Spedemix

It's not Cheating, it's "checking the corners". Predictive firing and decloaking enemies with cannons

So, I've probably had my fair share of reports for cheating for pulling stuff like this off:

Spoiler

So, how does this work? I'll try my best to explain.

First of all you needto become aware of the fact you can decloak enemies in the first place, without the need to resort to cheats. I used to think any person who'd pull this kind of stuff off would be cheating, plain and simple. It wasn't until I saw some videos (like the one above) where people who I presumed were cheating showed me how it's done. Before that I wasn't even attempting to decloak enemies using cannons. So it starts with believing yourself! :DD

Secondly it's all about the map awareness. Ever since the minimap in the corner became resizable, I've been experimenting with bigger sizes to see more of the map without bringing the big map up with Tab. If there are no enemies in my LOS I tend to focus on the minimap more and pay attention to the amount of red dots in my vicinity and the direction they are going at. If you see a red dot disappear it likely means someone's making a move towards you. Get ready to react. You can obviously do this reliably only with a Radar Detector in your team. Without detector you're gonna have to rely bit more on your experience. And your luck. Sometimes I just check corners with my cannons and occasionally get lucky.

The minimap also gives the enemy type away relatively easily. If it's a fast moving arrow, it's likely a melee or shotgunner. If it's reaally slow and seems to move sideways every now and then, probably a spider. If it tends to have one of its sides constantly facing towards your team's frontier it probably a hover so you know to aim a bit higher.

Side note: Generally speaking I find the overall map awareness skills of an average player surprisingly low. I've seen things like a dual Mandrake player climbing up to a hill when i can clearly see four enemies waiting at the said hill (our team had a detector). The Drake dude just climbs there and dies in an instant. I've seen a situation where I decloak a lancer who then proceeds to drive another 100-200 meters uncloaked in my team's territory while I spam "Watch out!" and yell "Lancer!!" in the VC. My teammates fail to react to this this lone guy in our territory and the dude gets an easy kill out of someone. :dntknw:

But I digress.

Thirdly you need to understand you're fighting against other human beings, who can be rather predictable. We know the bots are predictably unpredictable but humans are just plain predictable. They will take the fastest and easiest route to you if they think they can get away with it. That's why you can decloak even an experienced player like one from a R1P clan (like I do in the vid). These experienced players tend to change their habits once they see someone seems to be pretty good at predicting. In a competetive scene it puts an extra weight on their mental load thus increasing their chance of making some other type of mistake. To be fair I need to be mindful of this too; when I go against the top10 clans in CW I need to make sure I'm not too predictable with my moves.

Experience makes this all easier of course. In time you get a "feel" for where the enemies might come from and when exactly take a shot. Sometimes if I'm not sure whether a cloaked enemy is coming for me I often take the shot anyway. There' very little for me to lose there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I was about to go all "that's classic competitive FPS stuff"... but I looked at the video and... some of these shots are nasty >.>.

The last advice but that doesn't apply much with most fixed cannons (except the Judge) is to shoot at the ground where you think the opponent is. You can miss but still get him with the blast radius.

edit: as a side note, the radar/minimap is the best tool at a player's disposal. I used to shoot through walls in CS orienting myself with the radar; surprisingly effective.

Edited by Clebardman
  • Upvote 3

DON'T STOP BELIEVING!

• Haha 5

That show them posts about "Hacks and Exploits" by others. Once we know the maps, some of us know where players maybe hiding to ambush:5739e92736a0e_):. A shell or 2 can help:5739e92736a0e_):. Good one:012j:.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2019 at 1:02 AM, blablabla78987 said:

add an Oculus VI?

just kidding, you are very good at firing and decloaking enemies with cannons. Good job, :good:

Actually I've began experimenting with the Oculus. It makes this stuff much much easier but i can't fit it into all of my builds.

The Old Town corner is the classic, everyone with a cloak thinks they'll sneak around that one but it's such a short map you can easily watch them start their move with a Radar Detector from across the other corner.

• Upvote 1