Claysdad

Why is the "grind" considered a good thing?

I'd say "Too much of a good thing, at best."  Some grind gives you a feel of Progression.  You start off with commons, and work your way up to more/better weapons.

This particular grind, though.  It's just too repetititititve.  Day after day of 2-3 minute matches just kinda run together.  

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Claysdad said:

The grind deters new players. I started around Halloween of 19' with another friend. We both avged 20-25hrs of playing a week. He eventually burned out after 3 months. I have approached numerous others about playing. Everyone likes idea of a free game but only 1 has decided to play. The idea that it will take them 6+ months of serious grinding or hundreds of dollars to play competitively with me makes it not worth the cost.

If the current grind deters them then it's for the best that they don't keep playing for much longer. I started playing in 2017 when the grind was much much worse. The knight rider events had to be started specifically to give resources a value that was actually worth something because until then they weren't and it was a nightmare getting your first rare. The grind has overall gotten lesser over time.

They also are looking at the game the wrong way, Crossout isn't a competitive game and I don't enjoy playing in competitive modes specifically because of this. I play to have fun, any grinding I do is to have more fun.

31 minutes ago, Claysdad said:

I understand everyone up til now has grinded. I understand the grind used to be worse. So what. The game would be better for all if the grind was optional. Some enjoy raids and daily objectives. Many abhor them. Make the game new player friendly. Make it MUCH easier to get into playing CW in a semi competitive manner. Make it where Crossout is a game that people want to play, both old and new alike

It is new player friendly already. You used to be thrown in the deep end without any guidance of note and then had to learn how to swim on your own.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Because it's a thing that people think they don't want...but they actually do. Simply put, if progression occurred too quickly, people would lose interest in the game.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Upvote 1

I assume you are talking about "grind" in general and not in this game, because it's one of the most critisized parts of it, but grind can be good when done right... I think there are 3 types of grind: 

1- The good grind, example: Warframe, yes it can take a while for some things, but you have variety in int, multiple modes to play, multiple options and weapons AND the important thing, you can grind multiple resources in the same mission

2- The "well... Could be worse" grind, example: Ghost Recon Phantoms (r.i.p one of my fav games :( ) , same as above, could take a bit for the higher end weapons and attachments, it was a TRUE pay to win game, in the sense that for real money, you could get weapons with more damage, lighter armor with better protection etc. BUT if you were half good, you could outclass those guys with the base equipment, and you could easily get 2 or 3 new weapons or a fully well equiped weapon in a couple playing sessions (let's say 2-3 hours each) 

3- The "oh come the xxxx on" grind. example: Crossout, the problem here imho is not the grind itself, but that you can only grind one thing each time, paired with the time gates, want to grind a material? Wait if you reached the cap, want to grind to craft another faction? Wait, want to grind to craft multiple items? Wait for each of them etc...  This has plenty of room to improve

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Steel_Artist said:

if progression occurred too quickly, people would lose interest in the game.

This is true but only to a certain degree, after that its just slowing down the progression so people have to play your game longer or pay and thats exactly the business model here.

The problem is this leads to a small group of high paying customers while the rest gets screwed over instead of trying to make the game accesable for as many people as possible so you get a lot people paying a little bit.
This way you get a much greater playerbase because its easier to progress without the need to invest and the people who do invest are not a "better" class of customers.

• Upvote 4

Grind only exists if you don’t like playing the game. For me, I just log on, have some fun, and before I know it I have the resources for a new toy to keep it interesting. Where is the grind?

If you could get everything right away, it would feel like shopping with someone else’s credit card, instead of earning your treasures.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Clebardman said:

Grind is generally defended by people who already grinded and think the world should suffer if they suffered, and by timmies who go /all items and get tired of games after 5 mins of shooting every gun in the first level.

edit: also can we take a minute to celebrate my promotion to "living legend"?

Hats off. Congrats!

It's person preference.. I like grinding because I like having something to work towards.. when I don't I get bored and see no reason to play

• Confused 1

Imagine, starting a job at tesla as the janitor and being paid as much as elon musk because you feel you shouldnt have to work as hard as he did. What a compelling, libtard arguement

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Babylonsburning said:

Imagine, starting a job at tesla as the janitor and being paid as much as elon musk because you feel you shouldnt have to work as hard as he did. What a compelling, libtard arguement

Imagine starting where ever as the janitor, working your way up for 40 years having a high manager job when you leave and still getting payed a janitor wage.

