poony4u2

Adaptable builds

I know a few people here work on the principle that it’s better to build one good car and become very familiar with the handling, and then just swap weapons when you get bored.

I always have one car designed for that, depending on what my current cabin/movement part obsession is. (I also keep a cannon car, and a machine gun car for daily challenges).

Here’s my current Swiss Army Knife car:

IMG_2658.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

I know a few people here work on the principle that it’s better to build one good car and become very familiar with the handling, and then just swap weapons when you get bored.

I always have one car designed for that, depending on what my current cabin/movement part obsession is. (I also keep a cannon car, and a machine gun car for daily challenges).

IMG_2658.JPG

Not a bad template for a modular vehicle. I like your posts and your attitude my guy. Keep up the good work! I hope to see you at the top PS on PS4 sometime! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

This one sits around 9000PS, depending on the weapons.

I build it around Arothrons because they’re the hardest to fit into a build among my regular 4-energy weapons, but I can even fit three Spikes on there, or two Phoenixes (plus a scope and a Lancelot).

I keep a collection of lots of weapons I can swap in: emily, adaptor, summator, trigger, rapier, etc. Keeps it interesting, but I don’t have to spend so much time adjusting to a new ride.

edit: I can’t believe I forgot the word modular (I was searching for the right term for this approach). I love modular synths.

Here’s the back view:

IMG_2660.JPG

Edited by poony4u2

My current main build is one of those, it works with IMP's, with Joules, with Gravastars, and the latest I tested, even with Reapers 

But with that, I mantain is better to have one build of each "class" just in case 

• Upvote 2

I don't quite have it so that i can just swap weapons in, and out.  I still have to adjust some heavy peices, or swap them for lighter versions.  (For example Bus Panels instead of Small Assembly Sections)

E76E9B65536548AEE9728FEF4D8A2E5BBE71FC75

I always play with an Incinerator.  The difference is what I have with it, but that leaves 6-10 Energy to swap around.  There's an Apollo under that there Armored Hatch, but I can swap the Colossus for a Hot Red, and it'll accept a Reaper.  (Also, a Listener for the Maxwell, and a Radio.)  Right now, it's "Ring Shank" in Exhibition, with Nail Guns.  Also works with:  Joules, Arbiters, Helios, Triggers, Nighoggs, and practically any other reasonably powerful side-arm that costs 4 Energy.  (You want to put in a Seal or 2 for the Arbiters.)  

1800ish Cabin Health is enough, if I don't Face tank, but I tend to start off lobbing over hard cover.  So, I don't have to expose myself to get the party started.

Edited by psiberzerker

That’s an interesting approach to modular build: one heavy weapon, with room to change the secondary. I like the concept!

4 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

That’s an interesting approach to modular build: one heavy weapon, with room to change the secondary. I like the concept!

It's usually 2 Secondaries.  1 Reaper, I might be able to fit a Mandrake on there some day, but it'll be top-heavy.  The front end is also a tertiary weapon, I can ram for 4-500 damage on a good hit.  So, basically a Bayonet.

I love my Incinerator, though.  I'm real tempted to dump enough cash in to Fuse it.

I thought the incinerator heating rate buff made no sense, but today I noticed that I can’t get away with driving through fire puddles fast as easily as before, which makes them better at area denial. 
Definitely making some more soon. I think I’ve owned and sold at least four by now, but keep coming back to them.

19 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

I thought the incinerator heating rate buff made no sense, but today I noticed that I can’t get away with driving through fire puddles fast as easily as before, which makes them better at area denial. 
Definitely making some more soon. I think I’ve owned and sold at least four by now, but keep coming back to them.

Yeah, the heating rate is a lot more significant for just 1.  I tried selling mine, lasted about a week.  I tried using 2 too, but 4 Energy isn't really enough for a Support weapon.  About the closest I got was a Helios with Photon.  I like Howl better, because it's so light, you can actually get a lot of Armor on there to make up for it.  (Along with heavy Modules like Incinerator, Apollo, Colossus...)

Edited by psiberzerker

I dont have any myself, all of my builds are optimized for a certain weapon

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, poony4u2 said:

nice! good choice, dont have that cabin but its fast and I like it! you probably like evasive driving too. good points about the handling, I feel this is pretty important for wheel builds. :) 

7 minutes ago, zengerz66 said:

nice! good choice, dont have that cabin but its fast and I like it! you probably like evasive driving too. good points about the handling, I feel this is pretty important for wheel builds. :) 

I swear it takes me at least five matches to adjust to handling differences between builds. I don’t need any time to adjust to weapon changes. 

I had been mostly running cheetah with griffon for the insane speed and the cloak recharging, but this build doesn’t rely on cloak as much, so I went with Oppressor so that I get the reload bonus (a lot of four energy weapons benefit from that), and so that I can put enough hidden armour on there to compete at this PS and still maintain speed. I find Cheetah slows down too  much with weight.

10 hours ago, poony4u2 said:

I swear it takes me at least five matches to adjust to handling differences between builds. I don’t need any time to adjust to weapon changes. 

I had been mostly running cheetah with griffon for the insane speed and the cloak recharging, but this build doesn’t rely on cloak as much, so I went with Oppressor so that I get the reload bonus (a lot of four energy weapons benefit from that), and so that I can put enough hidden armour on there to compete at this PS and still maintain speed. I find Cheetah slows down too  much with weight.

