psiberzerker

Why is everything so slow?

Just a basic kvetch about gameplay, but something that bothers me is the speed limits on cabins, especially Heavy Cabins.  Basically, 60Km/H is 37 MPH, which is slow for a fully loaded semi-truck.  That's suburban neighborhood speeds.  We're trying to do vehicular combat at getting pulled over in a school zone speeds.

This:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Expanded_Mobility_Tactical_Truck

Will do 62 MILEs per hour (100 Km/Hour) with 10 short tons (9.1 metric Tonnes) and a trailer.  Yeah, on pavement, downhill, with a tail-wind, but still.  In what world is any heavy truck limited to 3/5ths that?  

A light, fast cabin with a Cheetah and 2 light wheels is limited to 75 M/H (120Km/H)  That's "Fast" in this game, you need JATO rocket boosters to go any faster than that.  This is dragging down the game, coupled with the sluggish acceleration of any movement parts besides Hovers (Which are speed capped at under 50 M/H, with Jade to make them gofasta)

I know, we need to keep the speeds down to something the engine can handle, and that's why you explode above like 200 Km/H, but you can fix that, right?   

/rant

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Because players that couldn't hit hovers when they weren't speed capped complained enough. Then other stuff got speed caps so it wasn't just hovers getting one.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SIGMA920 said:

Because players that couldn't hit hovers when they weren't speed capped complained enough. Then other stuff got speed caps so it wasn't just hovers getting one.

Yeah, no.  That's not it, honestly.  "Because hovers" isn't an adequate answer, when I barely even mentioned them.  It's not just hovers, I mentioned 2 wheeled builds too, as the fastest build possible in the game.  Still not fast enough.

I specifically said Heavy Cabins.  Hovers aren't a Heavy Cabin.  Did you even read the OP?

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

Yeah, no.  That's not it, honestly.  "Because hovers" isn't an adequate answer, when I barely even mentioned them.  It's not just hovers, I mentioned 2 wheeled builds too, as the fastest build possible in the game.  Still not fast enough.

I specifically said Heavy Cabins.  Hovers aren't a Heavy Cabin.  Did you even read the OP?

It actually is. Hovers used to have no speed cap, not did anything else. Cabins didn't have a top speed stat until that point either.

Hovers got a speed cap, it was expanded to other movement parts, and cabins received a max speed stat because of hovers and bad players complaining.

The 120 I'm/h max speed is an engine limitations (Go over sufficiently and you start taking damage and that's if you don't explode outright.) and I doubt that will be fixed any time soon.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SIGMA920 said:

Hovers got a speed cap, it was expanded to other movement parts, and cabins received a max speed stat because of hovers and bad players complaining.

I get that, however, 62 Miles Per Hour is far too slow.  Even if we accept that the entire game was nerfed because Hovers were too hard to hit (Which is absurd) it was nerfed down to far too slow.

The 120 I'm/h max speed is an engine limitations (Go over sufficiently and you start taking damage and that's if you don't explode outright.) and I doubt that will be fixed any time soon.

Okay, but the gap below that hard cap doesn't have to be that far.  Light Cabin (And Torero) = 100 Km/H.  Medium Cabin is anywhere from 90-to-70.  That's a 20 Km/H range so that Heavy Cabins don't break the speed limit in a school zone.

You ever been on a Highway?  You ever been passed by a fully loaded Tractor Trailer with a backhoe on a flatbed out back?  Yeah, 55MpH (That's 88 Km/H) is a reasonable speed limit.  

60 is too slow.  For anything, in this game.  On Tracks, that makes sense, but on Cabins?  No cabin should ever be limited to 60Km/H.  

Edited by psiberzerker

You seen heavy trucks in dynes doing actual combat, or in urban scenario?

Atleast i havent seen heavy trucks with rocket launchers,cannon or anything on em, goin like 80 kilometers per hour while shooting.

Just now, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

You seen heavy trucks in dynes doing actual combat, or in urban scenario?

Not really.  I mean, I have been in vehicular combat, in an urban setting, with rubble strewn about, after the Siege of Sarajevo.

So, you slow down, when you get TO the fight, so your rockets, and stuff are more accurate.  We already have that mechanic in the game, so certain weapons are less accurate when bouncing around like a Baja Truck, but the first minute on Old Town is just driving halfway across that map, to start fighting.  

Outside of combat, a trophy truck should still be capable of driving fast.  You make art cars, right?  Does 120Km/H seem fast enough, for a Lambourghini cabin on racing slicks?  Because I know you've done that build, you want pictures from one of your own threads?

