Bobbill12345

Rangefinder Module

If you need a rangefinder module for weapons with drop they are probably not your type of weapon :facepalm:

Edited by Beni_Stingray1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

On 12/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, Bobbill12345 said:

So one interesting concept would be a module that, when you activate it takes 2 seconds and finds the exact distance to where your mouse is pointing. You should also make the cannon crosshair notches accurate so you can use the notches and compensate for bullet drop exactly with the range you got 

Another possible idea is to make scope have that range finding perk, and then as I said make the notches on the crosshairs fit the bullet drop, so you can accurately aim at a distance

This would really help turret weapons like mammoths work more effectively in combat, because right now it is hard to aim them past medium range, but with a rangefinder it will be much easier and should make turret cannons much more balanced compared to fixed angle cannons.

That would be mostly useless for most weapons but extremely useful for retchers, it would actually maybe make them a weapon worth of more mainstream play.

Edited by Skyshadow1

29 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

First of all, ITS NOT AN AUTO-AIM MODULE, JESUS. All it does is tells you the range, you still have to adjust for the range 

You specifically said: "..Another possible idea is to make scope have that range finding perk, and then as I said make the notches on the crosshairs fit the bullet drop, so you can accurately aim at a distance"

If the notches don't already fit, how would it be done if not automatically?

On 12/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, Bobbill12345 said:

So one interesting concept would be a module that, when you activate it takes 2 seconds and finds the exact distance to where your mouse is pointing. You should also make the cannon crosshair notches accurate so you can use the notches and compensate for bullet drop exactly with the range you got 

Another possible idea is to make scope have that range finding perk, and then as I said make the notches on the crosshairs fit the bullet drop, so you can accurately aim at a distance

This would really help turret weapons like mammoths work more effectively in combat, because right now it is hard to aim them past medium range, but with a rangefinder it will be much easier and should make turret cannons much more balanced compared to fixed angle cannons.

That sounds more like a legendary scope or an alternative to Neutrino that gives you a graduated view along with some readings and sheet:

burriselim02.jpg + Vortex_ret_dbk-tactical_4-12x40_VMR-1_mo

• Like 1

It's the same reason barely any cannon user has a scope, if you really intend to use cannons, you learn to get better with them rather than relying on stuff to aim over the relatively short ranges that battles take place in Crossout.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, HoboWithARailgun said:

It's the same reason barely any cannon user has a scope, if you really intend to use cannons, you learn to get better with them rather than relying on stuff to aim over the relatively short ranges that battles take place in Crossout.

In that case, let's study the possiblity of this "module" giving you an aim like the Mandrake when its activated. Something like if you use its binding key, aiming is automatically made with the module instead.

Essentially, it would give you the aim of the horizontal mandrake:

That would be one module worth the energy cost IMO.

Edited by lucashc90

Seems really pointless. A rangefinder wouldn't make a turret cannon a long range weapon. Just add a gun camera to the game that zooms by 50% from your guns perspective and tells you the range to a target. Would be a nice QoL addition. 

16 minutes ago, Renamed71622 said:

A rangefinder wouldn't make a turret cannon a long range weapon. Just add a gun camera to the game that zooms by 50% from your guns perspective and tells you the range to a target.

Uhm, you just described a Rangefinder.  Also, it would be fixed, just like your cannons.  At least the design I'm thinking about, there are several, but it's much easier to get Parallax from 2 different sensors, a known distance apart by triangulation.  (Laser range finders use signal return, like Radar.)  In fact, you could just do it with Radar, or guestimate from your relative positions on the map, but it would be a guestimate.

37 minutes ago, Renamed71622 said:

Seems really pointless.

Not if it shifts your aim to the Mandrake vision as I said earlier.

15 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

That would be useful for Grenade Launchers, and that's about it.  Incinerator already has an Artillery Site, and none of the Cannons have enough of a trajectory for Indirect Fire.

Still, and Artillery Sight would be nice, as well as more lobber type weapons.  I just don;t see them as critical, when both the Howitzer, and the Catapult already come with that standard, and the Grenade launchers aren't really all that viable.  Not because of their Indirect Fire capability, Retcher works fine for light bombardment, but because of their fagility.

4 hours ago, HoboWithARailgun said:

Turret cannons have the advantage of being able to be put on heavily armoured vehicles as they don't rely on the maneuverability of the vehicle in order to aim, but fixed cannons do, it's a design trade-off, as it would be in any form of engineering. Thus they have the advantage in a short to medium range brawl. Plus turret cannons have the advantage of being able to drop shells behind hills, something you can't do at any range

To be fair, the advantages of turreted cannons are more theoretical than practical in Crossout.

