davemakesstuff

New project: Off-road Audi TT

Figured you guys might want to see this even if it's not directly Crossout. I'm turning an Audi TT into an off-roader. No guns on the roof... (yet?) though there is a spare wheel on the rear deck. Plans include a snorkel air intake, suspension lift, a beefy welded steel front bumper and some crazy exhaust pipes.

I've got a handful of videos on my Youtube channel and include one below for your interest and delectation.

https://youtu.be/tvUjef55iA4

IMG_0668.JPG

Edited by davemakesstuff
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Gambler 500 race cars, you seen em ? Plenty of non-offroad cars ,lifted up and so on.

I'll be following your build easily.

You used zink plated sheetmetal for the spare wheel holder and welder without protective gas bottles ? I watched the vid bit quick, sorry so im asking.

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6

:good::good::good::good::good:

But i kinda wonder why you wanna turn an FA into an off-road vehicle.....cant see it properly.......or do you plan to change the transmission to quattro ?

@Siberian_Jay3x6 Yes, I'm using some fairly thick zinc-plated steel. If you're working with it in a confined space then it's best to grind off the zinc, but outdoors it's not too bad. 

@_Riddig_ Fair question and you're on the money with the answer - it's a Quattro already. I've had my share of lifted off-roaders and this is clearly never going to be as capable as a "proper" 4x4, and it won't be as good on road as an unmodified TT. So... I'm doing it for fun really more than any solid technical justification. That, and it's a project my daughter was and is quite into, so an opportunity to teach her some skills :-)

9 hours ago, davemakesstuff said:

@_Riddig_ Fair question and you're on the money with the answer - it's a Quattro already. I've had my share of lifted off-roaders and this is clearly never going to be as capable as a "proper" 4x4, and it won't be as good on road as an unmodified TT. So... I'm doing it for fun really more than any solid technical justification. That, and it's a project my daughter was and is quite into, so an opportunity to teach her some skills :-)

The fact that your daughter is enthusiastic about it alone is sufficient reason for this.
But in my opinion, you don't necessarily need a reason for modifications to the vehicle.

A friend of mine has retrofitted his 2003 VW Beetle with the R32 engine from a VW Golf IV R32 and adapted Audi TT Quattro Sport suspension and transmission.

"Okay after 2h of searching for some pictures of it.....i gave up...":dntknw:

Edited by _Riddig_
  • Like 1

That sounds awesome. If you get chance to ask him for a picture I'd be really interested. 

The story behind this one is that my daughter wanted to learn some skills to help me with another long-term vehicle project I might post up another time, so I said I'd buy a car, we'd break it and sell the parts, and once it had paid me back, the rest of the money was hers. We did that with an old Audi A3 which is on the same platform as the TT, so we got familiar with it. Then the profits from that bought the TT and here we are. So the TT is my ten-year-old daughter's, and when we're done modifying it, she and her sisters can learn to drive off-road somewhere. Then we might sell it and build something else...

3 hours ago, davemakesstuff said:

That sounds awesome. If you get chance to ask him for a picture I'd be really interested. 

The story behind this one is that my daughter wanted to learn some skills to help me with another long-term vehicle project I might post up another time, so I said I'd buy a car, we'd break it and sell the parts, and once it had paid me back, the rest of the money was hers. We did that with an old Audi A3 which is on the same platform as the TT, so we got familiar with it. Then the profits from that bought the TT and here we are. So the TT is my ten-year-old daughter's, and when we're done modifying it, she and her sisters can learn to drive off-road somewhere. Then we might sell it and build something else...

Maybe you have enough space to hold onto it..........i mean ....who has the first car he build with his daughter?

Atm im looking for something "new"......simply cause "our friends" are already throwing eyes on my person.

I hope to get my hands on a 2008 Subaru impreza wrx sti ......but for that i first need to get more money for my work :017::santa:

"But in my opinion, you don't necessarily need a reason for modifications to the vehicle."

Thumbs up for that.

I totally get it, as ive lifted Honda Civics, and othee fwd cars, just for the fun of it, and to make a daily driver more better for in example for hunting trips where roads are less good. And hey, its very Crossout to jack up cars that were not meant to be lifted.

Yes, i know the zinc removal ,ive been welding a lot as my main income, had permits for pressure tank seams etc. Thats why i noticed the plate you were using, as well as the type of welder you use. I do the same stuff, with similar gas-less welders and with zinc,occasionally. 

An interesting thread you have here, im even more interested to hear how your local laws allow such beast to be inspected in legal street driving ?

15 minutes ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

And hey, its very Crossout to jack up cars that were not meant to be lifted.

My amateur "Rally" car was a fox body (The lightest) mustang gutted, and dropped on a Bronco II chassis.  (Both had a 104" wheelbase)  Effectively lifted it enough for 33" tires.  351 Windsor (Lightest block) C6 transmission with a floor shifter, and throttle cable, 1 ton rear axle (With the springs over it, as God intended) locking differential, and a transfer case.

I say "Rally," because it wasn't an official rally.  It was just a bunch of guys fooling around the Lawton area, but it was a lot of fun!

Edited by psiberzerker

6 hours ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

An interesting thread you have here, im even more interested to hear how your local laws allow such beast to be inspected in legal street driving ?

*cough* "legal" *cough*

For my part since i learned car mechanics and electrics and doing this stuff all by myself and actually "hiding" or "cloaking" the modifications im doing fine.