Just now, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

Atleast i havent seen heavy trucks with rocket launchers,cannon or anything on em, goin like 80 kilometers per hour while shooting.

Uhm, where you in the Army?  I have to ask.  Because I have seen them driving up to 90, on the road, in between fights.  Heavy trucks are used for Transport, not Combat (Though they often get attacked, because they're basically not armed.)  

Yes, a Kamaz, or deuce and a half will go faster than 60 Km/H.  I swear.  You'll just have to take my word on that.

1 hour ago, SIGMA920 said:

Well said, couldnt agree more!

Yeah offcourse ive served:014:

But i mean that i kinda dont see any realism ( which i sort of like and miss)in seeing a 18000kg trucks in game spinning like 100kmh and using whatever guns they have. 

And i mean terrains that arent paved/hard "real" roads.

I do agree , and vote for trucks going up to lets say 100kmh on hard road-like places, easily but in offroad combat,without it being insanely bumpy to fight well?  No...they need to stop or slow down .

I do like stuff like Vietnam era guntrucks on convoys, a lot and it would be cool to see em in game ( naturally looking good too ).

You mean that white Lambo cab build? Well sure,i have nothin against it being faster,but i like to see it only as a cab, with offroad mods done to it,so i dont expect it to go so fast as it goes on stock condition in street. I love gear ratio mods, difflocks, slow transfer gear etc and i build offroad cars so i have some clue. And im not saying you dont, so you dont need to do a long lecture:biggrin:

I aint against anything you said over there, Zerk,not at all. Just maybe looking it from bit different angle.

And i do art builds too, forgive me. They are rarity in this firum to see,sadly, and iam simple hick refusing to believe that its waste of time to post em here, waiting for much of comments, just like i rarely find anything to say about some purely-for-performance builds, in which i see...like nothing ?

I just like them so called art builds and miss seeing more of em in battles but its made impossible to do well with em in ncke combat as al realism and such are forgotten in game design i guess. So its the contraptions that success. Sadly:015j:

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6

11 minutes ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

And i mean terrains that arent paved/hard "real" roads.

I do agree , and vote for trucks going up to lets say 100kmh on hard road-like places, easily but in offroad combat, without it being insanely bumpy to fight well?  No...they need to stop or slow down.

Again, those mechanics are already in-place, and limit your Practical speed.  When you hit a bump, or turn, you lose a little speed, and that's fine.  I'm just saying that the Base Stat, governing Icebox, a Peterbuilt, to 44 MPH would basically make our entire country grind to a halt.  

So, rather than limit them bottom up, so that it's impossible for a Perterbuilt to drive at highway speeds, they should use the mechanics that are already in place, to limit maneuverability, and Accuracy, at speed, in turns, on uneven surfaces.

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

I get that, however, 62 Miles Per Hour is far too slow.  Even if we accept that the entire game was nerfed because Hovers were too hard to hit (Which is absurd) it was nerfed down to far too slow

That's been a noted issue that the devs are ignoring.

45 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

Okay, but the gap below that hard cap doesn't have to be that far.  Light Cabin (And Torero) = 100 Km/H.  Medium Cabin is anywhere from 90-to-70.  That's a 20 Km/H range so that Heavy Cabins don't break the speed limit in a school zone.

You ever been on a Highway?  You ever been passed by a fully loaded Tractor Trailer with a backhoe on a flatbed out back?  Yeah, 55MpH (That's 88 Km/H) is a reasonable speed limit.  

60 is too slow.  For anything, in this game.  On Tracks, that makes sense, but on Cabins?  No cabin should ever be limited to 60Km/H.  

Again, that's an already noted issue.

With the speed caps, wheeled builds are the only ones who are have to deal with cabin max speed limits.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIGMA920 said:

With the speed caps, wheeled builds are the only ones who are have to deal with cabin max speed limits.

60Km/H<75Km/H.  Also, Light Tracks can do>60Km/H.

So basically, heavy cabin Speed Caps affect everything except for Mecha Legs, Meat Grinders, Armored Tracks, and Goliaths.  (Even Meat Grinders, and Armored Tracks with Golden Eagle, that doesn't have enough +Top Speed to do 70 with a Heavy Cabin.)

I don't expect this to be fixed.  This is just a kvetch/rant thread.  I said that, in the first sentence of the OP.

One thing you guys forgot is the "cabin rework" that took away a lot of speed and acceleration. Everything was faster before that.

