lucashc90

New Project - Volkswagen SP2

Heya folks. I'm doing a different post from my usual ones: this is about a real life project that I've been cooking on the side and I'm going to update it here because I don't have a fricking blog and nobody actually cares about me anywhere beyond the Crossout forums, so here things begin!

This is a VW SP2, an all Brazilian "sport" car from the 70s that failed miserably because its engine was too weak to justify its price:

volkswagen-sp2.jpg

Many call it "The Brazilian Porsche" here and it has the same dimensions of a Ford GT40 (just with smaller wheels and a higher ground clearance... OH! And a VW flat 4 engine that was originally from the Volkswagen 1600, a Brazillian variantion of the german Typ 3).

I first saw that car at an antique car show back in 2005 and I instantly fell in love (specially because I grew around old VW like the "Variant" 1600 and Typ 102 "Brasilia" and never ever knew such a crazy "spin off" existed).

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Around late September, just for the heck of it, I typed that car's name out of nowhere in the MercadoLivre's search engine and this came up:

1ED1ih7.png

It was rusted and cost about US$3.600. Someone tried to restore it but gave up somewhere in the middle and left it to rust and the new owner polished it and covered it in a lead oxide primer (red lead) to stop its rusting process. The car lacked engine, side windows, steering system and many other parts. Overall, perfect for a crazy project!

The garage announcing it was 600km (373 miles) away from where I live, so, on the 15th of October I took a bus and went there to take a look on it myself:

10521298_332073826972502_544171546345453

12993321_561675670678982_546681123380545

Its a family run business and after they kindly invited me to have lunch with them and talked a bunch about our lives, we closed the deal!

They took me around the city afterwards and after some more talk we searched for a hauling company that would take the car back to where I live. Everything settled we said our goodbyes and I went to see the new Joker movie until the the bus that would take me back home came.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Three days later (and a lot of painkillers because of the bus ride back and forth), this like little guy arrived at my doorstep (at night):

wexfHA8.jpg

(and yes, my cellphone camera is an actual potato)

Now, let's take a closer look on it shall we?

zoV3QlS.jpg

(behind the seats)

TmtDABN.jpg

(A pillar)

2mTpd9E.jpg

(engine bay)

jSJ1jUR.jpg

(rear)

9nr28ks.jpg

(front)

S5VbYrS.jpg

(oddly enough, the frame is in mint condition)

The frame is the most important part because here in Brazil its identification number is what dictates if the vehicle is elegible for road use or not. Which means that if the chassis is fricked the vehicle can't be saved because its number is gone forever and you might never be able to make it road legal again. Theorically you CAN make a new number, but the car will be forever classified as a "prototype without any brand name"... that is IF you can get around all the legal battle behind that.

This car's documentation and chassis (despite all else kinda went to hell) was intact.

And thus began my search for the right guy to rebuild this car's body to my liking.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 4

This dude is the legend behind all SP2 restorations in my state: https://www.facebook.com/humberto.manfredo?__tn__=%2CdlC-R-R&eid=ARDTnn5pK8hCZNK3YJhxeo3H6BwZCHn0xYb4a1FfR4KiiWAz9ujC2w_lfi6rozMei-mYUeX0tekeWS8f&hc_ref=ARQjtRhqHTnoH-S34lEJFwtb5qhQXRHq2vcCZPtu4JUCJrGoDZ8njAZ0h69BTeFYuwg

Some of his works:

HKrZhpV.jpgbmRagvW.jpgtTt8fxP.jpg8YlZrwK.jpgG9BIvgT.jpgEgj2zEs.jpgzObgc7F.jpgT6E1Brs.jpgpTFOOAT.jpg

For the next 6 months he will be the one in charge of remaking my SP2's body (sorry guys, wish I could make this a DIY projetc, but I don't have the experience nor the tools for that).

I WILL KEEP UPDATING THIS AS THE PROJECT MOVES ON

20/01/2020

31/01/2020

12/04/2020

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 3

holy **** dude that's a lot of rust rot. i wish you luck, it's a beautiful car and will be even better when it's done :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

That's really cool.  Good luck!

Thanks, I will need all the good wishes I can have :lol:

7 hours ago, ZKWS said:

holy **** dude that's a lot of rust rot. i wish you luck, it's a beautiful car and will be even better when it's done :)

YUP! At this point its body might be practically remade (I might even buy another one in a better condition if the bodywork guy thinks it will be safer). I also plan on reinforcing it with an integrated rollcage to make it more rigid (I don't plan to put a mere air-cooled flat 4 in it and I am currently looking for a WRX STI to be the donor of a new heart for this fallen beauty).

ALSO: in Brazil we can't build our own suspension because it needs to conform with a lot of regulations and your average Joe almost never get them approved by the regulatory agencies, so I had to reach out to a brand that has been building custom suspensions for competition VW Beetles for over a decade:

suspenso-traseira-duplo-a-vw-fusca-imohr

https://imohr.com.br/pt_BR / https://imohr.com.br/en/

suspenso-duplo-a-dianteira-vw-fusca-mode

Let's see how this goes.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 4

Germany here... 

This is a stunning project. 

I would love to see the full story on pictures. 

Absolutely amazing ride. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ZKWS said:

holy **** dude that's a lot of rust rot.

Haha that was my exact same thought! :lol: Thats really a lot of rust and its distributed a little bit everywhere, thats going to be a lot of (patch)work!

How rare are they to find? A new body would probably be cheaper not? Dont know what your mechanics charges per hour but thats going to be a lot of manhours to restore the original body!

But man awesome project, love the supsension kit you have there, completly adjustable wheel geometry and it looks beautifull.

