Comrade_Tiki

Weighted average max speed from movement parts

What a word sandwich there (I had a rought night), so let me see if I understand: you want lighter movement parts to give a boost to the speed capped parts (a.k.a. tracks, augers and even legs)?

If so, you have my upvote. I'm tired of having my wheel affect my track speed when reversing or my multi-tracked build being stuck with the Goliath's sluggishness :006j:

5 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

you want lighter faster movement parts to give a boost to the speed capped parts (a.k.a. tracks, augers and even legs)?

Yes, essentially. Instead of slow movement parts having a hard-cap, they have a soft-cap.
If you use big, heavy tracks, then a light wheel will have very little effect on your movement speeds.

Here's a simpler example of this weighted average:

• If you install 2000 kg of 70 km/h parts + 2000 kg of 90 km/h parts, then your vehicle is limited to 80 km/h.
    (This is equal to 4 Hardened tracks + about 11 Small tracks)
  • Like 1

Instead of weight I think that the power multiplier seem a better way to make the calculations. Makes more sense too : The more power a wheel uses the most it contributes to speed.

We would get (with Armoreted tracks using each 0.5 power and APC wheels using 0.15):

• Forward speed, originally 50 km/h:
    • [(2 Armored tracks * 1.0 * 50 km/h) + (2 APC wheels * 0.3 * 90 km/h)] / (1.3) = 59.23 km/h
  • Reverse speed, originally 27 km/h:
    • [(2 Armored tracks * 1.0 * 50 km/h) + (2 APC wheels * 0.3 * 90 km/h * 30% in reverse)] / (1.3) = 44.69 km/h

Anyway I like the idea. I think though that the wheels 30% limite backward is a very odd one in the first place. Wheels don't really need that kind of handicap.

• Like 2

Between this and the welding points resistence idea, this game would improve 200% imho.

• Like 1

This idea is great. Basing the weighting on tonnage makes sense because that's where the vehicle's engine power is going, so the final result is more proportionally representative. But weight seems fair, too.

The issue is with mixing strafing and non-strafing parts. Are the non-strafing parts counted as 0 km/h, or disregarded from the calculation?

FWIW, using 4 ML 200 legs and 4 Icarus hovers on a Steppe Spider yields a 56.5km/h top speed, almost the same as the top speed of the cabin itself. I'm not sure if taht could be a problem.

Other than that, I think the idea is pretty solid.

Bump and +1. Great idea. Along with the welding strength suggestion, it'd really make crafting more intuitive and logical.

No.

Because then everyone will use track shields. Or Grinder shields. Or whatever.

Yes, it punishes half-tracks. And HONEST diversity. But it's also pretty simple. Crossout is, like it or not, kind of simple in terms of its data and number crunching. They don't even show us the numbers. If you have to bust out spreadsheets to figure out your speed, that's too much.

Also, I'm kind of against...jeez, I forget the term for it. Brainfart. Taking only the highest benefits of everything. It's a game term. Anyway, if you add wheels, you lose power. Adding stuff like hovers, ML Legs, tracks (as armor), big foots (for distance perk), can really help a car. But the downside is you keep draining power and suffer max speed limits. If there is no downside, you can, and will, have flying hover tanks that are actually really agile and fast and whose hovers are encased in tracks. You can add a ton of spiked wheels to your hover and bypass the speed limitation. Or do the same with grinders or goliaths. The small wheels will be floating in the air but will magically make you go (much) faster.

You CAN combine wacky wheels. I do it. Lots of ppl do. Legs + rear hovers. Legs + tracks. Grinders + Wheels. Tracks + Tracks + Tracks. If nothing else, it gives you tonnage. And you can add a Golden Eagle and get +10 kmh, which is huge. But the idea that 2 heavy tracks + 2 armored tracks has a higher top speed (but less power) than just 2 armored tracks is odd. You could stick on light tracks or ANY faster wheels just to give you a speed boost. People already complain about goliaths/ML Legs/hovers and this will make them better because you happen to have some regular wheels that may or may not even touch the ground. I don't see that as helping the game and it feels kind of like rule abuse.

• Upvote 2

As with any new idea, there is potential for abuse, and Duke brings up a good point.

Adding wheels and/or small tracks to hovers would boost their top forward (and backward, with tracks) top speeds, but at the penalty of strafing, if non-strafing parts are considered to have strafe speeds of 0.

Grinders + Goliath would have a similar issue.

Hovers are the fastest strafing mobility part, so they have no way of using this system to boost their strafe speed.

Legs using hovers would certainly boost spider builds (especially with steppe spider), but legs are so much larger that they would outweigh the hovers unless there were a lot of them

The main benefactors, I predict, would be tracked and half-tracked vehicles. For tracked vehicles, a couple heavy tracks can be offset by some smaller ones, so a vehicle isn't just anchored to the slowest one, and smaller tracks' top speeds aren't wasted.

So, to prevent the possibility of abuse you raised awareness of, non-strafing parts would need to be treated as if they had strafe speeds of 0. A hover with track-armor would have half their mobility directions severely compromised.