Most movement options allow fixed cannons to be aimed at most enemies... in fact if you cant catch a target with vehicle movement you are quite unlikely to catch it with turret rotation as turret rotation is usually rather slow. To add insult to injury, you have significant accuracy penalities while doing so. Meanwhile my executioner tank destroyer can aim at an enemy out of a moving maneuver and maintain sufficient accuracy to be a threat at even midrange.

The main advantage of turreted weapons is that you can still defend yourself when you get flank rammed.... a limited arc vehicle is completly helpless. Still.... thinks like a Harvester making love to you arent that much differerent in the outcome... if you are lucky you will manage a single broadside which he will casually shrug off before you die.

Another advantage is of course than you are more likely to be capable of aim when your movement is disabled.

Still, overall fixed cannons/and other weapons often seem an overall superior choice. The higher weapon durability of rotating turrets - at least for cannons - is often offset by being far more exposed.

My executioners may be more fragile than your Fatmans.. but I can hide them much better. So they can reload in peace while you... discuss.... with my 1600 HP of track. In the idea case, the only thing you will ever see from my gun is its gaping muzzle about to spit fire and destruction.

3 hours ago, HoboWithARailgun said:

Actually I would argue that almost nobody (not only cannon users) using a scope is directly related to the fact that a scope is quite difficult to work with under combat conditions.

• Due to basic operating principle, it has to be exposed at least partially. You risk loosing a 1 energy module at the first stray shot. Other 1 energy modules offer often superior abilities and can be hidden deep inside your build out of harms way.
  • Scopes are ludicrous fragile.... I went out of my way and build a 2000 kg 1000 PS "cage" for my scope but the only result is that you dont loose it in the first but in the third hit at the latest. This weight and PS meanwhile mean you face harder enemies so the outcome is even negative overall. Ohh... and an unlucky hit can splash through all that armor and instagib the scope even if it is surrounded by more armor than most generators.
  • Scopes can only be reasonable hidden/protected in those spaced armor abonimations. Using a scope on a "tank" as the german name for the rare scope even indicates.... you will have a bad bad time.
  • Scopes are huge compared to real life.... scopes should be much smaller and maybe integrated into structural parts like door textures are integrated into a lot of steppenwolve parts.
  • Long range combat in this game rarely favours classic snipers.

- Lets see, you aim into the general direction of the enemy - often with vehicle movement

- then you enter scoped view

- aim in more detail, considering all ballistics and a moving target.

- Finally can fire the shot and hope that the target does not evade which is still quite possible

Or you use a hurricane:

- Only needs zero energy radar
    - requires a single fraction of a second of lock to be fired at even extreme range
    - tracks the target automatically

Sniping with cannons using a scope just isnt worth it most of the times. I wish it was... but it isnt.

And finally... you are right... average combat ranges in Crossout tend to be rather short... short enough to hit stuff even without a scope.

We need a low profile armored scope with proper zoom (smooth zoom instead of just 2 lousy zoom levels

13 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

Can you back up a single thing you say?

He can: 

19 hours ago, Xbox_M_420 said:

I'm a c*nt

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

If you need a rangefinder module for weapons with drop they are probably not your type of weapon :facepalm:

You are still not getting it, the point of the module is that it tells you the range and you can use that to figure out how much to raise the gun, it’s not just instantly gonna tell you oh look just aim up here and you’ll hit them, jeez you guys are stupid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lucashc90 said:

Mandrake can use this aim effectively because it obliterates everything in the general direction. Just make the rangefinder/visor scope default features that dont drain energy. The guns in this game are all robotically controlled with hydraulics, servos, and motors, yet we don't have the ability to look from a camera mounted on the gun. smh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

I mean it is tho really, you have notches on the site, learn them you lazy f*ck like the rest of us

What does that have to do with a rangefinder?

Edited by Bobbill12345

I wouldnt really care if they integrate it to the 2 scopes we have but i honestly think it wouldnt help the people who think they need it.

15 hours ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

learn them you lazy f*ck like the rest of us

True, i look where my enemy is and i know/feel how much i need to raise my weapon, if you need to think about it youre already too late. Even more so if you need to see the enemy, then get your crosshair over it to know the exact distance, then think how much you need to raise your weapon for that distance, raise your weapon and shoot then. Until then your enemy is long gone lol.

21 minutes ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

If you need to see the enemy, then get your crosshair over it to know the exact distance...

Of course.  It can't find the Range unless it knows exactly what you're ranging on.

16 minutes ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

If it takes you 1 missed shot to gauge where your shot is landing then so be it.

Here's where we get into different playstyles, and that Missed Shot tells the target where you are.  To take Evasive Action, and so forth.  So, now you know the range to a Moving target, that you have to lead, reload before they reach cover, and maneuver so they don't get a good shot back at you...

