Sign in to follow this  
CamoWraith

Make Armored Tracks and Meat grinders have variable length

On 6/16/2020 at 10:03 PM, psiberzerker said:

Acceleration, top speed, and control.  That's what the legs are for, stability.  (However, you're vulnerable to wedging from the rear.)

Except a lot of people don't have reapers. Small tracks are far cheaper.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CamoWraith said:

Except a lot of people don't have reapers. Small tracks are far cheaper.

Yeah, I had to sell my Reaper to afford other weapons, so I feel that.  I miss that build though.  Easily the best build I've done so far, and that's without the Howl!  (The perks don't match up, but Harpy is super-heavy, and Howl is super light.  Also, it's shorter, so I'd need less armor along the sides, and it'll be lighter overall.)

It's just a fairly unique thing I did, that really surprised people in PvP.  Of course not everyone has a Reaper, but if you do, you can do some pretty game-breaking things with it.  Note:  Boosters, and recoil-thrust doesn't work with Tracks, and Meat Grinders.

1 hour ago, psiberzerker said:

Note:  Boosters, and recoil-thrust doesn't work with Tracks, and Meat Grinders.

I know. They used to work on tracks.

Just now, CamoWraith said:

I know. They used to work on tracks.

It kinda make sense that Tracks have enough Contact Patch that Thrust isn't going to work.

18 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

It kinda make sense that Tracks have enough Contact Patch that Thrust isn't going to work.

I agree, but if they have that much traction, adding wheels shouldn’t cancel the reverse speed.

2 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

I agree, but if they have that much traction, adding wheels shouldn’t cancel the reverse speed.

Ish.  There's so much wrong with integrating half tracks, an other hybrids.  Again, if Reverse Speed is all you get out of Tracks, there's something seriously wrong.  They should have the best Turning Speed.  That would be an actually advantage.  Driving super fast backwards, and still handling like a Tank really isn't.

Basically, they perform just as badly driving forward.  That's a problem.

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Upvote 1

I’m liking how small tracks are handling right now actually. And that reverse speed is something I have found incredibly useful when paired with the right weapons. One of my most effective anti hover and anti wedge techniques. They just can resist trying to rush a tank, but I can keep out of their range while pummelling them. I love seeing them get slower and slower as they lose movement parts. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

One of my most effective anti hover and anti wedge techniques. They just can resist trying to rush a tank, but I can keep out of their range while pummelling them. I love seeing them get slower and slower as they lose movement parts. 

So, you can outrun a wheeled Wedge, by driving backwards, at 90?  Last time I checked, most Wedges drive Forwards.  Faster than 90.

2 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

So, you can outrun a wheeled Wedge, by driving backwards, at 90?  Last time I checked, most Wedges drive Forwards.  Faster than 90.

If you build right, you can have very strong acceleration. If I start reversing early enough and keep shooting, I can keep out of their danger range while stripping wheels and guns. Also, you can turn tightly and flip around them if they do get too close. 
If they have boosters I’m screwed, but a lot of sturdy 6 wheel wedge builds are sluggish compared to a 4 small track build. 
(also, golden eagle is your friend for this kind of build)

11 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

If you build right, you can have very strong acceleration.

Then what happens when you hit 90?

I can keep out of their danger range while stripping wheels and guns.

Yes, I do that too.  However, you can do that on any movement part, you can reverse, and strafe faster on Hovers, in any direction, and just out-maneuver them.  Also, you're focusing on Small Tracks, when I'm talking about Tracks.  In general.  90 is barely fast enough, in forward, and reverse, and Small Tracks are the exception.  You're still limited in forward AND reverse, and trying to convince me that being just as mediocre in reverse makes up for being mediocre driving forward.

Also, somehow you can out-run wheeled wedges, the fastest build in the game, somehow, on tracks.  Any tracks.  If they're playing Wedge, "Just hold W" wedge, acelleration doesn't come into it, because they're already moving faster than 90 before you even see them.

Also, you can turn tightly and flip around them if they do get too close. 

LOL!  "Flip around them."  Right, as if they fixed the issue with tracks spinning out, and flipping, when they changed the turning radius.  You expect me to believe that Small Tracks are better for drift turns than wheeled wedges now, too?

If they have boosters I’m screwed, (also, golden eagle is your friend for this kind of build)

If they have Cheetah, you're screwed, and if they have Chameleon, they have Cheetah, to cycle stealth faster.  In this fantasy battle, where they're already moving faster forward than you can go in revesres, even with Golden Eagle, how do you shoot out their tires when they're cloaked?  

