Velaryon1007

Aegis could use a little buff...

Aegis Vs Barrier IX  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you find to be more useful and balanced according to the PS?

• Barrier IX (8s shield time, 870 PS, 3 energy)
    • Aegis Prime (4s shield time, 1200 PS, 3 energy)

Hello, 

I've been using the Aegis Prime and the Barrier IX (in separate builds, not at once) for a couple days now, and while I find the barrier to be perfectly usable, borderline slightly too effective, negating much more damage, in a far wider area on which your team can group and shoot through, I fin the Aegis Prime to be underperforming in comparison. 

It just doesn't last enough to be really effective, the damage mitigated is enough for a single person shield, but it lasts an excessively short time with a long reload (that isn't even affected by the Omnibox cabin / Colossus; as far as I can recall only the cheetah and maybe the hot red affects it). And, of course, the Barrier IX absorbs much more damage AND lasts double the time, with a PS score being 330pts lower and the same energy requirement. 

I find 3 possible fixes to the Aegis that would help to make it more usable, not only that kind of "Let's block that pulsar shot from the other side of the map while I keep sniping":

1- Forcing that Either the Omnibox Cabin or the Colossus engine affects it, or just reduce the recharge time in general.

2- Make the shield last slightly longer (atm is like 4s active, 5 or even 6 wouldn't hurt), but keeping the reload and modules effect on it as it is

3-  Reduce it's powerscore more in the 1000 PS range or even lower it to legendary category and keep it unchanged (maybe lower the mitigated damage to 800 [actually it's around 1000 to 1200 I think])

What do you all think?

Have a nice day!

Edited by Velaryon1007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all these points. If it were like this then I would actually consider using it again. 

Whilst maybe not a massively useful item in regular PVP, in clanwars this is a very common module to see on something like a helios hover designed to tank that one massive blast from a typhoon/tsunami and racking up the damage. It tends to be the most effective on DPS builds and fighting against high alpha builds. The other advantage it gives is a practically instant deploy time instead of that of the barrier which waits to activate its module and is better used dropped in a choke point to give your team the incentive to push without fear of damage.

In short the barrier is a team oriented slower module hence it is more useful in 8v8 PVP, the Aegis is more of a "Selfish" fast deploy module for tanking that one big shot from a big cannon thus if the time was increased that it was deployed it would still finish within the time taken for a cannon to reload (unless buffed to ridiculous levels)

The two shields fit different roles.  One is a solo shield, one is a group.  Obviously.  That being said, and since cw PvP and general PvP is all about teamwork barrierx is the superior bubble.   Aegis is a little too greedy for group play, but works well with small rides and hovers.   Aegis protects against close range fire, where as barrierx can be nullified by close range.  Aegis also stack plays much better. 

I would hope they don't buff aegis.  I feel it doesn't need more power.  Barrierx is however surprisingly strong for its rarity, though can be countered easier than aegis. 

Different Roles, Different Activation times.

Barrier can be killed before it activates
Barrier is 4 energy

Lets not return to OP shuield hovers with Helios, especially just after they received a new power module we have yet to see if they are a buff module or not.
If anything the bubble could be a little bigger on aegis but thats it. imho :)

Edited by v3rgi1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, v3rgi1 said:

Different Roles, Different Activation times.

Barrier can be killed before it activates
Barrier is 4 energy

Lets not return to OP shuield hovers with Helios, especially just after they received a new power module we have yet to see if they are a buff module or not.
If anything the bubble could be a little bigger on aegis but thats it. imho :)

Barrier IX is only 3 energy, not 4. 

I have to agree, they have different roles, the fact that's bothering me is that we're speaking about two shields with the same energy requirement (3), and the only think in favor of the aegis is that it activates instantly and moves with you, having 330 more PS, 1/3rd of the durability, much smaller bubble, legendary vs epic and costing 5x more in the market compared with the Barrier IX. Not even mentioning the size, being a 4x3 box that has only the base as welding points, not the sides. 