Yeah I understand that part, I prefer driving my 1 and only wheelbuild; even though I have 4 or 5 slightly different variations from it; and then I swap to a whole other build like a hover or something else; depends on what I have. Switching between hover and wheel builds needs a little bit of adjusting for me too. 
About the weapons indeed, I dont care what weapon I use; it is much more linear in adapting to it. Sometimes L1, sometimes R1 or use them seperated which I actually prefer for tactical choices.

If you play wheels, you probably play it due to the speed being able to be around 100; with this speed you need precision steering and control over your car without crashing or drifting into walls. Driving into walls is a bit of a deathwish in many cases. 
Having good control over your wheelbuild makes you a danger for others.

Nice about the oppressor, I have one also. I liked to pair it with a cannon, keep moving for the evasiveness and reload bonus without a cloack.

I still have such a ride on my list to make, but I put all my coins I earned in clanwar builds and performing stuff... 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, xCrossFaith said:

But with that, I mantain is better to have one build of each "class" just in case

That eats up at least 3 blueprint slots. That's a rather large downside compared to using modular builds.

14 minutes ago, SIGMA920 said:

That eats up at least 3 blueprint slots. That's a rather large downside compared to using modular builds.

Eh.. I have enough space for all the builds I want to make/try, blueprint slots for now are not a problem 

3 minutes ago, xCrossFaith said:

Eh.. I have enough space for all the builds I want to make/try, blueprint slots for now are not a problem 

I've got enough too but I like to experiment. Unless I want to remove some of my saved blueprints (Which I can't because of the two default exhibition I lost.), I'd have to delete the builds I've saved that are simply for fun or convenience to save such experiments.

17 minutes ago, SIGMA920 said:

I was so happy when they expanded the garage and exhibition slots. I use my exhibition for rides I’m not currently into, but don’t want to throw away just yet. I keep one ride for cannon days (so I don’t have to do major rebuilding for ammo packs), and one that has coolers/rads for machineguns/shotguns.

However, I can do all the challenges in the modular car if I want to, since some of the founders weapons qualify for challenges without needing the support modules of conventional weapons.

23 minutes ago, SIGMA920 said:

For me, it's getting used to the handling all over again, in combat, when I change Builds.  Blueprint slots are a problem, but honestly, I always pretty much used the same thing for Raids, and PvP, because I got sick of driving different in The War for Fire than I did for Get the Wires!  

The only other option is getting in Test Mode, and running a few laps so you don't have to adapt In Combat.  That was the main thing, I'd get into Sandy Gulf, and realize that I don't have Jade in the Cabin, so my Apollo is making my back end too heavy.  Again.

You think, maybe this is why you see so many players running into walls?  Maybe they just plonked a Little Boy on top of their car for Cannon Day, and all of a sudden their Shotgun Wedge is squirrely in the corners.  I've seen that exact build, with the Buggy Floors, and the Fenders to protect the 2 Shotguns they took off, so they could mount a Turret Cannon, and knock out a few dailies.

Oh yeah, and every single day, we have to do X number of battles with a Machinegun, Shotgun, or Cannon.  That's another thing that having at least 1 Modular design is good for:  Not taking up half your Blueprint slots, just for that.

Edited by psiberzerker

15 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

I was so happy when they expanded the garage and exhibition slots. I use my exhibition for rides I’m not currently into, but don’t want to throw away just yet. I keep one ride for cannon days (so I don’t have to do major rebuilding for ammo packs), and one that has coolers/rads for machineguns/shotguns.

However, I can do all the challenges in the modular car if I want to, since some of the founders weapons qualify for challenges without needing the support modules of conventional weapons.

I use my exhibition slots for much of the same reason and I have 11 builds saved there for the 9 exhibition slots I currently have. They should have just uped players with a default of 4 to a default of 8 and left those with a default of 8 at 8 instead of making everyone's default 6 (I'm sitting on multiple upgrades or overhauls that I can't save in the exhibition in my garage.).

I don't usually post my ugly but effective builds here, because they're ugly.

8AC445D915090488137A4B1040631A19B6E7757D

But this is probably going to get the Remedies I'm waiting on the market for.  Handles identically to the one I posted above (With Jade)  I call them "Bull Dogs" because of the Horns.

Just because I don't, doesn't mean that I can't.  It's not on Exhibition.

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Upvote 1

I started getting into augers right around the time they announced hovers were gonna be scraping the ground, just to prove a point. But I've grown so fond of them I haven't built anything but augers in the past few months.

Partly due to how augers work and partly due to laziness, I reuse this base for nearly every one. 

RNFetchBlobTmp_7jd9o0xooopqy8wwyf1hz.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_ekcfptq7jagm7wbgyybst.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_rjlp29837pj6xwuylqjd7b.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, *j2eaLish said:

Partly due to how augers work and partly due to laziness, I reuse this base for nearly every one. 

7500 Kilograms below the level of the Deck is a good way to balance them out.  I haven't tried them with Echo, but the Top Speeds match up (With Golden Eagle, which is fairly interchangeable)  

Tracks, and Augers are really good for this "Platform" approach.  Due to how they work.

Echo makes a world of difference, if you can manage to balance the weight out. At 15k Kg, on two augers, I bully wedges, outmaneuver bastions, topple goliaths, and smash everyone else into dust.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, *j2eaLish said:

I started getting into augers right around the time they announced hovers were gonna be scraping the ground, just to prove a point. But I've grown so fond of them I haven't built anything but augers in the past few months.

RNFetchBlobTmp_ekcfptq7jagm7wbgyybst.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_rjlp29837pj6xwuylqjd7b.jpg

Love it!

I’m getting back into meatgrinders lately, and seeing other people in battles finally figuring out how to drive them gracefully.