fftunes4real

Add "reverse mode" for tracks and meatgrinders

I see no problem with this.

The reverse mode tick box is already there, just include Augers and tracks on it and Bob's your uncle. It'll still be a box you can untick if needed to.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Reverse mode."

It's already in there (control options), but so far it only works for hovers and legs. 

With reverse mode enabled, if you steer left, a hover or spider will always turn left no matter if you go forward or backward (unlike a wheeled car where turn direction changes if you drive backwards).

On 9/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, Canthal said:

Reverse mode is what allowed Sideways hovers and legs in the first place... I am for removing it entirely...

You're wrong btw, hovers always worked like this before reverse mode was introduced. Legs didn't.

6 hours ago, fftunes4real said:

You're wrong btw, hovers always worked like this before reverse mode was introduced. Legs didn't.

Actually right upon introduction hovers didn't have "reverse" mode. If you were backing up and pressed D, you'd turn left. They swapped that during the tail end of 2017.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spedemix said:

Actually right upon introduction hovers didn't have "reverse" mode. If you were backing up and pressed D, you'd turn left. They swapped that during the tail end of 2017.

Ok i didn't know that, i took a break from crossout for a while around that time, i only started using them when they just recieved their first nerf back then and thus were dirt cheap... so it can't have been for long anyway. 

I didn't understand half of what you guys said but if that means better meat grinders and tracks I'm all for it!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

i will enter without knocking ... if you touch anything more on Hovers i automatically exit the game ie. i don't play this game ever again ...too many upgrades happened in this game just because someone doesn't know how to play this game 

• Haha 1

Hello, for my part I believe reverse mode should affect all types of movement parts.

And this setting should also be accessible more easily than in the menu, lets say for example in the garage, next to the weapons hotkey assignment button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Further, give Meat Grinders the same diagonal movement ability as ML legs and hovers.

Further still, give it to Bigrams as well. Ditch the leg/wheel mode switch and make Bigrams move like ML legs and hovers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rico_MJ said:

Further, give Meat Grinders the same diagonal movement ability as ML legs and hovers.

Meat Grinders have the best Circle Straffe in the game, and as an auger lover, I don't want them to be "Just like Hovers" only slower.  

They have their own personality, and that's why I love them.  I even like the abrupt transitions between straffing, and diagonal straffing.  I use those, evasively.  Hover's smooth movements are easier to predict, and lead with weapons like cannons.  On Augers, once you know their reload, you can time it, so you change direction, while leading you.  (The target)  Which means they don't hit you, they shoot the place where you would have been, if you hadn't changed direction.

You can't do that on Hovers.  Likewise, Bigrams.  I don't like them, but that's because they're not Augers, which I love.

The last thing I want is for the high end to be Hovers, and a bunch of other options trying to be Hovers, only slower.

Edited by psiberzerker

I'm not asking for MeatGrinders to lose their personality. But point taken on using those abrupt changes. You can't do that on wheels either but ML legs do give you some similar leverage moves.

But specifically about Bigrams, they suck because they are either an inferior leg or an inferior wheel. They need a personality trait that affords a "power" like those abrupt changes of augers or flip resistance of hovers. At the very least, give Bigrams strafing ability in wheel mode.

I don't have that much experience in this game; never tried hovers, legs or tracks.

I just got myself two MeatGrinders and the steering is so unintuitive. On something that can turn on the spot and has two-dimensional movement on top of that, "turning" means change of jaw-angle to me. Why do my jaw-angle controls invert when I drive backwards? It doesn't make any sense in my head. And it messes up the learning curve of driving meat-grinders.

If you just turn on the spot and want to back up a little bit, you're screwed! Please fix.

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, Rico_MJ said:

But specifically about Bigrams, they suck because they are either an inferior leg or an inferior wheel. They need a personality trait that affords a "power" like those abrupt changes of augers or flip resistance of hovers.

Specific to Reverse mode.  When you switch from Wheels to Legs, the reverse turning is inverted, too.  So, you have to remember (Or check) which mode you're in when you back up, to turn the right way.  

I really have a problem with this, because I use them to adjust aim in Artillery Mode.  (With a tilted Incinerator, or 2)  If I scoot up, and turn, then scoot back, and turn, I have to switch from A to D, playing Peekaboom behind a hill.  It's distracting, while I'm also adjusting the aim-point, and trying to keep an eye out for flanking ninjas...

I know it's a special case (it applies to full Bigram builds too) but here it's even worse, because they can't decide which way to turn in reverse.  God forbid you map the front, and back legs to 2 different buttons, so you can tilt, back and forth.  (This allows you to drop Mandrakes all around you, without tilting way forward) You basically have to just stand still.

I didn't get into a car building/driving game to stand still, let alone flip a coin to figure out which way I'll turn, depending on which legs are in what mode.

Edited by psiberzerker

Yes please, or just make more tickboxes under reverse mode for the various types of parts. I'm also a fan of making the reverse mode affect ALL movement parts as I don't mind mirror matching my reverse on wheels