And lastly nope I think that bubble size it's okay as it is, forces you to place it in a place where it will protect the most important parts of your build, not covering just huge builds, that would be OP. Increasing the active time up to 7s reducing a bit the durability (to 800 or 900) wouldn't make any damage though.

Edited by Velaryon1007

4 hours ago, Velaryon1007 said:

Hello, 

I've been using the Aegis Prime and the Barrier IX (in separate builds, not at once) for a couple days now, and while I find the barrier to be perfectly usable, borderline slightly too effective, negating much more damage, in a far wider area on which your team can group and shoot through, I fin the Aegis Prime to be underperforming in comparison. 

It just doesn't last enough to be really effective, the damage mitigated is enough for a single person shield, but it lasts an excessively short time with a long reload (that isn't even affected by the Omnibox cabin / Colossus; as far as I can recall only the cheetah and maybe the hot red affects it). And, of course, the Barrier IX absorbs much more damage AND lasts double the time, with a PS score being 330pts lower and the same energy requirement. 

I find 3 possible fixes to the Aegis that would help to make it more usable, not only that kind of "Let's block that pulsar shot from the other side of the map while I keep sniping":

1- Forcing that Either the Omnibox Cabin or the Colossus engine affects it, or just reduce the recharge time in general.

2- Make the shield last slightly longer (atm is like 4s active, 5 or even 6 wouldn't hurt), but keeping the reload and modules effect on it as it is

3-  Reduce it's powerscore more in the 1000 PS range or even lower it to legendary category and keep it unchanged (maybe lower the mitigated damage to 800 [actually it's around 1000 to 1200 I think])

What do you all think?

Have a nice day!

i would just like it to block scorpion rounds tbh

the inconsistency is very annoying 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, v3rgi1 said:

imo its the cheetah that makes those hovers op, the without cheetah the reload time is very slow

The aegis has a big issue with balance because of cheetah and Bigfoot perks. I agree the aegis should last about 6s and increase its size and durability by 20%. However, its current reload speed is insane with cheetah and Bigfoot. It's the only scenario where I see the Aegis shine. Any other configuration and it's quite underwhelming.

My main problem with Barrier is you only get 4 of them.  So, I attach a Rift to the Gasgen, and the launcher to that.  After your domes are used up, you don't need the weight, or Generator any more.  Still, 4 of them is enough to push forward early in the match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylonsburning said:

Barrier also has double the shield health of an aegis

Right, that was mentioned before, but the infinite ammo on Aegis wasn't.  

4 hours ago, ZKWS said:

i would just like it to block scorpion rounds tbh

the inconsistency is very annoying 

Scorps can counter your kind of build deal with it
They counter my cricket hover but do you see me whining about them all the time?

Just properly place your aegis so scorps can't hit the guns through it, they only go 7 blocks through aegis... learn how to adapt people

Also I think aegis should stay as is, it is already cancer enough with DPS builds, we don't need even more cancer with helios and breakers

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Velaryon1007 said:

Hello, 

What do you all think?

Have a nice day!

Well the main difference between Barrier IX and Aegis is you can move with the Aegis. Or you can pop it out behind cover, step out to the line of fire, take your shot and retreat before you take any damage. Just gotta be fast enough.

The original incarnation of Aegis shield was stupid OP back in 2017. The sole reason was because the shield lasted too long. This resulted in Aegis being an "I win" -button. We do not want to go there anymore.

As long as you don't get surrounded with no exit you can keep using the Aegis: Pop it when having an encounter and run away. Charge the shield and go at it again. The charge time is the same as for Chameleon mk2 (IIRC).

If you have Cheetah installed onto your Aegis build you can practically outlast anything that's not clearly faster than you are.

The PS of the module is tied to its energy usage. The energy usage and PS are inherently tied together. That's why Aegis and Imp have the same PS.

Just now, Spedemix said:

Well the main difference between Barrier IX and Aegis is you can move with the Aegis. Or you can pop it out behind cover, step out to the line of fire, take your shot and retreat before you take any damage.

