lucashc90

New Project - Volkswagen SP2

Recommended Posts

And for disgusting overturned cars and tuning and engine costumizing.. People from Scandinavian are freakin brutal. 

 

 

I do it like the movie beetlegeuse 

 

Jomar_SL 

Jomar_SL 

Jomar_SL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 10:25 PM, Dumpbump said:

FEHLER IN ALLEN TEILEN (ERROR IN ALL PARTS)

We say that FIAT stands for "Fabrica Italiana Atrapalhando o Trânsito" (Italian factory disturbing the traffic flow).

Even if the hatred for Fiat seems to be multicultural, I would still love me some Fiat 500.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 7:48 AM, lucashc90 said:

At this point its body might be practically remade (I might even buy another one in a better condition if the bodywork guy thinks it will be safer).

I settled with this graphic designer guy from São Paulo: I will exchange his SP2 body for mine (with a reasonable price to compensate for the rust king mine has become) and it will be delivered to Humberto (the bodywork guy from Guarulhos) to begin the work asap. Humberto told me that his body is in way better condition than mine so a full restoration might not take much more than 45 days and he will keep me updated thought the welding phase (so maybe pictures are in order soon).

On 1/20/2020 at 11:56 PM, lucashc90 said:

For the next 6 months he will be the one in charge of remaking my SP2's body (sorry guys, wish I could make this a DIY projetc, but I don't have the experience nor the tools for that).

Making that prediction a LOT shorter.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:48 AM, lucashc90 said:

I also plan on reinforcing it with an integrated rollcage to make it more rigid

Talked yesterday with a tuning shop where I live and they are very interested on working in my car. We talked about an inegrated rollcage, an engine bay remake, front cooling system and many many more details about the project and the boss man there considered it very doable. They also told me that they are working on a Beetle and always fancied the iMohr suspension for it, so it will serve as a first hand experience with the system for them. EVERYONE WINS!

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a side mirror that I liked even more and I think it might fit with very little trouble (since its fixed on the door and not the glass area like modern cars):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWbSWkjx-llYTj6gtXv1j its from the Golf Mk7, what do you think?

Another question: does anyone of you already heard of/used expanding foam to seal off hollow car parts? I heard its not just a great insulator against noise and moisture but also that it makes the car's body more rigid and more impact absorbing. Never read too much in it and its probably my fault for not knowing how to better search about it but it sounds pretty enticing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed out on the topic for a while, hope all is going well.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:38 PM, lucashc90 said:

Another question: does anyone of you already heard of/used expanding foam to seal off hollow car parts? I heard its not just a great insulator against noise and moisture but also that it makes the car's body more rigid and more impact absorbing. Never read too much in it and its probably my fault for not knowing how to better search about it but it sounds pretty enticing.

It is used as a cheap fix for old and rotten cars people want to last just a little longer mostly as far as I've heard. But it also works great for noise reduction. Since you want to have the car as a keeper and want to fill the hollow parts up, only do it after you have all the welding and painting done properly. Otherwise every time someone would have to do some welding on it, there will be a risk that the foam will catch fire and the car could burn from the inside and generally the foam is really time consuming to scrape out of the inside too in case you need to do some welding later.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 9:38 AM, lucashc90 said:

Does anyone of you already heard of/used expanding foam to seal off hollow car parts? I heard its not just a great insulator against noise and moisture but also that it makes the car's body more rigid and more impact absorbing. 

Yeah, PU (Polyurethane) or A+B foam, because it's binary.  It's pretty easy to mix, but keep in mind:  It keeps expanding, and it can get everywhere.  You can sand it down once it cures, though, and it's pretty light.  I'd suggest removing the panels, masking, and backfilling, rather than trying to fill them while in the car.  

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _Lemmy44_ said:

there will be a risk that the foam will catch fire and the car could burn from the inside

I... don't think I want to use it anymore since now I'm afraid to become a flaming ball of doom if something goes wrong while I'm driving it...

2 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

I'd suggest removing the panels, masking, and backfilling, rather than trying to fill them while in the car.  

You mean like this?

6950426743_abf3c76f0e_b.jpg

Fill first then place the panels later? I don't think that would work because this VW model, just as with the VW Bus of the same period, has an unibody construction.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bodywork is turning out GREAT! (UPDATED 18/04/2020)

5jQbcxW.jpg => ijSggng.jpg

HfiAtQO.jpg => BtVrYnX.jpg

Dz9IRpv.jpg => qzOceKE.jpg

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is its current body (the one above is a new one that I manage to buy and is currently being rebuild):

JporDWe.jpg

There is 1/2 a centimeter (1/4 of an inch) thick resin covering the hoof and every panel of it has rusted to the point of opening holes here and there. Yikes!

lLQIJ7y.jpg

Although in a slightly better shape, the car's chassi will need a ton of work. Turns out that the gearbox and floor panels are't from a SP2 but from a Brasília (Beetle relative that ressembles the german Typ 3).

I'm not phased though: since my goal is to go custom this just gives me even more freedom to modify it without that odd feeling that "I'm trashing a really rare car".

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lucashc90 said:

 

I'm not phased though: since my goal is to go custom this just gives me even more freedom to modify it without that odd feeling that "I'm trashing a really rare car".

:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 4:02 PM, lucashc90 said:

(UPDATED 18/04/2020)

Spoiler

 

5jQbcxW.jpg => ijSggng.jpg

HfiAtQO.jpg => BtVrYnX.jpg

Dz9IRpv.jpg => qzOceKE.jpg

New photos arrived 2 days ago. The guy is working fast despite being alone in the shop after the COVID hit his region.

