ORCA1911

I can't be the only one

Poll title  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• Yes
    • No

The maps are mostly just bad, there are some neat ones but overall the situations isnt that great. The trapezoid/prism hills are difficult to handle for gameplay, for racing, for movement in general. Picture for reference.

hills.jpg

The collision mechanic needs a bit of improving, it would be about time, driving on a seemingly flat surface just to get a triple backflip out of nowhere isn't a fun experience.

Basically what im trying to say is, i cant be the only one looking for:

1- Smoother map surfaces and a reworked collision mechanic where you get a warning message upon reaching critical velocity instead of a surprise explosion.
2- Better suspension mechanic to mitigate the unnecessary backflips.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Not sure if it's map geometry or how the game handles collision, but no more excessive flip/stop when you clunk the ground please.

2 hours ago, Clebardman said:

Not sure if it's map geometry or how the game handles collision, but no more excessive flip/stop when you clunk the ground please.

It's like, i can ignore every imbalance in the game just let me play my build without flipping everywhere lol

That feeling when your new car with an undercab fuel tank does a wheelie in front of a cannon user >:c

• Haha 5

I even respect the ride height requirements but what flips me over is that front armor/bumper that's just a tire's length in front of me... you can't really expect me to build a car with go-kart wheelbase design, it just begs to be shot off easily.

3 hours ago, ORCA1911 said:

I even respect the ride height requirements but what flips me over is that front armor/bumper that's just a tire's length in front of me... you can't really expect me to build a car with go-kart wheelbase design, it just begs to be shot off easily.

Well, you can always put your plow upside down and get wedged by every shotgun user out there. It even looks pretty!

Ah fun times man...

Hey ! :)

I'm not an expert in game development, but I will try to explain what I think this could be.

First, it's important to understand what game models are made of. Models (maps, weapons etc) are meshes, which are assortments of triangles. These meshes can be used to display textures on, used as hitboxes, etc. For exemple, take this model :

387297026_2019-05-2422_20_39-MeshLab20161160224694_2019-05-2422_21_06-MeshLab201

It's a simple sphere. It has 12600 triangles and weight 964 Ko as a 3D file.

Now, you want the file to be lighter for any reason (in this case, for faster download and improved loading times),  so you use a "decimate" operation, which will reduce the triangle count, like this :

1071170234_2019-05-2422_23_43-MeshLab201

Now it has only 200 triangles, and weight 12 Ko ! And there, the "bumpy" thing you feel with maps hitboxes appears. 

So, for bigger objects such as maps, the triangle count is important. To have the lower loading time of maps, the triangle count is reduced at the maximum. Hitboxes are invisible, so their triangle count can be reduced to lower the amount of computing power needed. That's also what you see if you watch a wheel from far with a scope for example, the game makes render parts that are too far with a lower level of details, saving tons of computing power.

Without this optimization, many players wouldn't be able to run the game with older/cheaper graphics cards, just because of the hitboxes insane triangle count. The mesh with the ground texture is already in a high triangle count, so computing two big identical meshes will be a waste of computing resources, while you have all the other models to render at the same time.

In that case, can we just slightly bump up the triangle numbers lol some parts of the map just feel like prisms, you can actually see these triangles you talk about.