ZERGOR

A reworked invasion mode

Invasion could be a very fun mode but it suffer a bit from it's design.

The current design allow a few very unfun things like the dreaded suicide Leviathan with 30 lances that cloak and rams the tower and wins instantly.

What I propose is not changing the leviathans but the map. Use a part of a chase map with a relatively long straight (or not so straight if it works better) road.

-The Leviathans always spawn from a sort of hangar at one end of the road with a few vehicles at it's sides.

-The Leviathans follow a scripted path along the road. On that path there are two gates and the pump each separated by a large distance. The gates block the road but players can easily move around them by leaving the road. The Leviathan won't. Leviathan would move at 75% or their build's max speed to allow players more time to destroy them between objectives (this number can be tweaked if not satisfying)

-The Leviathan will not stop for players but will hit them with it's weapons in range. It will always prioritize players over objectives (weapons that can't reach players will attack the objective though), the Leviathan will ram the gates with it's melee weapons but gates will have increased resistance to raming and melee damages (to avoid ramming being too effective. Letting a leviathan in contact of a gate with melee weapons should allow a fairly fast gate destruction though). 

-If a Leviathan is destroyed a new one spawn immediately at the hangar with a few new vehicles.

-The timer would still exist in case a Leviathan is paralysed due to the destruction of moving parts but usually long games would end with the Leviathan destroying the pump. Alternatively waves of small vehicles could spawn every minute the leviathan is not destroyed to force the players to act (those waves could be stronger each time)

-Players would (re)spawn behind the first undestroyed structure (gate 1 then gate 2 then pump).

This would make Leviathan feel more like unstoppable machines of destruction slowly moving toward their objective. 3 part objective will make sure a sneaky craft can't just blow the objective with 30 lances. Goliath builds will stay powerful but their lower max speed will allow players more time to destroy them compared to lighter builds.

Schema.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Suggestion opened up to gather more feedback. :salute:

Yeah, I think this is really cool. The only problem is apart from Cursed mines no other Chase/convoy map can handle this. All of the older raid convoy maps are simply too small to fit a levi+4 players. The old chase was already pretty crowded with the older maps.

The depedency to player's max speed could create exploits where a group queues to this mode and they'd have one ML 200 player on Humpack to make sure Levi top speed wouldn't exceed 40km/h no matter what they'd use. In the current invasion mode the faster Levis still have their place but at least they can't "run away" to one end off the map and your players end up playing catch up with them.

3 hours ago, Spedemix said:

Yeah, I think this is really cool. The only problem is apart from Cursed mines no other Chase/convoy map can handle this. All of the older raid convoy maps are simply too small to fit a levi+4 players. The old chase was already pretty crowded with the older maps.

The depedency to player's max speed could create exploits where a group queues to this mode and they'd have one ML 200 player on Humpack to make sure Levi top speed wouldn't exceed 40km/h no matter what they'd use. In the current invasion mode the faster Levis still have their place but at least they can't "run away" to one end off the map and your players end up playing catch up with them.

Right now we only have have one map for leviathans so only have one new map for it wouldn't change a lot. Plus if that work well there are a few maps that could be tweaked to works. One one map (I am terrible with remembering map names) there are a few bridges and long roads. Their problems is they are packed with crashed cars but I am sure it can be cleaned.

The max speed wasn't very well explained, I am sorry. I just meant that Leviathans would move at 75% of their own max speed. That mean a leviathan build that should go at 60km/h will only go at 45km/h.

This is just done so at worst if people try to craft super fast leviathans that go at 100km/h they will in fact top at a manageable 75km/h. This also would make players think more about their Leviathan craft. Stacking tons of Goliaths as extra armor is great but it comes at the cost of having a slow snail. On the other hand it reduces the chances of having the build paralysed and unable to complete the objective (there should still be a timer like before for that case of an immobilized leviathan. At first I wanted leviathans to be unstoppable like the convoys are but that would mean indestructible wheels and frame and that could easily be exploited to have overprotected weapons on the leviathans, Goliaths instantly come to mind, again).

Edited by Zergor256