Carnaxus

Z-fighting on Awakening map near Firestarter totems

Error report
Describe problem and what you saw I was doing a cargo pickup challenge near the Ravager gate (the west one that looks all futuristic), and went into a small depression in the ground.  The textures all around me were flickering constantly.  This usually means there's z-fighting going on, which (for the non-tech-minded) is when there are two textured faces too close to each other, causing the game to have trouble figuring out which one is supposed to actually show.  Here's a video of the error, including my location on the minimap.
What you expected to see No flickering.
Conditions in which error reproduce Drive to this point and move your camera around.
Problem details This is not a clientside rendering bug, therefore there won't be anything in the logs that will help.  This is a simple mapping mistake that can only be remedied by editing the actual map slightly (either removing duplicate faces or moving them a little farther apart).  I also never saw anything like this before the latest major update; since then, I've seen it sporadically on a few maps, but I was always too busy battling to stop and record or screenshot it.  I have seen this before in games that have custom maps when the map creator has done exactly as I said above, put two faces too close to each other.
Frequency of reproduction always
Time of bug  

Edited by Carnaxus
Mistake, not bug.

6 hours ago, Carnaxus said:

Problem details

Game logs needed.

Please, read this 

This is not a clientside bug, therefore clientside logs are not relevant.  This issue is caused by either a serverside error or a simple mistake made by whoever created/edited the map we play on in Awakening.

I have created maps for other games where I have accidentally caused this issue.  This issue can be resolved by checking the offending areas and making sure the fighting faces are a little farther away from each other.  There is nothing wrong with the game client.  This is 100% a serverside bug.  Therefore, clientside logs are useless.

On top of that, I provided a video, and mentioned that I have seen it occasionally on other maps as well.  If I see it again, either on the Awakening map or on another map, I will record it again and add that footage here (via Youtube, since the files are too large to be attached directly).

I love how just because I provided irrefutable proof that it's a map bug and not a game-client bug you guys have apparently decided to just completely ignore me.  You're probably going to respond with something like "You refused to give logs so we can't (aka won't) do anything about this."

You apparently think I'm just another player spouting jargon I read on Google.  I'm not.  I have been creating game content for multiple games since at least 2002 if not earlier, including Half-Life, HL2, and a MMO called Shaiya.  I have had this exact same issue happen on more than one occasion, in more than one game, and have fixed it every time by doing exactly what I outlined above.  This issue is not caused by anything to do with players' computers, drivers, OSes, hardware, etc.  This issue is caused only by there being two textured faces too close together in the map data itself.  This is a very easy thing to fix, but you are refusing to even acknowledge anything I say simply because I've told you that clientside logs are useless.

You guys remind me of Ubisuck.  You refuse to listen to your players unless they follow your exact instructions, and half the time you then reply with "There's no bug here" when even I, a person who's never seen any of the game's actual code, can see both the bug and how it can be fixed (in layman's terms, true, but still).

Here, let me spell this out even simpler: There is in fact NO BUG in the game's engine.  There is in fact NO BUG in my computer's software or hardware.  There is in fact NO BUG in the game's renderer.  There is in fact NO BUG anywhere in the CODE of the game.  This bug is ENTIRELY in the MAP FILE, and is EASILY FIXED by just EDITING THE MAP SLIGHTLY.  It does NOT require a full rework of the entire map.  It does NOT entail weeks, days, or even hours of work.  This bug CAN BE FIXED in about FIFTEEN MINUTES.

Now FIX IT.

Edited by Carnaxus
Stop giving us the runaround and fix your game already!
  • Upvote 1

Just give them the damn logs. Take an SS and then give logs from the session where you took the SS. That'll shut them up.

Holy cow devs didnt answer yet,just throw them the logs and let them do what they think they should