dukerustfield

Grilles, Buggy Parts, and Pass-Through

Interesting... although it should be noted that shotguns like MG deal hitscan bullet damage and not explosive one. As you certainly know... but you phrase it a bit inartfully.

Grilles like frames are primarly meant to hold your vehicle together. They also can be used as quite good spaced armor against explosive damage as they trigger the detonation just as decor does but with the added benefit of having at least a chance to survive the first impact.

The next interesting question would be... do they stop executioners and other penetrating weapons from penetrating and if yes by how much.

11 hours ago, ARES_IV said:

The next interesting question would be... do they stop executioners and other penetrating weapons from penetrating and if yes by how much.

Nope.

Same spot on both parts that the explosion starts from but the grills transfer damage that the non-grill parts don't.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So, I never liked Executioners. They are hard to figure out. They're the only cannon I never got into. They penetrate a certain distance and then explode like normal cannons. But they do damage while penetrating as well. And I just can't figure it out and I never really tried because I simply don't like the weapon.

Do grilles act as objects to stop Scorpions? Yes. A scorpion hitting grille(s) with armor behind it will do less damage to the armor behind it and will penetrate less far. In that sense, Grilles rank up there with decor in being fantastic Scorpion "armor." Because Scorpions will only do 10% to grilles and will count as hitting their first object. So as the bolt travels forward, it will immediately begin losing damage, even though it hit a weak part for very little damage.

Do grilles act as objects to stop Executioners? I don't know. I tried to do a few tests. But then I realized that Executioners act like explosions. Meaning, they detonate when they get within 1.5 squares of something. You can test it by aiming NEAR a wheel or something. It will do damage to it even though it didn't penetrate anything. Or even directly hit anything. So I decided my tests weren't working properly because I couldn't tell what it was truly hitting and where it was penetrating or what it was penetrating. If you make a set of armor pieces that has a hole in it, like a rectangle, and shoot through it with an executioner, it will explode--if the whole is like 3 squares or less in size. So I got tired of it because I don't like Executioners. But just realize that the initial shell works like any other explosion, as far as I can tell. Where and how the penetration comes into play and how it works, I don't know.

• Confused 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, dukerustfield said:

Do grilles act as objects to stop Scorpions? Yes. A scorpion hitting grille(s) with armor behind it will do less damage to the armor behind it and will penetrate less far. In that sense, Grilles rank up there with decor in being fantastic Scorpion "armor." Because Scorpions will only do 10% to grilles and will count as hitting their first object. So as the bolt travels forward, it will immediately begin losing damage, even though it hit a weak part for very little damage.

This is wrong.

Scorpion is the only weapon in the game which inflicts full damage to parts "which can be shot through". I've actually made a bug report about it but the devs insist it's a feature. One hell of a feature if you ask me.

You can test it yourself: Shoot a gun mount off with a scorp and notice how it does the full 38 damage to it instead of 33 (a single scorp shot does 330 damage). If you really wanna make this is correct, shoot a 4x8 frame off and notice how it does 96 damage even when frames are suppose to have the same pass through feature as grilles.

• Like 1

Oh, wow, I didn't understand what you were saying at first. But that seems to be true.

I put a 2 gun mounts and 2 buggy floors in a line also connected to the cabin roof. And a scorpion shot through them all. I lined up four 8x4 frames and it shot through them all. That's just stupid. I've constructed a number of vehicles to be somewhat frame-independent because I know scorps can shoot through, but didn't know they could shoot through essentially an infinite number.