Tripp1986

Camera locking option

Please do this. For frontal players and racing this is a given. Hold down R3 could lock camera vertically L3 could lock camera horizanally.

Edit: Maybe dont try locking both at the same time :D

Edited by Tripp1986
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Suggestion opened up to gather more feedback. :salute:

• Upvote 1

Since I'm a PC player, there is no L3 or R3- and any keybinding would have to be somewhere difficult to accidentally press in the heat of things.

So having a locking option in setting would be time consuming switching between. I think the feature would be targeted towards racers/frontal/melee users anyways though. Would be no different than changing control layout when switching between hovers legs wheels and the like. Doing this would work but the downside would be the inability to look around you. Perhaps improving the option "camera follows vehicle movement" would be better than a new layout. If the camera automatically turned with the vehicle and still allowed you to turn to look and aim, the camera would automatically snap back when you stop fiddling with the camera. This allows for driving without always having to manually control the camera.

• Upvote 1

That is new knowledge for me I do not know how

to actually work, so it makes me dizzy like that world

is never ending. I have studied more, can see that I

can have my own value, probably better. If we do that,

it should be more convenient to work if we are used to

it. But even so, there are still many people who

sbobet don't know me. Thank you for those people.

• Confused 1

So I figured it out I think. 

The "camera follows car movement" checkbox option.

When used it does exactly what I proposed (to a degree).

Add a slider to adjust the strength of this option.

At the strongest setting it will turn the camera when turning the vehicle.

At the lowest setting the camera is 100% manual.

No need to even have the checkbox anymore.

Just the "camera follows vehicle movement strength" slider. 

DONE! PLEASE DO THIS!

• Upvote 1

L3 and R3 are used for strafing on controllers. Not a good idea.

The "camera follow strength" seems kinda odd. If you set it at 50%, does it mean the camera turns 90 degrees if the player turns 180 degrees?

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe a better implementation would be the kind of setup where the camera follows the vehicle, but you could use the right analog stick to rotate the camera momentarily. If you hold the stick in one position, it'll keep the camera there, but once you center the stick, the camera will also center itself. Some older arcade flight games like Star Wars Rogue Squadron games Nintendo Gamecube used a system like this and it worked well there.

Still, it feels quite a lot of work for something relatively niche and limited. Likely the angle would be limited on 90 degrees left and right which means you won't be able to look behind you. So I dont know if it's worth the effort. My opinion as a M+KB user is obviously bit biased though.

3 hours ago, Spedemix said:

L3 and R3 are used for strafing on controllers. Not a good idea.

The "camera follow strength" seems kinda odd. If you set it at 50%, does it mean the camera turns 90 degrees if the player turns 180 degrees?

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe a better implementation would be the kind of setup where the camera follows the vehicle, but you could use the right analog stick to rotate the camera momentarily. If you hold the stick in one position, it'll keep the camera there, but once you center the stick, the camera will also center itself. Some older arcade flight games like Star Wars Rogue Squadron games Nintendo Gamecube used a system like this and it worked well there.

Still, it feels quite a lot of work for something relatively niche and limited. Likely the angle would be limited on 90 degrees left and right which means you won't be able to look behind you. So I dont know if it's worth the effort. My opinion as a M+KB user is obviously bit biased though.

At 100% as you turn the vehicle the camera turns with it.

At 0% it's basically off.

Anywhere in between would have a delay between turning your vehicle and the camera turning to align with the direction you are driving. The high the setting the faster the camera would react and realign. This is currently how it works. 

This would allow players to always have manual control over the camera. It won't prevent you from looking behind you but once you stop fussing with the camera it would snap back. Players could fine tune it to their preferred strength.

14 hours ago, Tripp1986 said:

Anywhere in between would have a delay between turning your vehicle and the camera turning to align with the direction you are driving. The high the setting the faster the camera would react and realign. This is currently how it works. 

This would allow players to always have manual control over the camera. It won't prevent you from looking behind you but once you stop fussing with the camera it would snap back. Players could fine tune it to their preferred strength.

Hmm, ok now I understand better.

It still feels kinda unintuitive from a design perspective. Can you give examples of games that'd use a camera system like this? Or maybe I still don't "get" it.

2 hours ago, Spedemix said:

It still feels kinda unintuitive from a design perspective. Can you give examples of games that'd use a camera system like this? Or maybe I still don't "get" it.

Some driving games have a "reset camera" function that brings is to its default state but I can't name one from the top of my head right now (GTA V maybe...?), but I never seen a "camera lock" function.

It would basicaly turn Crossout in a driving simulator (which I can see some use in races) while a camera reset would be useful for checking your surroundings instantly instead of having to see things on a "turning speed" so to speak.

Edited by lucashc90

Crossout already has a Camera reset button - least on PC. It's the T button default in keyboard. Functionally identical to the way it works on GTA.

1 hour ago, Spedemix said:

Crossout already has a Camera reset button - least on PC. It's the T button default in keyboard. Functionally identical to the way it works on GTA.

Consoles have no such button me think. It would be good primarily for races and those using frontal weapons and melee. On ps4 they keep making the booster button for events square with requires you to use the camera thumb... so turning and maneuvering while boosting is difficult. Maybe a different control scheme that would solve this but I think most players on consoles use the default "race" controls. Consoles have 3 weapon/activate buttons that require you to take a thumb off the joystick for the camera. One day we will have more to controller buttons. Like r1 l1 r1 l1 r3 l3 r4 l4. The joystick buttons will just become r or l what ever number is next.

5 hours ago, Spedemix said:

What OP wants is a button that locks the camera after that reset.

1 hour ago, lucashc90 said:

What OP wants is a button that locks the camera after that reset.

I've moved passed a locking mechanism as my more recent posts here described an easier more effective and flexible alternative.

10 hours ago, Spedemix said:

Console has not.

PC also has a "free look" button to turn cam without turning guns. Console has not. Sucks.

14 hours ago, fftunes4real said:

Console has not.

PC also has a "free look" button to turn cam without turning guns. Console has not. Sucks.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM1Sw3433B5znivte2vw7

I just want the ability to make ALT (aim lock) togglable, rather than require holding it.

Some of my builds require a weapon to be aimed specifically, so I use ALT a lot... and it not only occupies my finger, but it prevents me from opening my map (assigned to TAB) while I'm holding it.

:03:

As for locking the camera to car position, might cause some motion sickness, but maybe it could be useful. I would like the game to have a durable forward-mounted scope/visor, which could achieve the same (in first-person).

^^Hint: rebind your "free look" to Shift. That way it'll be much more comfortable to hold it. And you can still use your handbrake! :DD

My fingers are flexible enough to be able to all of this: Pinky on Shift, Ring on Tab, middle finger on W/S, and thumb for Space. Only downside is you can't turn left while you look at the map.

I'm suspecting some melee players use a macro to lock it down on cue so they don't have to hold it.