Regardless, I've used Small Tracks, exclusively, for like 4 Months.  Being able to drive 90 in reverse is nice, but it's not enough to make them superior to Wedges.  If it was, then everyone would be driving Small Tracks instead of Wedges, and Hovers.

Edited by psiberzerker

I never said superior, or that it works every time. Just saying it’s a maneuver that works better on small tracks than anything else. 
Ideally by the time the wedge gets up past 90, I’ve done enough damage that they’re not a threat. The immediate braking is how you screw with them if they get too close.

Sure, if you hit a bump you might flip, but c’est la vie. 

As far as cloak goes, I just keep up suppressing fire at the choke point I’m guarding. As soon as they appear, hit reverse and keep shooting. It’s not going to be effective if they’re already at full speed and right next to me, but there’s not much you can do at that point. I just focus on not letting them get close. 

Hovers are a bit different, but I can outrun them on small tracks if I see them coming. Hovers don’t usually try to get close though.

5 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

Ideally by the time the wedge gets up past 90, I’ve done enough damage that they’re not a threat.

Ideally, the Wedge gets up past 90 at the beginning of the match, and drives around at maximum possible speed the whole time.  That's the Role of Wedge, and other melee.  

The immediate braking is how you screw with them if they get too close.

^This.  I did the same thing on Meat Grinders (Best brakes in the game) and if you can time the reload on Cannons, it works for Hovers as well.  

Hovers are a bit different, but I can outrun them on small tracks if I see them coming. Hovers don’t usually try to get close though.

Here, I've found that the Weapon is more important than the Movement Parts, if you can do at least 90.  Unless you're full Melee/SGW, you just have to keep them in range, and DPS, but you're at a disadvantage with fixed weapons, because they can straffe.  

Edited by psiberzerker

1 minute ago, psiberzerker said:

Ideally, the Wedge gets up past 90 at the beginning of the match, and drives around at maximum possible speed the whole time.  That's the Role of Wedge, and other melee.  

That’s the ideal, but few wedge players pull that off consistently. When I’ve tried out various meta-wedge builds from the exhibition, most don’t actually have great acceleration. If they hit a wall or wedge someone, it takes them a while to get up to 90 again, whereas with a light small track build with golden eagle I can get a lot of quick distance from them. 

Like I said, if they’re close to you and going fast you don’t have many options. You can try to dodge, and then retreat while firing, or you can go full speed at them and hope you land on your feet when you launch off their wedge. I’d rather gamble on the retreat and keep shooting.

10 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

Like I said, if they’re close to you and going fast you don’t have many options. You can try to dodge, and then retreat while firing, or you can go full speed at them and hope you land on your feet when you launch off their wedge. I’d rather gamble on the retreat and keep shooting.

That's literally wedge play.  So, basically, it's useless, unless they don't know how to play Wedge?  It's an effective counter against players that suck at wedging.

this could work with some limits to the maximum and minimum length, otherwise people make builds with 50 meter long tracks

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobbill12345 said:

this could work with some limits to the maximum and minimum length, otherwise people make builds with 50 meter long tracks

I forgot to say that there would be a minimum and maximum length. My bad.

Minimum length would be 3/4 length they are now. Maximum length would be about 1.5 current length.

1 hour ago, CamoWraith said:

I forgot to say that there would be a minimum and maximum length. My bad.

Minimum length would be 3/4 length they are now. Maximum length would be about 1.5 current length.

1.5 too small tbh, needs to be at least 2

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

1.5 too small tbh, needs to be at least 2

How about 2.5 at maximum length?

• Upvote 1

How about 2.5 at maximum length?

could work

14 minutes ago, CamoWraith said:

If the Devs ever consider the idea.

they wont because players actually like the idea

• Haha 1

And how you figure they'd pull off a variable length 3D model of tracks, realistically? Only way i see is making it multiple parts (front - middle - back for armored tracks) and that would have to happen dynamicly in build mode, i doubt devs would even want to think about it.

It's a nice idea, no doubt. 

12 minutes ago, Bobbill12345 said:

they wont because players actually like the idea

Quick! Bash my idea tell and me how dumb I am so the devs take a look at the idea.

Edited by CamoWraith
Grammar

Bash my idea tell me how dumb I am so the devs take a look at the idea.

It would be difficult, because multiple models with different lengths would have to be rendered, and balanced with Goliaths.  (The competition when it comes to the extremes of length)  Especially when it comes to different stats between 1, 2, 3, and 4 section lengths of joined Track.  

It would be a lot easier for Meat Grinders.

Sign in to follow this