Spedemix

Countering Porcupines

Very informative post. Thanks for this, Spede.
Will try to improve my behavior around porcs further based on this :014:

Since the Porcs are still relatively rare, I don't get to fight them as often. Here's one match which showcases pretty well how situational this weapon can be. When the Porcupine is out of range, he's basically free food.

Spoiler

My dream build is a 4 or 5 porcupines either on spider or on fast build cuz they are unique and a blast to play :D

But for now Scorcupine is really fun aswell.

screenshot-190616-153256.jpg?width=1192&

Well another match where we met Porcs, didn't prove to be much of a challenge. We know the Porcupine's a short-range weapon so as long we keep our distance to it we should have no problems dealing with it. Someone calls out the Porc's in the the middle of the map and is coming to us so I order a retreat. As long as the Porc doesn't get too close, it's not gonna be a problem. Here we have quite a lot of Typhoons in our team but you could totally pull this off with Tsunami spiders as well.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

There's a new king in town: Hover Porcupines.

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Most of the Hover Porcs run three porcs, two Kapkans, Colossus engine and a cloak - often on Echo cabin. I've also seen some Harpy Porc Hovers which I guess are a bit more PvP-focused since they can't tank as much (even when their firepower is devastating). If they get into physical contact, they can even damage enemy hovers before they're down on the ground.

The playstyle often involves around 1v1:ing anything it desires - a lone enemy spider, the sole melee player on enemy team and so on. It will keep its eye on that enemy for the entirety of the match. The point of Porc hovers is to have a hover in your team that counters melees very comfortably so everybody else can run their Typhoon or Scorp hovers and deal with pretty much anything else with ease. Because your entire team is hovers, timing moves and plays is easier.

In the heat of the moment the Porc player will take on that one enemy he want's down and just yolo it, there is not whole lotta dogfighting (and really no need since the hover can just tank it). It'll come next to you, drop Kapkans and then tries to rotate to the other side of you and push you into the Kapkans. If you get Kapkaned, it's probably game over so you need to be really mindful about where the Porc dude dropped 'em. The way I keep my track of them is I listen to the clicking sound of Kapkans being launched and then memorize the position the Porc dude was when I heard that sound. Sometimes in order not to get kapkaned you need to move towards the enemy Porc dude, take a number of hits and then move past him. It's still better than being kapkaned for 10 seconds. If the Poc guy is smart, he'll use his Echo perk only after you're kapkaned and thus can pretty much secure the kill.

If the enemy squad has a Porc Hover and you see one of your teammates kapkaned, be the good boy and free him by shooting the Kapkan. It is quintessential you and your teammates stay kapkan-free.

One last thing to mention: degunning the Porc hover is not enough because of the mobility of hovers. Even an absolutely crippled hover can still move and will drive next you and drop a Kapkan next you while you're trying to deal with a (insert a meta build here). Whoever is dealing with the Porc hover and is winning will either kill it or make sure it doesn't move. I've lost a number of matches where my team pacified an enemy Porc hover only for it to come back, Kapkan us and foil our endgame in a match.

If you, the Porc Hover player is struggling to get enemy hovers damaged, you want your teammates to damage the enemy hovers a bit until they start hanging a bit. Removing one or two hovers often does the trick. When a hovercraft leans even just a little bit, it's often enough for them to trigger a detonation from a porc barrel rolling on the ground. That's why if you run a Porc hover on your team, it is important you signal your teammates "this guy is hanging" etc.

• Upvote 1

On a related note a direct counter to the type of porc build you see in pvp where they are installed at the front or in a relatively exposed position, is Phoenix crossbows.

Just put a couple of bolts on the front of a porc and as soon as they fire it detonators, in most cases insta killing, or removing all the weapons. 

There's basically two things to worry about there:  Direct Fire, and AoE.  We have to counter both the Barrels flying at you, and the barrels on the ground, which act as Mines.

However, any counter  also has to work with your build, because you can't just launch a counter-build, and hope that you encounter Porcupines.  Shotguns work pretty well for both catching them in the air, and setting them off on the ground.

However, they also overheat, while Porcupines do not.  So, they can just wait for your Shotguns to overheat, or your single-shot guns to reload, and reload faster.  I don't actually get seal-clubbed by Porcupines all that often, but my Laser doesn't set them off in Direct fire.  The Autocannons work for the ones on the ground, but so far, I've been taking out the Hover they're attached to.  

If there's some better ideas, I'd love to read them before I get to the Power Score where they're ubiquitous.  The ones I'm running into are majorly stripped, to keep their PS down.  (Using 3 Relics tends to do that,)

I have a question about Porcupines, and Blight.  Does the Green Fire effect happen when you launch them with the Blight perk active, or if the explode with the Blight Perk active?  I don't have either, but I just ran into some on the battlefield (Wheeled, not Hover platform) and they burned green when they exploded.  Does that mean they had the Blight Perk up when I hit them, or when they Launched them?

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Upvote 1

When combatting against a Porc, be it a hover or wagon your first step to success is to make sure you do not drive in the kapkans the thing lays down. One of the main strategies Porc hovers do is they drop Kapkans on one side of you and then try to strafe to the other side and hope you fall back into those Kapkans. Once you're Kapkaned you're toast.

Always pay attention to the sounds of Kapkans being deployed and avoid those places like a plague if you're in a close range brawl with a Porc player. You'd rather take couple of extra porcs to the face then get kapkaned if you're force to choose.

Check this out:

Spoiler

• Notice how the porc hover pushes me out of all the players in my team. He did make the right choice on that; Porc hovers eat melees and spiders. Once he gets up the hill he lays down some Kapkans at 0:18 which is the reason I exit the hill as fast as I can.
  • Also notice how in 0:35 the porc hover attempts to circle behind me probably with the intention of putting some Kapkans there. That is a fairly typical move I see from these porc hovers. Had I not stunned him and denied him the opportuity it would've been game over for me.
  • If you're running Typhoons, keep splitting the shots to keep the Porc player stuned as long as possible

This is bit more anecdotal but if you happen to be running a build like mine, a Spider with two Typhoons and a single Porc, you'll have the best chance of beating these things in 1v1 when talking about things which do not directly counter the porc hovers. You'll use Typhoons to stun the and damage the enemy. Because the enemy is stunned you're gonna have a bit easier dodging the rolling porcupines he unleashes. Dodge as many as you can using your (excellent) maneuvering skills and whatever barrels you cannot dodge you use your own porc to destroy his barrels. This strategy gives you the best chances of succeeding.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:20 AM, psiberzerker said:

Does the Green Fire effect happen when you launch them with the Blight perk active, or if the explode with the Blight Perk active? 

It only happens when you fire while it is active.

There is no weapon that counters porcupines. There is nothing in the game with remotely the same DPS on a per energy basis or PS basis as porcupines. Not even close. There is no weapon you can put on Car X that will win vs. the same Car X with Porcupines. You can't even fit on one Grenadier for the same energy.

This thread is stupid because it makes the assumption that Porcs are balanced. They are not balanced. People shouldn't worry about trying to counter broken stuff, they should worry about fixing broken stuff. This thread is assuming the porc player is building garbage and your job is to counter a garbage porc player. You can fit porcupines into 4K games and still run goliath tracks, an engine, epic ammo, etc. And you won't counter it because you don't counter broken stuff.