You can drop Barrier, and the dome is large enough to cover you when you peak out.  that's the big difference for me:  The dome is large enough to cover 2, and sometimes 3 (Depending on the build, it's hard to cram Spiders, and hovers in) players under it, so you can use it for Support.  It can also cover some targets in PvE (Not the towers, but the bottoms of the towers.)

Aegis just covers you, but it's mobile, so you can move around.  I don't see the point of using it just to hold a defensive point.  Because of the coverage, Barrier is a lot better for that.

I actually agree with this, 

Originally the Aegis used to be spammed, so people would have 1 gun and 3 aegis and be almost invincible, then they nerfed it so hard it became almost obsolete 

The problem with the module is that 1 of them was just ****, it didn't do anything really to help you, i mean yeah you can pop out of cover, use it, then go back into cover and take little to no damage, but because it takes 3 energy, and it's a support tool, you're just better off using a cloak usually, not to mention the coin cost of the thing.

I've had some great success with my driveby King Mine build using an Aegis on the back to keep my butt from being blown off on the escape route, but other than that.. a cloak or another gun is almost ALWAYS better.

I think maybe it needs a full rework, maybe keep the shield size, it's small and means your build has to be compact, or you have to fit it strategically in areas you know you're going to be taking a lot of damage, the energy cost might be a little too high for the module, i think 2 energy might be better for it, that way it can be used as a support tool and not gimp your entire build, maybe make it a "you can only fit 1 of these modules to your build" type thing, and then make the duration 10 seconds long, increase it's cooldown to the same as the cloak, reduce the damage it can take, make it more viable to base an entire build around it as it's a really cool tool to use, and just not implemented very well, it would actually lend itself to working quite nicely in helping balance the hover issue that's been on going if that was the primary defence tool for Dawn's Children builds... dunno food for thought!

3 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

Scorps can counter your kind of build deal with it

scorps can counter any build..

3 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

learn how to adapt people

take your own advice 

image.thumb.png.b0c62d53373e6172b61cdb9b

1 hour ago, ZKWS said:

scorps can counter any build..

No they can't plenty of builds can push their s* in

You can too if you actually knew how to counter them

4 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

No they can't plenty of builds can push their s* in

You can too if you actually knew how to counter them

i can counter scorps too?

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, ZKWS said:

i can counter scorps too?

16 hours ago, Alice_Accord said:

2 energy might be better for it, that way it can be used as a support tool and not gimp your entire build, maybe make it a "you can only fit 1 of these modules to your build" type thing, and then make the duration 10 seconds long, increase it's cooldown to the same as the cloak, reduce the damage it can take,

This would make is useless. It already pops with a double canon hit or 2 cricket rockets from medium distance, less health on the bubble would make it totally useless against what it currently stops, porcs, and fortunes already pass right through it as it is. Plus only having 1 any form of focus firing, bubble is dead instantly without a second.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylonsburning said:

This would make is useless. It already pops with a double canon hit or 2 cricket rockets from medium distance, less health on the bubble would make it totally useless against what it currently stops, porcs, and fortunes already pass right through it as it is. Plus only having 1 any form of focus firing, bubble is dead instantly without a second.

Hmm, maybe you're right, I'm not sure what the solution would be then.

Maybe make it absorb the same amount of damage and convert it into engine power/ vehicle speed to give you some thrust?

Dunno.. 

4 hours ago, Babylonsburning said:

Double cannons no longer pop aegis, and it takes 8 cricket rockets to pop aegis

FYI to pop a shield you need to do 500 explosive dmg to it

12 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

Im sorry you clearly do not know what an oce box or how a cricket perk works i guess, i said medium range or further. Not point blank.

Like ive said before. Pc advice with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

If i could have 1 buff without changing ANY numbers, id remove what we call que balling.

Thats when, despite us blocking the shot with a shield, the typhoon impulse sends us flying some where anyways cuz physics.

Remove que balling is my vote for a buff without breaking the game.

• Like 1