.

But what you can see here is a lot of people selling. More people than usual crafted because of the discount for bench rentals. The discount lowers prices and more people selling lowers prices. The same thing happened for Modules. I mean, Golden Eagle engine is 100! I've never seen it that low I don't think. The sell price is 125. You could buy right now for 100. Sell for 125. Pocket an instant 15 coins. (Remember 10% tax on selling.) Golden Eagle isn't a popular engine, but I use it sometimes. And the price is incredible. You almost can't lose money.

I see a lot of people selling ML200 legs. And they are very cheap. ML legs are basically junk without Spider cabin and Spider cabin can't be crafted. The legs aren't super good with the cabin. However, devs have talked about further balancing legs. If they give it a buff, those legs could go up 25% or more in price. If they doubled they would be about the same cost as other epic movement. So it's a speculative buy right now. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/speculation.asp

It looks like wheels didn't see the same price discount as weapons/modules. Maybe armored tracks are slightly cheap. But that's about it.

Edited by dukerustfield
  • Upvote 1

Well exe is cheap cause compared to other cannons, it’s lack of blast radius + new explosion mechanics(nerfed it’s direct dmg to cab)+ suprsingly low dmg+ Lowest base ammo at 8 + 10% dmg past nerf made it a lot less viable and far less seen, so I’m currently stocking up on these since I can see they may get a buff sometime in the future.

1 hour ago, howardxu23 said:

Well exe is cheap cause compared to other cannons, it’s lack of blast radius + new explosion mechanics(nerfed it’s direct dmg to cab)+ suprsingly low dmg+ Lowest base ammo at 8 + 10% dmg past nerf made it a lot less viable and far less seen, so I’m currently stocking up on these since I can see they may get a buff sometime in the future.

You didn't seem to read the thread. First off, this isn't a balance thread. Second, your "balance" even contradicts itself. The price of Executioner is low because much more people are selling than buying.

Period.

That's how markets work. The same is also happening to Fat Man. Which contradicts everything in your post. It has a radius. It has more ammo. Etc.

People don't know what other people are crafting when they go to craft. They only find out when they all put it on the market. You can look at market trackers like https://crossoutdb.com/item/45 The market for Executioner dropped about 12% in less than one day. It was at a high, people started crafting, they saw a bunch of other people crafted as well, and it drove down the price. That happens. This is normal market movement and has nothing to do with people suddenly realizing the balance of an object over a 24 hour period when the previous 24/48/240 hours they were all deluded and no patches affected it.

It has nothing to do with what is in your post. Fat Man has already recovered somewhat from its depressed values, but the opportunity was there when I posted on it.

well trying to put out a senorio, exe, purple drones, ml 2000 are currently less effective/underpowered, so they are currently cheap. when they do get a buff, prices will increase again, so i can sell them for a profit. turnS out i went off topic on my earlier post lol :p 

Yes. I think ML200 are an okay gamble. Purple drones I don't think are. Because there is no indication they are scheduled for a buff. They may never be buffed. You may end up holding them a long, long time. 

My one great sell was knowing that hovers would be nerfed. I had 6 or 8 hovers and I sold them all a few weeks before they went down to 4. That was by far the biggest price change I'd taken advantage of. Because all those people with 12 or 16 had to sell a boatload, which, of course, lowers the price. I sold my Tacklers right at the start of buying the Icebox pack. I sold a few Firestarter things at the start as well. People are anxious to get the new things and pay higher prices.

If I had them, I would sell Scorpions and Spikes now. Scorpions are insanely expensive and they will only get cheaper. Even if there isn't a nerf, they will still get cheaper as more people play, as clans move along, etc. Spikes will get cheaper because of the event returning.

I got rich buying and selling fuzes, they fluctuate between 400-750 from day to day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ALGYC said:

Why can't I sell more than 3 avia booster ?

If you  have more, then it's because you are  at 20 sell limit. You have 20 buy and sell orders each to use. 

Thank you this guide was extremely helpful and hopefully now i can make a lot of money.

Also are there any things you recommend that i buy and sell now?

If you couldn't tell i just got this game and i was pretty confused on most things before.

Edited by robodragen2006

2 hours ago, robodragen2006 said:

Thank you this guide was extremely helpful and hopefully now i can make a lot of money.

Also are there any things you recommend that i buy and sell now?

If you couldn't tell i just got this game and i was pretty confused on most things before.

This spreadsheet has lists of items with increasing/decreasing prices. If you buy the ones with decreasing prices and sell ones with increasing prices then you will make profit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ToFn7lWo3L6zbn8g0dBmz5FiML2vk38qLZxJG7JpXbk/edit#gid=254225692

Edited by drThunderbuckle

Sign in to follow this