Spedemix

Hovers suppress recoil way more when guns are mounted sideways

Error report
Describe problem and what you saw Hovercrafts handle recoil way better when guns are mounted sideways
What you expected to see Identical or close to identical handling of recoil regardless of which way the guns are pointing at
Conditions in which error reproduce 1: Build a hovercraft
2: Put high recoil weapons facing front and shoot with them
3. Observe how the hover suffers heavy recoil
4: Now put the same weapons sideways and shoot with them
5: Observe how the recoil is suddenly almost nonexistent
Problem details I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug or not but i was surprised to see how big of a difference it was, hence I report it.

Added two videos showing the bug; one with 4 hovers and another with 10 hovers. My common sense tells me the 10 hover build ought to have less recoil when the guns are facing forward. That is not the case.

If needed I can rebuild the crafts and provide them as designs if requested.
Frequency of reproduction always
Time of bug  

Video with 4 hovers:

Spoiler

Video with 10 hovers:

Spoiler

2020.01.18 15.36.41.zip

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 4

Thank you for reporting this as a bug.  Maybe now they will actually do something (Instead of just threatening to.)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

How about massively reducing their ability to handle recoil and never flip over, so firing giant cannons like that on a super light build sends them flipping through the air like pretty much any other movement type would.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Crunk_Prime said:

How about massively reducing their ability to handle recoil and never flip over, so firing giant cannons like that on a super light build sends them flipping through the air like pretty much any other movement type would.

Well, all they'd really have to do is turn off the Flip Resistance so they did that with Sideways Hover.   (Or turret cannons staggered, and turned sideways, which nobody does, because they half flip over, then flip back, and that would present a broadside, like a regular facing hover.)

One of the many unwritten perks of sideways hovers is the flip resistance essentially works as recoil control, with fixed cannons.

4 hours ago, fftunes4real said:

The build with larger wheelbase handles recoil better, how surprising...

:014j:

Which is why I repeated the test with 10 hovers.

Front to back axis has 10 hovers while side to side has only two. Also the total coverage of front to back extends further. Yet the side to side recoil suppression higher.

• Upvote 1

I build car with square hover's base,

Spoiler

261bfb70c20f092c3803964c4344.png

Unable to reproduce.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Skula1975 said:

That's nice honey.

Nobody else in this game builds them like that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skula1975 said:

Hide contents

261bfb70c20f092c3803964c4344.png

Unable to reproduce.

@Skula1975

You have to build it long and slim, like Spedemix to reproduce. Not square.

This is not a bug.

Spede's sideway hover has its hover thrust far away from the center of gravity in firing axis, so hover thrusts give more torque than they do in his normal hover.
And more torque, moment of force contributes to hover's stability.

Edited by untinman
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Blasphemon said:

@Skula1975

You have to build it long and slim, like Spedemix to reproduce. Not square.

However, square-design say us, that there are not a hover's bug.

It's a physic.

• Upvote 1

As much as I hate hovers, I'm with Skula on this. The first test is flawed as the distance between the thrusters is much greater sideways than forward, resulting in smaller recoil effect. With the second test, the distances are equal, forming a more or less square base. But when you have the guns facing forward, only the 2 rear hovers can actively "compensate" for the recoil. But when shooting sideways, the craft has 5 hovers to lean against.

So it's not a bug, it's just broken hovers being hovers. Again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, _Lemmy44_ said:

As much as I hate hovers, I'm with Skula on this. The first test is flawed as the distance between the thrusters is much greater sideways than forward, resulting in smaller recoil effect. With the second test, the distances are equal, forming a more or less square base. But when you have the guns facing forward, only the 2 rear hovers can actively "compensate" for the recoil. But when shooting sideways, the craft has 5 hovers to lean against.

So it's not a bug, it's just broken hovers being hovers. Again.

Perfect explanation.

Signing that.