This rangefinder is for players that want it, for their playstyle.  It would cost at least 1 Energy, so it may mean a choice between that, and a Neutrino, or Chameleon.  (Assuming a 3 Cannon build, and Apollo, or Icebox is incompatible, because you'd still only have 15 Energy for 3 Cannon.)  

I don't need it, because I'm medium range Run&Gun, but I'm not a tryhard that resents, and opposes anything that might make other player's games more enjoyable.  I play Crossout to build cars, and post on these forums to discuss game mechanics.

I don't do either to attack people.  For any reason.

Edited by psiberzerker

8 minutes ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

That's literally my play style.. But i don't miss much because I've learnt the distances.

Therefore you never miss, right?

No one needs it, people want it due to laziness or incompetence.

People want it, because they want it.  I think it would be neat, and look neat, the way I imagine it.  (The passive Parallax variety.)  People don't "Need" video games, controllers, Scopes of any kind, nor abuse from tryhards that actually care what other players want.

I really don't care how harsh that sounds but someone's gotta say it you know.

Why?  In all your experience, has that ever worked?  Some scrub all of a sudden realized, "You know what?  He's right, I'm a total scrub, and suck.  I should go kill myself right now."

No, you don't need to say it, it has 0 effect, except to make you feel better about yourself.

I play for the enjoyment of a game not yet completely ruined by the many factors of complacency, greed and laziness that plagues our gaming industry.

LOL, perceived laziness is enough to ruin a game like this?  You can't enjoy it, if you don't think that other players are't trying as hard as you?

I don't think you'll ever realize how petty, and spiteful that sounds, but I have to say how hard that makes me laugh.

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Like 1

I don't need a Neutrino, because I can look at a build, and figure out exactly where they put their Cabin.  (Pretty much the only place it will fit.)

You don't see me claiming that Neutrino has to be taken away, so players can't use it to decide exactly where they have to aim their Executioners to 1-shot my Generator.  That's what makes it a Good Fight, but while they're Scoped in, that gives someone an opportunity to flank around.

Because nobody in this game ever heard of a Sniper/Spotter team.  

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

No one needs it, people want it due to laziness or incompetence. If you're trash then you'll remain trash, no participation garbage please, if you want to play, and you're bad.. then you will play bad or learn otherwise, I really don't care how harsh that sounds but someone's gotta say it you know.

Thats exactly the problem. Just look at all the grenadier drones, no skill necessary to be very effective, its easy yet still leads them to more wins, thats why people use it. Same for all the flamers and harvester builds before they got nerfed.

I dont need a rangefinder and most of my first shots hit even if the target moves and on different distances. Its about feel where to shoot and not having to think about it, muscle memory also plays a big part of that. Thats the reason i mostly play just one build for some time and then switch to another main for some time. I need 1 or 2 days to completly get the feel and muscle memory back to where i dont have to think about it.

13 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

People want it, because they want it.

See my first sentence. Just because people want it doesnt mean its good for the game, the community or the skill ceilling.

Edited by Beni_Stingray1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

Just look at all the grenadier drones, no skill necessary to be very effective, its easy yet still leads them to more wins, that's why people use it.

They're also extremely easy to exploit, if that's all they have with them.  They have a long reload period, during which they're defenseless.  You don't even have to kill them, just wait for them to time out, and move into a position where you can kill the Mother ship.

That's a SKILL you can use to beat players you claim have none.  I learned it before the Death Machine pack even came out on Sidekick, Cobra, and Falcon Drones.  Honestly, it's less effective on Fuse Drones.

Edited by psiberzerker

12 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

They're also extremely easy to exploit, if that's all they have with them.  They have a long reload period, during which they're defenseless.  You don't even have to kill them, just wait for them to time out, and move into a position where you can kill the Mother ship.

That's a SKILL you can use to beat players you claim have none.  I learned it before the Death Machine pack even came out on Sidekick, Cobra, and Falcon Drones.  Honestly, it's less effective on Fuse Drones.

LAE.thumb.png.acc5423e94e4f3034eceae7388

1 minute ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

I care about the game experience more than I care about myself, i'm happier to LEARN how to be good, then be good with the knowledge than have it handed to me.

You sure seem to care about other players, and giving them a hard time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

LAE.thumb.png.acc5423e94e4f3034eceae7388

Your point about Rangefinders?

Just because you had a point, and I didn't acknowledge it doesn't say anything about My points.  If you're better than drone players (Who don't need a Rangefinder) then beat them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xbox_M_422 said:

If you were doing something wrong would you prefer to be told so, or left to do things incorrectly 

"Ur doin it wrong!"