Siberian_Jay3x6

Race car on some kind of budget, basics for us clueless ones.

@Siberian_Jay3x6 Well it's not going to win against a 12 Hermes Tusk BF monster with no armor to be fair :p. It does win its fair amount of races and almost nevers ends below 4th place th.
Studded with CK, yep.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

Too bad theres no drag strip or a marked track as we tried still to launch races,driving along the maps borders. 

If you get a bunch of friends together, you can use the highway on the Adventure map (Blood Rocks) for drag races.

• Thanks 1

Wow, lots of really good tips in this thread. Thanks for starting this discussion. I am bookmarking this one. My racer is still very much a work in progress. It is approximately Starsky & Hutch's Gran Torino themed. Increasingly "approximately" I should add. Last time there were races (last week Friday that I am aware of) I actually did squeek into 4th place a few times. That made me really happy.

I did consider placing boosters vertically close to the CoM from a point of view of avoiding the nose digging in or flipping up backwards, but hadn't thought of placing them in front of the CoM to help keep the thing straight. I shall have to try that. Maintaining control can be a problem sometimes. As well as differential thrust to help in turning.

The discussion on the wheels is very helpful. I knew that your car would tend to blow up somewhere about 200 km/h but didn't know why. I hadn't considered ground clearance as a factor in wheel choice.

Question: I realize that boosters are what give you most of your speed in races. So would it be valid to assume that a cabin's power (3/10, 5/10, whatever) is less important than its overall weight and rated top speed (100 km/h)? In other words: go for the lightest cabin that can do 100 km/h unboosted? Or is there a scenario in which switching to a heavier cabin with more power would be useful? For example a torrero or a Griffon.

Regards, C.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CeeDee_2 said:

I did consider placing boosters vertically close to the CoM from a point of view of avoiding the nose digging in or flipping up backwards, but hadn't thought of placing them in front of the CoM to help keep the thing straight. I shall have to try that. Maintaining control can be a problem sometimes. As well as differential thrust to help in turning.

If you place the boosters low, and far enough forward, with more weight high, and to the rear, you can literally fly.  However, you pretty much have nothing but the Boosters for control, you have to know where all the Invisible Walls are so you don't hit them, and cash.  Also, you have to come down for the Gates, because flying over them doesn't count.  However, I have seen "Gliders" in race mode, and I've even seen them do well.

Question: I realize that boosters are what give you most of your speed in races. So would it be valid to assume that a cabin's power (3/10, 5/10, whatever) is less important than its overall weight and rated top speed (100 km/h)? In other words: go for the lightest cabin that can do 100 km/h unboosted? Or is there a scenario in which switching to a heavier cabin with more power would be useful? For example a Torero or a Griffon.

It's up to you, I chose Howl, because it's the lightest (400 Kilos) with 12 energy.  I also used Blastoffs, and Hot Red, because they're lighter.  This reflects MY strategy, and the way I play it.  I have seen heavier cars with more decor win, and I haven't won (1st place) a single race yet.

However, the OP was about affordable Budget racers, with wheels.  It's very much a Skilled>Build situation, and you will be beaten by players who've been doing this for years in slower heavier cars.  Because they've been doing this for years.

Torero, and Griffon are great cabins, and make great cars.  I have no reason to think they're bad choices.  Trucker, or Docker would be bad choices, and I've seen a Docker Art Car win.  (Actually, it might have been a WWT1)

Edited by psiberzerker

@CeeDee_2

1/ Do you use full steering wheels? Or just front steering?

2/Being light and small are the most interesting perks IMO. 100 kmh ain't that useful, and for that same reason I usually skip engines. On a budget, Sprinter totally does the job. Otherwise Growl's a fine cab. There'll soon be a cab wich makes boosters more efficient too.

35 minutes ago, Clebardman said:

@CeeDee_2

1/ Do you use full steering wheels? Or just front steering?

On my racer I use just front steering and rear fixed. On my "bot fighting" builds I usually have 6 wheels with front and rear steering and the middle fixed.

Regards, C.