Edited by lucashc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is truly an inspiration for all of human kind and the genius that started this astonishing project should be crowned president of universe. 11/10 would sleep with him.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas has come early this year, look what arrived 21/05:

QFruva1.jpg

Edited by lucashc90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GihaTA3.jpg

The front of the Variant

MNuNA6L.jpg

The rear of a Porsche

Its been quite the ride so far and I'm enjoying every mile of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

The rear of a Porsche

I guess from one of the front engine porsches?

And was it worth to go with a "new" body instead of the old rusty one, could you save some time and money?

Edited by Beni_Stingray1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, lucashc90 said:

Fill first then place the panels later? I don't think that would work because this VW model, just as with the VW Bus of the same period, has an unibody construction.

I didn't think of that, but in my defense, I've never seen an SP2.  Then again, I haven't spent that much time in Brazil.

Edited by psiberzerker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

was it worth to go with a "new" body instead of the old rusty one, could you save some time and money?

Metal working in Brazil is not as sophisticated as in the USA (for example) and the few specialized services that have that expertise are far too expensive. When restoring cars here, its common for people to buy broken down bodies to "cannibalize" the metal sheets in good shape. In my case, the body was far too damaged in key structural areas (all columns for example) and was rusted from inside-out in some areas, making some parts paper thin and bendable with little pressure.

2 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

I didn't think of that, but in my defense, I've never seen an SP2.  Then again, I haven't spent that much time in Brazil.

80% of people here haven't even heard of a SP2 since it only consisted of about 10k units manufactured between 1971 and 1976. It was a flop in terms of commercial entrepreneurship because it was marketed as "the first 100% brazilian sportscar ever" despite having a feeble 1700cc engine in a time Porsches were already leaving the factory with flat six engines. Ultimately, not even the engine was the actual death of it but the fact that it was too expensive at the time for the Brazilian market as a 2-seater.

Edited by lucashc90
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

80% of people here haven't even heard of a SP2 since it only consisted of about 10k units manufactured between 1971 and 1976.

I've heard of them, but then again, I'm a bit of a VW/Porsche nerd.  My ex girlfriend had a 928 in High School.  I've just never seen one, let alone gotten elbow deep in the bodywork.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning,

i am  italian living in Saudi Arabia for working reason. I am very interested in your project. i found an SP2 in Saudi Arabia and i totally restored.

This is my story :https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/28/is-this-saudi-arabias-weirdest-collector-car#

Now i would like to swap a Subaru Engine and maybe i can take advantage from your experience. Are you still following this idea?

thanks 

Luigi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, psiberzerker said:

I've heard of them, but then again, I'm a bit of a VW/Porsche nerd.  My ex girlfriend had a 928 in High School.  I've just never seen one, let alone gotten elbow deep in the bodywork.

If you were a VW fanatic I would say its the Typ 3 with the body of a Datsun 240z (the have alsmot the same dimensions).

l9ERt0j.png

The closest Porsche (in design only) is the 924 but it essentialy a VW Beetle with just 100cc more.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, Beni_Stingray1 said:

I guess from one of the front engine porsches?

Yes, the 924 comes to mind but it has some hints of design from the 911 as well.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, Beni_Stingray1 said:

And was it worth to go with a "new" body instead of the old rusty one, could you save some time and money?

Totally was! Here in Brazil we do not have the technology as the USA has, so new panels for the car are basically hand made and almost never up to the orginal's quality. The problem of my car was that both A and B pillars, as with the 4 inner fenders, entire front end and the engine bay had rusted to the point of filling them with holes and porous metal. That level of reconstruction was not worth both in monetary and safety terms. Specially for the 270hp engine I'm aiming to get.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gigio1976 said:

Good morning,

i am  italian living in Saudi Arabia for working reason. I am very interested in your project. i found an SP2 in Saudi Arabia and i totally restored.

This is my story :https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/28/is-this-saudi-arabias-weirdest-collector-car#

Now i would like to swap a Subaru Engine and maybe i can take advantage from your experience. Are you still following this idea?

thanks 

Luigi

Yes, I'm still with that idea in mind, but Subaru engines are difficult to find around here with a reasonable price. What exactely do you want to know?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lucashc90 said:

Yes, I'm still with that idea in mind, but Subaru engines are difficult to find around here with a reasonable price. What exactely do you want to know?

i am lucky because here in saudi Arabia it is very easy to find a Subaru engine. my concern are those:

1 - is this kit suitable for sp2? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kennedy-Subaru-Engine-Adapter-For-VW-Type-1-Bug-and-002-Transmission/283934092543?hash=item421bca6cff:g:kegAAOSwVupTmKHR

2 - if the original transmission is suitable for the increase of power(maybe for 115hp of ej20 it is ok)

3 - the radiator should be on the  front, so is it necessary to cut a piece ot the front body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, gigio1976 said:

i am lucky because here in saudi Arabia it is very easy to find a Subaru engine. my concern are those:

1 - is this kit suitable for sp2? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kennedy-Subaru-Engine-Adapter-For-VW-Type-1-Bug-and-002-Transmission/283934092543?hash=item421bca6cff:g:kegAAOSwVupTmKHR

2 - if the original transmission is suitable for the increase of power(maybe for 115hp of ej20 it is ok)

3 - the radiator should be on the  front, so is it necessary to cut a piece ot the front body?

  1. I dunno about that kit but I've seen people using similar stuff. Here is a video of a similar nature: 
  2. I'm not using the SP2's original gearbox at first. I will try to fit the Subaru's original gearbox by flipping it upside down... when I get one that is.
  3. Yes, the perfect place for the radiator is up front. You can mount it where the spare tire should be, its very spacious there and you should have no problem in sealing off that area from the rest of the trunk. Here are some ideas: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614476 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8406499 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.