Jiffy_boi

A simple suggestion to balance hovers

I think the most rational thing at this point from what I know is for the devs to push out a stop gap patch to bring hovers in line and push out a permanent solution. Remove their automatic flipping and make them more unstable. Then rewrite the movement mechanics and improve the physics, then re-evaluate movement part balance and hovers to see what problems exist. Hovers are a symptom of a bigger problem. 

Spoiler

Here is what I would do:

Cabins

1. Replace power and speed with balanced horsepower and engine rpm stats
  2. Remove tonnage and mass limit. A Growl Should be able to tow like a Semi Truck if it has a Colossus. 
  3. Give them equal energy at equal rarities regardless of classification

Movement

1. Replace tonnage with entirely new load limit stats. We should not need loads of movement parts to support vehicles. Since tonnage on cabs is removed, movement parts need very high load limits. 
  2. Add suspension strength which relies on how much load limit is used. Want loose suspension that allows you to shoot perfectly at high speed, have less wheels and less redundancy. Want a more durable vehicle for a slower playstyle, load up on redundant movement parts which stiffen the suspension. This compromise lends itself perfectly to balancing light and heavy builds all on its own. 
  3. Power drain should be dependent upon the weight of a movement part, and it should be a flat number, not a percentage. 
  4. Losing wheels does not mean you lose power drain and can go faster. Vehicles should not become faster and more responsive when they get movement parts stripped. In real life, there is still power going to that differential which drives that wheel's axle even if the wheel is gone. That power is not magically conserved.

The reason why reality is generally very balanced when you look at something like an Iron triangle, or armor vs. anti armor is because laws of physics force compromise/balance, there is no engineering something to have no tradeoffs. Crossout does not have compromise/balance in its mechanics and Targem break all universal balances. This is not good in any game, especially when the end result is an incoherent imbalanced mess.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

Harpy weighs 800 kg and Humpback weighs 4000 kg, your point?

5 times the Mass takes 25 times the Power to reach the same speed over the same time.

Does Humpback have 25 times the Power of Harpy?

I don't use hovers, but I do think that they are fine and balanced as they are, you just have to take the right gear against them, they are fairly easy to counter with explosive weapons, grenade launchers, hurricanes, the Tsunami is gunna WRECK them once it gets it's buff, not to mention AI controlled weapons shred through to lightly armoured cabins very quickly, hit them with a standard melee build and you ground them in 1 hit, get a flame thrower near them and they melt off quickly too, shotgun ramps counter them, scorpions counter them, retchers counter them, wheeled builds counter them, legged builds counter them... the only thing that needs a change is the Assembler, other than that they are fine.

Oh, Reapers counter them too, King mines counter them... Machine guns tear off their squishy armour really fast too, rapid light machine guns are disgusting against them if you can make a speedy good handling wheely build, skinners counter them, kapkan counters them, getting close using a cloak counters them.. 

I'd actually say they might even be a little underpowered now if anything as far as movement parts go, wheeled builds are WAY faster than them and almost as manoeuvrable except for side strafing, legs have silly hp and good rotation mobility, tracks.. again super tanky builds and about to be buffed for rotation speeds, meat grinders are crap.. need an agility buff imo.

They are very strong against tracked builds, but that's sorta their only real niche, keeping range and guns on target..

Yeah, dunno.. not sure what all the hate is about, they are agile, but very lightly armoured builds sooooo yeah, just use your brain and you will win :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

Harpy weighs 800 kg and Humpback weighs 4000 kg, your point?

Even in the dishonest way you put it, that is a 4x weight difference compared to 14x. I still have a point you've failed to even argue with. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFluffyBadger said:

Even in the dishonest way you put it, that is a 4x weight difference compared to 14x. I still have a point you've failed to even argue with. 

:facepalm:

Why should a massively heavier car designed to carry heavy loads and not go fast accelerate faster than a cabin taken from a sportscar

Edited by Bobbill12345
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

:facepalm:

Why should a massively heavier car designed to carry heavy loads and not go fast accelerate faster than a cabin taken from a sportscar

Torque

1 minute ago, Jiffy_boi said:

Torque

The torque is wasted on carrying the extra mass

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

The torque is wasted on carrying the extra mass

Ah, I ran straight over that.