Panik_Knopf

New Map: Underground

How about a underground map with a special feature.

A Underground map created like this (example London):

maplarge.thumb.gif.2d400f4106c32944bbae9

There is a need to add some kind of small vaults (old stations) into the map, to have some room to drive, but the main parts should be tunnel.

The special feature will be, that there will be some blockings (like train wagons or gates) which close some tunnel and they will be set randomly at match-start.

You got one map, that is differend every time you play it.

This map a two definitly plus:

1. No "usualy way" to drive

2. No group-rush because the tunnel are not wide enough for more then two builds

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 8

Opening up, gathering feedback from players!

(Sorry for the delay! Technical problems threw a wrench in the internet.)

I love the idea of an enclosed map. A subway system might be too confining, though... There will need to be some open areas, so stuff like Mandrakes can remain at least somewhat playable on it.

As for randomly cutting off tunnels & modifying the map's flow each time it is played, that's a nifty way to give replayability. The game "Risk of Rain" uses a similar method (actually tweaking entire sections of the level) to make replay more interesting. This might confuse newbies, but that's a risk most XO regulars would probably take.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Comrade_Tiki said:

(Sorry for the delay! Technical problems threw a wrench in the internet.)

Not a problem at all. As long as all 4 topics get released and did not sunk in the dust :-)

8 minutes ago, Comrade_Tiki said:

I love the idea of an enclosed map. A subway system might be too confining, though... There will need to be some open areas, so stuff like Mandrakes can remain at least somewhat playable on it.

That was a problem I was thinking about the last few days. Maybe insteat of a subwaytunnel-system we could use something like the water channal in the map PowerPlant (right side of the map), something equal to the channels in the map Tower, but without a possibility to not drive above the walls or maybe a dessert canyon with some stone bridges and overhangs.

14 minutes ago, Comrade_Tiki said:

As for randomly cutting off tunnels & modifying the map's flow each time it is played, that's a nifty way to give replayability. The game "Risk of Rain" uses a similar method (actually tweaking entire sections of the level) to make replay more interesting. This might confuse newbies, but that's a risk most XO regulars would probably take.

I thing this is a main problem of most games if you play it a lot. After a while you know 'in 99% will the opponent drive truh this canyon' or 'if I am at this side at that map, I will stay at this point...'.

If there is some random blocking, you are in need to customise your taktiks everytime you play it.

• Confused 1

Maybe the map could include the underground sections as described, but also have the above-ground be accessible, with objectives being above-ground? Players would have to worry about enemies coming from multiple levels of the map.

Also, the tunnels would have to be really wide. I can't see the monster trucks in this game fitting through subway tunnels.

• Thanks 1

Underground map sounds interesting although most likely they would make it flat on just one level :( 

8 hours ago, DominusPericulum said:

Maybe the map could include the underground sections as described, but also have the above-ground be accessible, with objectives being above-ground? Players would have to worry about enemies coming from multiple levels of the map.

Also, the tunnels would have to be really wide. I can't see the monster trucks in this game fitting through subway tunnels.

This will totally destroy the map idea.

The concept is, that you only can drive in this tunnel and the ways between the bases will always random blocked. If you would have the possibility to drive above, it will eliminate this special part of this map.

And the "wide monster truck thing" is the reason why I changed the concept in my second post from subway tunnel to water channel.

Edited by Panik_Knopf
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, YugoslavGamer said:

Underground map sounds interesting although most likely they would make it flat on just one level :( 

For a multi level map, look at my topping "car park".

• Confused 1

On 10/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, Comrade_Tiki said:

This could be partly solved by not putting the map in the newbie rotation.

IIRC not all of the combat maps are available to new players. I remember back when I hit a certain Engineer's level and had just gotten used to the maps available the game suddenly threw new maps at me.

Anyway this subway map would likely have a similar claustrophobic feeling as Sector Ex map has. I personally like Sector Ex but many hate it for it's tight corridors and small outlets which get in the way. The hover players are gonna hate the tunnel sections for sure.

8 hours ago, Spedemix said:

The hover players are gonna hate the tunnel sections for sure.

Yes, and slow track builds hate the open area maps (which are loved by hovers)

And slow track build love the "claustrophobic" city map which is hated by hovers and fast builds.

So all player-style / build has something to hate:

!!! equality rules !!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

I really like this idea. Imagine the tactical choices.

Besides having an underground settlement would be so cool.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2018 at 9:30 PM, xxTwistedxx said:

Cool idea but I think it would be too narrow and cramped for vehicle combat 

That is something we discous above your comment and I think we find a good solution:

On 10/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, Panik_Knopf said:

That was a problem I was thinking about the last few days. Maybe insteat of a subwaytunnel-system we could use something like the water channal in the map PowerPlant (right side of the map), something equal to the channels in the map Tower, but without a possibility to not drive above the walls or maybe a dessert canyon with some stone bridges and overhangs.

How about a subterranean system with long tunnels and caves?

Maybe even a pit where you can fall down in (similar to driving into the acid pool) :D

• Like 1

No more maps with ceiling. They will make Mandrake and Incinerator useless. And some weapons like porcupine will be too powerful and effective.

Map giving penalty (or advantage) to specific builds and parts is not unfair.

Hi Folks,

Just to add my 20C worth, why can't the map be a mixture of underground and open areas (much like area51), but themed as a railyard?  Part will be the underground network - available to small to medium builds.  The rest of the map would be open area and be part of the main rail lines.  All of these network of tunnels and recessed rail lines form a network that has 5 obvious stations, one in each corner and 1 in the middle.

Map modes might include:

Domination - capture 3 stations out of 5

Capture - Capture the central station

I do like the idea of multiple approach paths to various areas of the map. 

Alternatively, this might also be used for a reservoir/aquifer, with lots of huge pipes, voluminous tanks, underground tunnels, damns, etc

We really do need some new maps - more than we need new weapons IMO.

regards,

Stoopid_noob.

Edited by Stoopid_noob
Added reservoir option.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:21 PM, Stoopid_noob said:

We really do need some new maps - more than we need new weapons IMO.

I agree. 3 more maps. Or at least any new one please.

Edited by VisceraCleaner
  • Upvote 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:06 AM, VisceraCleaner said:

No more maps with ceiling. They will make Mandrake and Incinerator useless. And some weapons like porcupine will be too powerful and effective.

Map giving penalty (or advantage) to specific builds and parts is not unfair.

Imagine how even more overpowered sparkvester would be in close spaces :v

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GentlemanRevvnar said:

Imagine how even more overpowered sparkvester would be in close spaces :v

I played a few games with underground maps. They are worse! Sun lights, stars light, the moon, the sun, fog and rain are impossible to see on them, it's artistically mediocre. I hope they never do undergrounds maps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If it's a mix of open and enclosed, then Mandrakes, etc. can watch the entrances to the tunnels.  Harvesters will dominate in the tunnels, for sure.  But if the mix of open and enclosed is about 70 open/30 enclosed, then we should be pretty balanced...

The main problem might be 1 point on cap - then hide in a tunnel.

...that may be an issue.

St_noob. :my_precious: