I admittedly do not quite understand why a repair option is as unpopular as it appears to be.

When it was around I absolutely loved the experimental repair gamemode but how much fun the games were very much depended on the number of hovers in each match.

(Actually did play no other modes back then an mostly at 5(or 4?) to 7(6? I'm getting old...)k PS).

Granting (self)repairs directly does two things:

Burst damage & durability becomes much more valuable (yay - more tanky builds and offensive play style)

Retreating for repairs can turn the tables on a whole match (meh - sounds nice at first but is actually kinda crap due to how especially hovers can take advantage of the mechanic while most other build very much less so)

So as already said before, options are great but they have to be meaningful.

Adding repairs (of some kind) in my opinion would allow for interesting approaches.

The way it was tested (I can only assume) was not the way they wanted to go due to how certain builds scaled with the tested system.

Maybe repairs could be tweaked in order to allow for limited repairs to an extend based on how many or how heavy structural parts are used on a build?

(Which should reward tankyness, mobility and burst damage each in their own way...)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

This is exactly what I’m picturing. Like a monster tow truck, maybe with some robot arms to weld your teammate back together.

Yeah, in the Army, we called that an Engineer's Vehicle.  (They also come on Tracks)  Honestly, used more for clearing obstacles, like Tank Tracks than reparing other vehicles, but you can use the crane to tow someone to safety.  Pretty much exactly like Skinner.

Edited by psiberzerker

1 minute ago, psiberzerker said:

Yeah, in the Amry, we called that an Engineer's Vehicle.  (They also come on Tracks)  Honestly, used more for clearing obstacles, like Tank Tracks than reparing other vehicles, but you can use the crane to tow someone to safety.  Pretty much exactly like Skinner.

This is giving me more ideas.

It gives a whole new role for skinner (at least for repair trucks that are brave enough to try to extract a crippled teammate).

And since you mentioned clearing obstacles, maybe some kind of anti-mine device would be interesting? I guess you could do something with bumpers and frames, but it would be cool to have a tool specifically for that. 

Basically I’d like to see more support roles, as a way to keep a variety of builds and strategies in the game. 

6 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

And since you mentioned clearing obstacles, maybe some kind of anti-mine device would be interesting?

M4a4_flail_cfb_borden_1.JPG

3 Energy, I would think.  A lot less damage than Harvester (also, 6 units wide) but with Mine/Explosion Resistance, and no other perk.  Yeah, that would be great, but you'd still get roasted by Porcupines.

Counters for everything, including the Counters.  Also, the Bouncing Betty (King) mines would launch, and detonate before you got close enough.  Probably eat Kapkans for breakfast, though.  One thing I really miss about Meat grinders was the ease with which they chewed up Kapkans.  Oh well.

4 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

M4a4_flail_cfb_borden_1.JPG

3 Energy, I would think.  A lot less damage than Harvester (also, 6 units wide) but with Mine/Explosion Resistance, and no other perk.  Yeah, that would be great, but you'd still get roasted by Porcupines.

Counters for everything, including the Counters.  Also, the Bouncing Betty (King) mines would launch, and detonate before you got close enough.  Probably eat Kapkans for breakfast, though.  One thing I really miss about Meat grinders was the ease with which they chewed up Kapkans.  Oh well.

That’s what I was picturing, but I would say it should do no damage to enemies. It should only impact mines/porcs/turrets/kapkans/wheeled drones.

There is repair kits in raids for a reason we do not need hardware todo the same thing pretty much.

Yeah the mechanics are different but it's the same outcome, a fresh ride.

There is no mode currently in crossout I think  that deserves repair hardware.

5 hours ago, Draco_Night said:

Repair in pve can work, but Not in pvp games, there was a Test and it failed.

1 hour ago, poony4u2 said:

This is exactly what I’m picturing. Like a monster tow truck, maybe with some robot arms to weld your teammate back together.

Ush,no robots, rather slaves or mechanics hands with wrenches and torches.

Am I the only one who would like to spend more time playing and less time shopping and crafting?

Why do so many seem to see playing missions as an unpleasant chore that you should just get out of the way as quickly as possible. 
At least with the repair mode you were less likely to spend most of the match dead and watching your teammates.

I aint got nothing against twice bigger maps and 6-8 minute battles. Would change the build styles a lot i guess.

• Thanks 1

It should be slow and gradual. The repair truck and the damaged truck should feel real fear while they frantically work to get functional again. 

Tow truck would tow the buddy to cover if he wants to tow him, and then repair the buddy by being in complete stop and keeping the towline on his buddy till its fixed so much that his client chooses to unhook himself and start fighting. Something like this.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

Ush,no robots, rather slaves or mechanics hands with wrenches and torches.

This would ruin the Rating.  For gore, slavery...  There's no human models, and while it would be more "Realistic" if you had to get out to fix a track.  If we want to keep it T for teen (Definitely not Team) we pretty much can't have squishy blood sacks on the field.

Robots don't bleed.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

This would ruin the Rating.  For gore, slavery...  There's no human models, and while it would be more "Realistic" if you had to get out to fix a track.  If we want to keep it T for teen (Definitely not Team) we pretty much can't have squishy blood sacks on the field.

Robots don't bleed.

Well such arms could be rusty steam punk ,welded and crude. Chains,sprockets etc.

As robots can look good too if there has to be one. 

Sorry,i always forget why theres no humans ,blood ,guts and all.

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6

21 minutes ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

Well such arms could be rusty steam punk ,welded and crude.

I'd call that Dieselpunk, and make it Hydraulics, but yeah.

JCB_3CX_Backhoe_loader.jpg

This is the kind of technology I'm talking about  You have any idea how many Back Hoes, and Excavators we have?  Hydraulic arm attachment for Catapillar skid-steers.  That's Founder's tech, and they've got Directed Energy Weapons.

Forget realism, believeability depends on how you sell it.  I'm not actually all for a Healing mechanic, in Crossout.  As much as it's marketed as an "MMO," one thing I don't miss is rigid pigeonhole roles like Tank, Healer, and DPS.  I'm perfectly happy with everyone being some mix of Tank, and DPS/Alpa/Burst.

However, that being said, "Robotic" arms isn't really that far fetched, in a setting that also has Mecha Legs.

Plustech-12.JPG

23 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

I'd call that Dieselpunk, and make it Hydraulics, but yeah.

JCB_3CX_Backhoe_loader.jpg

This is the kind of technology I'm talking about  You have any idea how many Back Hoes, and Excavators we have?  Hydraulic arm attachment for Catapillar skid-steers.  That's Founder's tech, and they've got Directed Energy Weapons.

Forget realism, believeability depends on how you sell it.  I'm not actually all for a Healing mechanic, in Crossout.  As much as it's marketed as an "MMO," one thing I don't miss is rigid pigeonhole roles like Tank, Healer, and DPS.  I'm perfectly happy with everyone being some mix of Tank, and DPS/Alpa/Burst.

However, that being said, "Robotic" arms isn't really that far fetched, in a setting that also has Mecha Legs.

Plustech-12.JPG

Oh i know that stuff quite well after making my income in the forests and halls, repairing them hands-on.

I believe one of the only ways something like this would be feasible is that instead of a module, it would be a more offense based version of the Skinner. Instead of grabbing with a single cable, it'll rip with multiple cables and would heal durability (not restore parts) based off of the parts it rips off.

34 minutes ago, Steel_Artist said:

I believe one of the only ways something like this would be feasible is that instead of a module, it would be a more offense based version of the Skinner. Instead of grabbing with a single cable, it'll rip with multiple cables and would heal durability (not restore parts) based off of the parts it rips off.

What?  Heal by ripping things off?  That's insane.  Here, let me get my Cenobite hooks for those pinpricks.

Edited by psiberzerker

Alongside with it possibly ruining the game, I think that a self repair module would entirely change the game. Depending on how much energy it consumed (knowing the devs, 1 or 2) it would become like cloaks but worse. most any build would need it to compete, it would become the new meta.

2 hours ago, Jiffy_boi said:

Alongside with it possibly ruining the game, I think that a self repair module would entirely change the game. Depending on how much energy it consumed (knowing the devs, 1 or 2) it would become like cloaks but worse. most any build would need it to compete, it would become the new meta.

