ZERGOR

A more robust structure: welding strength

14 minutes ago, forc3dinduction said:

lets say you have a piece with 30 weld points, 100 structure and 100 hp

Let's say a Truck Door.  That's 4x8 on the back.  So, if you put 2 Gun Mounts behind it, so that both 4x4 Bases have complete contact, then that's 32 Weld Points, total.  That reinforces the Truck Door's Durability.

I assume much like armor on the Cabin reinforces Cabin Health, but I don't really understand that system completely.

Edited by psiberzerker

11 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

Let's say a Truck Door.  That's 4x8 on the back.  So, if you put 2 Gun Mounts behind it, so that both 4x4 Bases have complete contact, then that's 32 Weld Points, total.  That reinforces the Truck Door's Durability.

I assume much like armor on the Cabin reinforces Cabin Health, but I don't really understand that system completely.

truck door has 88 weld points in total.

20-50% means using 18-44 weld points just for it to behave normally.

17 or less: penalty, your massive part is now weaker than it could be, and blast damage to it will result in more damage to parts near it.

45 or more: bonus, your massive part is connected firmly and contributing to the rigidity of your armor

Edited by forc3dinduction

6 minutes ago, forc3dinduction said:

truck door has 88 weld points in total.

Right, but I'm just counting the ones on the back.  Both for simplicity, and also to expose it to Direct Damage.  Penetration, and Blast Damage is a whole nother can of worms, which would seriously complicate this discussion, so let's assume something like a machine-gun, or shotgun so we know how much damage we're talking about.

Using Layered Armor as a reinforced Plate, with shoot-through structures behind it.  That means just using the Weld Points behind it.

blast damage works pretty basic.

once its damage is used up or max blast radius is reached, it stops. 

making weakly attacked parts less durable will make them and parts near it more vulnerable to blast damage.

hitscan weps are easy and will simply benefit directly.

and your large truck door most likely will also have some neighbor parts on its sides or the bottom, exceeding the 50% weld points used.

23 minutes ago, forc3dinduction said:

and your large truck door most likely will also have some neighbor parts on its sides or the bottom, exceeding the 50% weld points used.

True, I just wanted to simplify the equation, so I went with a bare-minimum of Parts.  Say i did such a structure, with 2 Gun Mounts, and 1 Truck Door, 32 total Weld Points to cover the side of say a Quantum Cab.

How much stronger would the reinforced Truck Door be than say the same part hanging off the end of a Small Buggy Floor (2 weld points)?

Just trying to get a line on the Scaling here.  Then we can start theorycrafting more reinforcement, as needed.  I get the concept, but the numbers are still pretty hard to illustrate.

Edited by psiberzerker

Still no official word on this one eh? Lame...

• Upvote 1

Bump @Woodyrojo @Beta_Angel Tons of likes and ideas thrown in that thread over a very short period of time. Some word about it would be nice.

From where I stand it just makes building more intuitive and logical, and I can't see how that would be bad for the game. Visual feedback is a very important part of a game, yet in XO the ships that look the flimsiest and crappiest are actually the toughest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2020 at 7:06 PM, PlagueBro said:

This shouldn't be too hard to program.

Right?

Right?

It wouldn't be that hard, it's a xxxxxng stupid idea through.

• Confused 3

On 12/15/2019 at 12:05 AM, forc3dinduction said:

since devs officially would like the builds to resemble cars, many structure parts have been made with limited weld points and certain shapes to limit their use to certain parts of a car (for example fenders, bumpers etc to shape the outside of the build).

Man, i wish there really was more vehicles looking like they might be really somehow possible in reality.

In some Mr.G vid i heard a cool thing, he mentioned "Driver visibility" and thats a nice little demand. Building so that atleast windshield is visible, even just a bit, so that driver really could sew something. Not to mention front side windows...sure, there could be ehhaust pipes or similar pipe/mesh/windowed stuff but still, driver could see something.

But its so heavily always, it seems, all about endless ps and other stats chat, more than keepin it real-ish.

Luckily we can still build them the way we want but i sure would like to see visually pleasing more realistic structure parts like grilles with good proportions when compared with cavs / wheels, and so on.

About welding points i can say that yeah, i could use more, mostly in cab roofs and in example in that hot rod trunk piece. Throw away its lid, and put a bit deep trunk in it, with some flat space for guy to yank a small cooler or gun mount bits in it. 

In trade for more roof spots ,the door spots could be taken off, and this would maybe mean more car looking cars in the game.