Think my last car was around 70% stronger than what stood in it paper and finally around 500kg lighter..........in my hometown they stopped me some times but kinda "gave it up" after they couldnt proof the modifications.

I sold it at the end because i had to study in another country and was stopped EVERYTIME when i passed the boarder.......after 7 months i was so annoyed by it that i sold it to the second best guy i found.

He ruined the car in 3 weeks ^^.....he is fine....the car ....not so. ^^

Since my workingplace now is only 5km away i dont own a car since.....~3 years.

But to be serious......i miss ....not even the car itself....but the time working on it and getting a great result by modifying it......and im just a b**ch for power......show&shine is too much "hated" cleaning for me :secret:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Same here, i like fabricating and modding better than driving, be it my 4x4's, snowmobile or motorcycle, and i rather keep em raw than lower and polish em to the point where you cant use em daily in fear of scratches.

Right now i have a japan 4x4, 5 door version that i cut up and started to make a pickup with bit of trunk and short bed. Lifted, diff lock, crawler geared transfer case too.

Lifw is too boring to drive stock vehicles.

I like offroad better than pavement, but I really enjoy driving something that I have dialed in for me.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2020 at 9:07 PM, psiberzerker said:

I like offroad better than pavement, but I really enjoy driving something that I have dialed in for me.

Living in NRW Germany and there is no real area for offroading.......besides the fact that i cant effort an offroad vehycle conclusivly to a "normal" car

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

UK laws are pretty good for this sort of thing - if you modify it enough (or build from scratch) then you have to go through a stringent inspection, but even that's quite pragmatic and recognises that if you're only making a one-off, your impact on the safety of UK roads in general is small and hence as long as you've built it well and meet some basic requirements, you're OK.

• Upvote 1

It's not an off-roader until it's been lifted. Part 1 of our suspension lifting efforts is below. We had to make some compromises to get the front end lifted, so there's quite a bit of follow-up work needed - but we've got plenty of ground clearance now!

https://youtu.be/2tr9b8hy308

Thumbnail.png

Edited by davemakesstuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good update. Does the TT also have independent suspension in the back or is it a solid achsle?

• Upvote 1

Independent both ends. The rear differential is in the middle rather than offset like the front, so hopefully we'll have a little less difficulty with the driveshafts when lifting the back end.

Ah cool but thats why you couldnt use one of the front driveshafts. Something else, the TT uses the haldex system for the 4wd, can you change the progamming so you get a constant 50/50 power distribution between front and rear or whatever you want and not the fwd mode its normaly opperating in?

Theres no way to drop the parts from which the driveshafts run to hubs n wheels so the joints then wouldnt be in so big stress? I dropped front end and inch from my Suzuki and never had to put new joints again.

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6

Hm i never really worked on TT's so i cant really tell tbh, i guess the transmission and the front differential are mounted together casing to casing or is it one unit? And where does the driveshaft for the rear exit, i guess the driveshaft exits from the front differential or directly from the transmission?

It depends on the driveshafts, they are made for a certain degree of angle, i guess after you dropped the front of the suzuki it was enough to get into a good operating range.

How did you drop the front end of the suzuki? New engine and transmission mounts? And was the suzuki fwd or 4wd?

The gearbox and differential are all one unit and the engine bay is pretty packed. It might be possible to lower the engine and gearbox together but quite a lot of other stuff would have to move too. I've done some machining on the outer CV joint to get a bit more articulation; the limit on the inner joint is the way the rubber boot is mounted, so hopefully a different boot design will get round the problem. it's only really an issue at max droop, so in the worst case I could always make some droop limiting straps.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beni_Stingray1 said:

Hm i never really worked on TT's so i cant really tell tbh, i guess the transmission and the front differential are mounted together casing to casing or is it one unit? And where does the driveshaft for the rear exit, i guess the driveshaft exits from the front differential or directly from the transmission?

It depends on the driveshafts, they are made for a certain degree of angle, i guess after you dropped the front of the suzuki it was enough to get into a good operating range.

How did you drop the front end of the suzuki? New engine and transmission mounts? And was the suzuki fwd or 4wd

4wd

I used Calmini 3" lift kit that has bits to drop em, for both ends.

Decided to steer away from hard engineering stuff and do a fun mod instead this week. So the TT's got a snorkel air intake.

You may wonder about why a snorkel will help, given that the engine has stackloads of electrics just waiting to disable the car if it gets in deep water. I think there are two answers. One, you can kill an engine pretty quickly by ingesting water splash, and the old intake was just ahead of the front wheel, so this might save the engine even if it doesn't actually let the car swim.

Two, my autocannon build has headlights and exhausts, and not just for the reputation bonus...

https://youtu.be/B6tac9oUmvM

Thumbnail option 2.jpg

Edited by davemakesstuff
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Another update - lifting the suspension put the geometry out, and adding big tyres meant they caught on the back of the arches. Also, TT suspension is designed to sit low and doesn't really work when lifted. 

So now it's on Golf front suspension instead, with the suspension arms cut and modified. Track width is increased by 80mm and the front wheels have moved forward by 20mm. Driveshafts and steering arms are longer too. Now the suspension actually works!

https://youtu.be/gv3GF2ivg8k

Wishbone.png

TT with new suspension.png

• Like 3