Or compared to XO even worse, getting payed less and less over the years.

Edited by Beni_Stingray1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Babylonsburning said:

Elon Musk was born rich, bad example.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

Elon Musk was born rich, bad example.

Yes, but he actually did a lot with his fortune, instead of locking it away, and living off the Interest.  

He started his own Space Agency.  Out of pocket.  Hammer Industries was filmed at his factory.  The only thing he could have done to be any cooler (In a nerdy kinda way) is to fight crime, and international terrorism with weapons of his own design.  He beat out Deiter Meier for one of the good ones, in my book.

Edited by psiberzerker

3 minutes ago, psiberzerker said:

Yes, but he actually did a lot with his fortune, instead of locking it away, and living off the Interest.  

Well, he bought ideas and companies, which is a fancy way of saying “living off the interest”.

We’re in the wasteland: we eat the rich now. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

We’re in the wasteland: we eat the rich now. 

We ran out of them a couple decades ago, but it was pretty sweet while they lasted.

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, psiberzerker said:

I'd say "Too much of a good thing, at best."  Some grind gives you a feel of Progression.  You start off with commons, and work your way up to more/better weapons.

This particular grind, though.  It's just too repetititititve.  Day after day of 2-3 minute matches just kinda run together.  

I agree that to a certain degree, a grind is good to keep the game changing for individual players. At first you have only 3 kinds of weapons, but as you play you get more and more options.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Claysdad said:

I understand the grind used to be worse.

Some people just love the game too much to see it objectively. Don't trust those people.

Even if some things got easier over time, devs always found a way to make the grind worse again.

• Upvote 2

Just now, fftunes4real said:

Some people just love the game too much to see it objectively. Don't trust those people.

Other players hate the game (They keep playing) too much to view it objectively...

Edited by psiberzerker

2 hours ago, Babylonsburning said:

Imagine, you go into the forum for a silly hot wheels car game with guns. You read a thread. That thread says that people should not have to play the game for years to get the best items in the game. This is outrageous!! You WILL NOT stand for such liberal censorship! You are hero among the sheeple! They want all the rich people to go to jail! You will defeat them and be everyone’s hero!!!*

You sure #owned the libs this time!

But really, how do you politicize the forum for a game that’s literally about RC cars.

*All opinions stated here are not owned by the poster and are not condoned nor embraced by me. It’s a joke.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Jiffy_boi said:

Imagine, you go into the forum for a silly hot wheels car game with guns. You read a thread. That thread says that people should not have to play the game for years to get the best items in the game. This is outrageous!! You WILL NOT stand for such liberal censorship! You are hero among the sheeple! They want all the rich people to go to jail! You will defeat them and be everyone’s hero!!!*

You sure #owned the libs this time!

But really, how do you politicize the forum for a game that’s literally about RC cars.

*All opinions stated here are not owned by the poster and are not condoned nor embraced by me. It’s a joke.

As much as I hate libtards, you have a  point mate. Even if the grind has considerably lessened over the years, it's still quite the task. I can manage to craft epics and below easily, legendaries will take some time, but I'm sorry, relics take AGES to craft, I see the requirements and get demotivsted right away lol.but theres no denying it's not as grindy as it previously was 

The game is significantly less grindy for new players than it was a year ago. Top level weapons take forever to get, but they should. There are plenty of mid-level weapons that compete with them.

The grind is in your mind.

27 minutes ago, afghanaryan said:

As much as I hate libtards, you have a  point mate. Even if the grind has considerably lessened over the years, it's still quite the task. I can manage to craft epics and below easily, legendaries will take some time, but I'm sorry, relics take AGES to craft, I see the requirements and get demotivsted right away lol.but theres no denying it's not as grindy as it previously was 

Keep in mind that COD Warzone came out nearly 4 months ago and the sweaty career players are at the top. 

56 minutes ago, poony4u2 said:

The grind is in your mind.

Nope, the grind is real. How else would you get people to spend money on a free to play game. 

• Upvote 4