1 hour ago, Clebardman said:

Being light and small are the most interesting perks IMO. 100 kmh ain't that useful, and for that same reason I usually skip engines. On a budget, Sprinter totally does the job. Otherwise Growl's a fine cab. There'll soon be a cab wich makes boosters more efficient too.

I use Hot Red with Howl to maneuver between Boosts, because Howl is limited to 90Km/H.  Your build/my build, but it has more to do with How I Race than anything.  I Boost, Turn, and Boost/Turn, depending on the Turn.  For example, right out the gate on Rock City, there's the end of the ramp to the Bridge, that half the field crashes into, and explodes, because they Boost too long out the gate.  You know the one?

Well, my first priority is to not crash, and explode right out the gate.  It puts me ahead of everyone that does, but for this Power, Acceleration, and Top Speed make a difference.  I'm not going through every turn, on every map, but with experience, you'll learn which ones you Boost to, turn, then Boost out of the turn.  Which ones you coast up to, and Boost/Turn (Some players call this "Drift" but drifting doesn't involve rockets)  through.

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Thanks 1

With this i want to thank all you people who shared your constructive tips .

My 2nd Race attempt, the 1st one i messed up badly myself,being 6th but atleast i managed to not blowup my precious ride. Did both races some 10 minutes ago.

Crossout-20200718001324.jpg

Yeah it only 3rd place but it means to me.

1695ps , 114kmh , 1590/5030kg , 220 durability, Duster, Cheetah,blue flares,2 x blastoff, 2 x aviators,  and driving lights are naturally aerodynamic.

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Siberian_Jay3x6 said:

Crossout-20200718001324.jpg

That reaction says "Thanks" but it's really "Congratulations!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dang i liked the racing and as i had some 3+ hrs to do it, it kept getting better. After adding one 1x6 frame block to front to extend the wheelbase by that much, to make car a tad less prone to spin, and few tiny mods, i was quite able to be from first to 4th place, getting good pile of the Race medals too and received the badge for 9 races with 4th place or better.

I can see how much better races would be if hovers raced in their own series ,though. 

2 times i felt a bit sorry for 2 players who did their best with tiny tiny pickup and duster, both having 4 bumbers and i managed to whisper(?) to the other one to remove them as they weight a ton, a big percentage in as small build as possible, and he appeared later without bumbers and with a hardcore he had managed to get by buying some cheap pack,insomnia during racing :D

But yes , im sure  i'll be spending all possible race time at the track. 

Too bad i have zero skills to post any videos here.

• Upvote 1

@Siberian_Jay3x6 Not gonna post pics, but since you're on ps4 you can look up one of mine, search "ffx bigracer" or just "ffx" and look through what i got (minus the re-uploads from other people), it's not really a dedicated racer, more a stunt car but i still like the looks of it... That said i have a newer version but i struggle to delete builds from exhib that reached a bunch of likes. :)

PS: not really "on a budget" though but i thought you might like the looks.

Edited by fftunes4real
  • Upvote 1

meta race build without hovers looks something like this 

image.png.244c816cb5b098ef986289e00897e6

image.png.fa784155ed9411b68b912b2e68d521

You can use all blue boosters and blue wheels if you want, plus replace harpy with growl, etc, if you dont have the budget

The sideways boosters are extremely important so you are able to drift and actually turn on bends

also if your race build looks like an actual car its not an actual race build its just an art build

• Sad 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

if your race build looks like an actual car its not an actual race build its just an art build

Oh, come on, man.  Seriously, is this all you even bother to come on the forum for any more, is to lie to people?

You can't even come up with a plausible lie?  I know it says "Clueless" in the title, but you're not even trying to hide the fact that you just want to ruin this game, for everyone now.  

Edited by psiberzerker
  • Thanks 2

I would personally just use the corrida pack car, the one that comes with torero, and slap on a few boosters on the sides and back, and replace the rear twin wheels with studded or chained, because you  get one of the fastest cans along with the fastest engine, cheetah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, afghanaryan said:

I would personally just use the corrida pack car, the one that comes with torero, and slap on a few boosters on the sides and back, and replace the rear twin wheels with studded or chained, because you  get one of the fastest cans along with the fastest engine, cheetah

Yep, thats where my cab is from, the Corrida pack.