Guess you go for a Subaru engine because its also a boxer but be carefull with these engines. If you keep it stock their mostly ok but when you try to make power with them they start to get problems with the heads really fast, keep that in mind and do your research!

And keep us updated!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

How rare are they to find? A new body would probably be cheaper not?

The only thing that can't be rusted away is the identification number on the chassis. There were about 10k ever made and there are probably less than 6k still around, but as long as Humberto keeps making body panels we can happily keep their numbers sorta steady. And yes, I'm in touch with a guy that I might 'trade" my body (the car's) for his since its in a better shape (and I don't want to have a twin turbo 2.5 engine in a car which the A and B pillars had to be patched). Let's see how this transaction turns out.

22 minutes ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

Guess you go for a Subaru engine because its also a boxer but be carefull with these engines. If you keep it stock their mostly ok but when you try to make power with them they start to get problems with the heads really fast, keep that in mind and do your research!

Yes! The engine bay is not tall at all and I can squeeze the subaru's engine with its turbo in there and I might try to place the radiator and oil coolers where the front spare tire sits in an effort to hide it.

02+Estepe+do+VW+SP2.jpgG9BIvgT.jpg

Maybe I have a Porsche's aproach to how things can be packed up front:

borg.jpgf231cc10b8424049c7ada634287a3fc1.jpg

I also made contact with a performance center specialized in dealing with Subaru parts and tuning them for racing in the hopes I get some tips about how to reliably maintain that new engine this car will get (those guys race with a "bug eyed" 2.5 600hp AWD Subaru, so I think they know what they are doing).

DSC00628.JPG

There is also plenty of room behind the seats where I can put stuff if I need it, specially the spare tire.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dumpbump said:

Germany here... 

This is a stunning project. 

I would love to see the full story on pictures. 

Absolutely amazing ride. 

I'm trying to blurry the line between the SP2 and the Porsche 911 Turbo from 1974. Let's see how this goes :014:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucashc90 said:

I'm trying to blurry the line between the SP2 and the Porsche 911 Turbo from 1974. Let's see how this goes :014:

meeeeooooowwwwwww

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

But man awesome project, love the supsension kit you have there, completly adjustable wheel geometry and it looks beautifull.

In my documantation, it states that the car's original color was white and all models had this black rubber lines and reflective red panels all around that I think will fit very well with the suspension:

Volkswagen-SP2-1.jpg

Edited by lucashc90
  • Upvote 1

I'm still deciding which side mirror would look/function better :lol:

apliq-cr-retrov-gol-g6-fox-10-c-furo-ld-120869.jpg

VW Gol mk6 / Porsche 356

I'm worried that if I'm going past 140km/h (87mph) the classic looking one will keep tilting from the wind.

Like in this video above (basically same engine and power output I want to achieve)

I'm very much biased towards the retro one. Any good modern side mirror that you guys know that looks good and functional? (just shooting the breeze here)

Edited by lucashc90

Re: Side Mirrors.  I really like the old Rabbit GTI ones

9680745d1a0baa84d43634d19fb13398406b83ce

But I used to have one of those (With a Corrodo supercharged VR6 in it) as my personal "Sleeper."  Took the GTI badge off it, too.

8)

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Upvote 1

What paintjob/Coloor? 

Since iam 18 years old, all my vehicles are Matt black

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The_shame_wizard said:

You my friend have taught me about a new car.

Corrado?

Good luck finding one, in drivable condition,  I got my motor/transaxel out of one that rolled over, and wrapped the roof around a sign post.

Edited by psiberzerker

1 hour ago, psiberzerker said:

Rabbit GTI

They were also sold as the Golf Mk2 and they are pretty rare here. Its a cool car, always loved the Golfs.

golf-mk3-1,3.jpg

There were a version of the SP2 remade by a tunning company back in the 70s called Dacon and it had those squared side mirrors, but personaly I don't think they look as good in a rounded car.

SP2+Dacon5.jpg81dd2219d3b902a473c338cd5587d288.jpg

10 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

They were also sold as the Golf Mk2 and they are pretty rare here.

Where?  The Rabbit GTI, and Golf Mk II are similar, but not the same car.  Very similar bodywork, and front suspension/steering geometry, but if I remember right, the engines, and especially intake/exhaust where where it counted. 

There was some overlap between the Rabbit GTI, and Golf GTI.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

The Rabbit GTI, and Golf Mk II are similar, but not the same car. 

Interesting. I still want to own one though, doesn't mater which one, and now that I had a better look at it it looks more like the MkI than the MkII.

1 hour ago, The_shame_wizard said:

You my friend have taught me about a new car and may i say what a fantastic choice to pursue ,it looks stunning ,keep up the blog please 

Thanks and I will give you another curiosity about it: there was a single SP3 prototype back in the day before VW pulled the plug on the SP series.

sp3.jpg

It had the front grill of the Volkswagen Passat B1 with a 1.8 litre EA827 engine (called AP in Brazil, and yes, it was still rear mounted), which means it would be water cooled with a frontal radiator. In the end me wanting to get a water cooled engine in a SP2 is not that far fetched (although I will not put those front grills in mine).

Edited by lucashc90

Germany here again... How much Golf MK2 do you need? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dumpbump said:

Germany here again... How much Golf MK2 do you need? 

All of it...? (and if its not for free, at least wait for when this project is done because my poor wallet can't take it anymore).

Edited by lucashc90
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dumpbump said:

Germany here again...

You might actually be able to get that Corrado there, in drivable condition.  (What with the Rheiheitsgebotten.)

Well, it turns out to be Machinegun (And Combat Laser) day, so if you'll excuse me, I've got fuel to burn...

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Haha 2