And this is a medium cab build in crossout, maybe even a light one - skip to 3:30 to see a comparison to real life car sizes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fftunes4real said:

Kamaz Dakar

Yeah, that's a Trophy Truck.  The Brest-Dakar-Brest rally is basically the Eurasian Baja 1,000.  Kamaz is a truck company, like Ford.  ^That's their Trophy Truck.  You're basically comparing an F650 to a Mustng on a Bronco II chassis.  Or a pickup truck to the GT-40.

When i said "Kamaz" I ment the ubiquitous Russian military heavy truck they use to tote around IRBMs, and stuff.  In the same sentence that I mentioned the Deuce and a Half.  Both of them will still do twice as fast as 40 MPH top speed.

5 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

60Km/H<75Km/H.  Also, Light Tracks can do>60Km/H.

So basically, heavy cabin Speed Caps affect everything except for Mecha Legs, Meat Grinders, Armored Tracks, and Goliaths.  (Even Meat Grinders, and Armored Tracks with Golden Eagle, that doesn't have enough +Top Speed to do 70 with a Heavy Cabin.)

I don't expect this to be fixed.  This is just a kvetch/rant thread.  I said that, in the first sentence of the OP.

Movement part speed caps override the max speeds of cabins.

Just now, SIGMA920 said:

Movement part speed caps override the max speeds of cabins.

Yes, if the movement parts are slower than the cabins, but not if they're faster.  You can't put wheels on a Humpback, and expect it to go faster, unless you use an Engine with +Max Speed.  Likewise, you can put on an engine that adds Max Cabin Speed, but unless it's Golden Eagle (On Tracks, and Augers) it doesn't over-ride movement parts.  you have to be a little more specific with a statement like that.

• Upvote 1

This:

C7A399019FB836F76A8650DF04E455C40724412A

Is a supercar, with a cheetah, and rocket boosters, topping out at 171 Km/H.  (Note, the cans are overheating, and almost dry)  On the highway, I had to take my hand off the WASD to snap the screen shot.

Look, a tandem Tractor/Trailer, hauling 2 Trailers, fully loaded can do that, on the highway.  Granted, it's speeding, but that's absolutely the fastest you can go, without exploding.

That's too slow.

everything is this game is too slow imo and also wheels loose practically all grip when using boosters making it almost impossible to turn at high speed. fix that pliz devs :)

• Upvote 1

yeah i've always thought wheels weren't fast enough, and honestly any car you build drives like a brick, im unsure if anyone at targem has ever driven any car before, to be honest.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

are you seriously implying that if an unhinged speed-junkie, in the apocalypse, were to steal an armored vehicle, he wouldn't go over the speed limit? Evel Knievel's first wheelie was on an earthmover. He crashed it into the city's main power line. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Godofredo205 said:

yeah i've always thought wheels weren't fast enough, and honestly any car you build drives like a brick, im unsure if anyone at targem has ever driven any car before, to be honest.

are you seriously implying that if an unhinged speed-junkie, in the apocalypse, were to steal an armored vehicle, he wouldn't go over the speed limit? Evel Knievel's first wheelie was on an earthmover. He crashed it into the city's main power line. 

I was more like thinking of how bumpy, uncontrolled and difficult the fast speed with a heavy cab should be, including how all the crosshairs etc should bounce like mad on high speed truck in a bumpy wasteland map. Sure, on even terrain you can go fast and aim etc easy. 

2 minutes ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

I was more like thinking of how bumpy, uncontrolled and difficult the fast speed with a heavy cab should be, including how all the crosshairs etc should bounce like mad on high speed truck in a bumpy wasteland map. Sure, on even terrain you can go fast and aim etc easy. 

I was thinking more about on the Highway, albeit one in disrepair decades after the State stopped sending out road crews of Trusties to pick up the litter/wrecked cars.

Heavy Cabins are limited Top-Down, which means even under ideal conditions, the fastest they can go (With Cheetah, and Hans) is 78 (that's 48.5 Miles per Hour)  There's physics to throw your aim off, and lose power momentarily when you hit a bump, and lose traction/shake your crosshairs.  There's also Recoil to do the same thing, try driving forward with 2 Reapers going, and then turn.  See what happens.

The problem is that these already work, on top of the woefully slow Top Speeds, so that Cohort (With Hans, and Cheetah) struggles to get from 0-60, even without the Reapers warmed up.  

• Upvote 1

I don't know why everything is so slow. But I know that making everyone be able to achieve higher top speeds would help with giving readily available counterplay to hovers. This will probably buff W+M1 shotgun or fire builds a lot though, so you might have to nerf something there to counteract.