I've been using Sprinter, Howl and Torero cabs for racing attempts and as this thread is for budget builds, i like to keep it that way. I have 2 purple boosters but to my likings they might be too bulky and their prices aint so fitting for budget thread and as i can manage to be on top 4 often enough ( to qualify in the brawl challenges) with white/blue boosters, i use them, especially in pics i post in this thread.

Theres always the freedom, to one whos interested enough, to start his own race build thread dedicated for meta and limitless budget racers, even for hover variety, but here its just budget jalopies on wheels:014:

And i for one like them to look something i can look and like instead of meta which wont even reward me enough for 1 race to justify investing much in game mode that isnt permanently going on, so i cant race all day every day if i wanted to.

I've seen quite many really good looking huge race cars too,offcourse but seeing em carry dozen of purple boosters just dont fit the budget aspect of this thread, not at all. I do believe many veteran players either intentionally or intentionally try to forget what "budget build" might mean to new people etc, and as to them getting fistfull of purples is only nickles spent, the point of view is not even remotely close to something i'd call a budget build. And i bet they do it on purpose.

By the way, im hoping the new, dedicated race track to be far more tight,narrow and sort of technical slalom/drift one ,something wheeled ,small builds are good to go with but i dislike idea of gates being removed or widened. Accurate moves, i like em.

As for  "(only/just an) art build" word ,i'd love to discuss its definition but im quite sure about it being a topic so many cant handle at all, without topic getting washed down the drain in to memes and to rude non-intellectual  ,non-constructive barking,as sadly thats how too many writers act here. Thats why i cant/wont reply to some comments as im guessing the dialogue will only turn in to mindless ,narrowminded win-at-any-cost biased slandering without even trying to understand theres also other approaches and mindsets (and....budgets).

But i guess as the new Mobi 935 pack comes ', im getting that deluxe version anyways, and see what i can build from it, yet keeping it looking it somewhat good-ish and if any, compact sized. Too bad that fusing wheels the way i want em to, is so pricey roll of a dice, and same thing goes with boosters so i think they wont be upgraded in any near future. Having racing to be a permanent, open 24-7 thing would offcourse change it.

Theres so much devs could do for racing, starting from offering dedicated racing modules ,engines,wheels and cabs, and by offering non-stop racing option with zero hovers. Thats also why i named the thread using word Car.

Edited by Siberian_Jay3x6

Let me introduce you to my montruosity of a car :

1526418416_screenshot-200812-000155(-130

I built it with only one objective, never being able to be destroyed well going full speed and I managed to pull it off.

I got 2 steering BF at the front of the build to ward off any nose diving and 2 normal ones at the center back to brace the impact of bumps. The hovers are only there to keep the balance of my build, flip me when I'm on the ground and help me steering. It can go any speed it wants as long as I don't crash on walls or try to climb up a big hill.

2128753789_screenshot-200812-000159(-145

Getting accustomed to sharps turns is really difficult but when you get used to the race maps getting 4th place and above is quite easy.

The only problem is that the fuel needed is really high so you want to be pretty strategic with your placement throughout the race. The huge frame is also quite a let down when you need to get past gates but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Do note that this isn't a budget car but not an incredibly expensive one too. It's medium I would say.

Edited by Elcarick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything we said is moot now that Targem broke the race mode, desrtroyed all the competition that isn't on BFs/hovers, and made exploding almost impossible unless you're a vegetable.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/7/2020 at 12:50 AM, Bobbill12345 said:

also if your race build looks like an actual car its not an actual race build its just an art build

Pretty much if any build looks like a real car then you did something wrong. Not just race. That’s just not how this game works.

You have the group of people that understand that. Then you have the other 90% that complain need this and that because they just don’t know how to play the game.

Edited by RoughMonkey
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Bobbill12345 said:

image.png.a9655eda4e652dfda0f153fc0651d3

This looks like a winner. I don’t even race and I’m going to try this thing out.

• Thanks 1