We’re not talking about self repair, only the ability to repair teammates.

Just now, poony4u2 said:

We’re not talking about self repair, only the ability to repair teammates.

Let's be real, we're talking about a Healer.

I say no.  Crossout doesn't need a healer.  i think it might be cool in certain Game modes if there was a mechanic.  A shop where you can pull in, and get fixed up, but that takes you out of combat, and it might be something interesting to fight over, in PvP.

Instead of a Capture Point, there's actually a reason to hold that position.  However, there's only 1 bay in the garage, and you need to not fight other team mates over who's turn it is, hog it, et cetera.

What I'm saying is it might make an interesting mechanic (If you'll pardon the expression) for a game Mode.  A lot better than the hold R for Heal wherever you are in the old Brawl (i forget what it's called.)  Only 1 person can be healed in the garage at a time, and the teams can fight over that.

We even have the Jones NPC, with dialog boxes coded in for Adventure Mode.  I don't want a Healer Class, Repair Unit, or anything like that, though.  This isn't really that kind of game.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:58 AM, Draco_Night said:

Repair in pve can work, but Not in pvp games, there was a Test and it failed.

I agree, I played the repair game and in PVP it was a bust. In raid, liviathan (player used), or adventure mode it could work, provided an ammo limit, understandable cooldown time, and moderate energy cost (2-4).

Perhaps they should limit it to use in these gamemods.

Edited by Priceless911
Bad grammer

TBH I still think repair mode is only a gimmick people that "can't deal with the frustration of dying/getting severely damaged in this game" came up with. Sort of same old stand-still regenerative shield some FPS games use to not frustrate that playerbase and artificially extend playtime.

I mean it sure is annoying to get your gasgen hit by a stray Cricket rocket across the map in the first few seconds of battle but dumb luck is also a factor in video games and trying to change everything around you to suit your needs will turn the game boring to pretty much everyone else.

Its just like that pray scene from Almighty Bruce where he grants the wishes from everyone and in turn destroyed society.

42b1kf.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lucashc90 said:

TBH I still think repair mode is only a gimmick people that "can't deal with the frustration of dying/getting severely damaged in this game" came up with. Sort of same old stand-still regenerative shield some FPS games use to not frustrate that playerbase and artificially extend playtime.

I mean it sure is annoying to get your gasgen hit by a stray Cricket rocket across the map in the first few seconds of battle but dumb luck is also a factor in video games and trying to change everything around you to suit your needs will turn the game boring to pretty much everyone else.

Its just like that pray scene from Almighty Bruce where he grants the wishes from everyone and in turn destroyed society.

42b1kf.jpg

I agree with you if we’re talking about self repair, but my motivation behind a teammate repair module is that I would like a wider range of support roles for players like me who enjoy support.

I watch my girlfriend’s teenage daughter playing Overwatch, and her main character is Mercy. She gets few kills compared to DPS characters, but she can win a game for her team if she’s smart at it. I’m totally ok with getting no kills if I can help my team. Individual glory doesn’t interest me.

I’m just in favour of more variety in general. I know some think that makes balancing impossible, but I think with enough complexity there will be less of a role for pure meta builds.

• Upvote 1

Only place for repairs i see in adventure mode where it can be annoying having to respawn.

But i didn't even click that when the ingame survey came up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fftunes4real said:

Only place for repairs i see in adventure mode where it can be annoying having to respawn.

You can just hit Escape, and respawn at the nearest Garage.  In fact, it's generally faster than waiting for the auto-jack when you jump off a cliff, and land wrong.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

You can just hit Escape, and respawn at the nearest Garage

Incredible. You're a genius.

Edited by fftunes4real
  • Haha 2

On 5/20/2020 at 7:52 PM, psiberzerker said:

What?  Heal by ripping things off?  That's insane.  Here, let me get my Cenobite hooks for those pinpricks.

Cenobites mentioned :wub:

Now theres a nonsense scifi ghost faction from out of nowhere, that i'd change those Dawns Toddlers and Founders for ,any day. 

No tears please, its a waste of good suffering.

Imagine their weaponry,oh man. 

(Sorry for offtopic.)

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6