[Developer blog] New season in Crossout. Part 1: the return of the map “Fortress” and a legendary rocket launcher

Woodyrojo

9 hours ago, Clebardman said:

I'm quite puzzled at the rest tho. It doesn't look very lunatic, and doesn't behave like any other rocket launcher we had with its lack of drop. While not inherently a bad thing, people play Wasps/Pyralids/Locusts/Snowfalls/Crickets for the spray of lobbed rockets, and I find it very strange to implemented a first, long awaited legendary rocket launcher that plays more like Pulsars than anything else...

I love the idea of rockets with no drop, seems like a perfect choice for the first rotary RL. And it reminds me of the old Anacondas that were shooting straight flying rockets. I hope we get more rocket launchers like this in the future. I'd love one that would shoot a bigger rocket that would leave behind a puddle of fire.

Plus, the fact that you won't be able to arc the rockets over terrain and your own build might make the thing a little less usable on hovers, compared to all other launchers.

16 hours ago, _davekko_ said:

Maybe they could make it 5 energy, but make it work in a way that it works better if you only use two and lots of support modules and making it heavy in such a way it can only be used and armored in heavy cabins, restricting it use to maybe two guns and 5 modules.

So, you're suggesting making the fact it's a turreted weapon irrelevant? :014j:

No, let this rocket launcher actually be viable & actually be optimal w/ an open firing angle. If you want your rocket-brick, you already have plenty of limited-angle rocket launchers to choose from.

Edited by ShurikenStar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Funny i was told there was a 3 barrel rocket launcher comming into the game and all i could think of was a snowfall rotating one. Predicted and is anticipating a good fight against it even if i don't use it. I like testing my old antique builds and see if they still hold up to all the carnage haha. Most of my season weapons collect dust cause i wait for the right ones to come in for certian vehicles. But having the weapon on stand by if i needed it is always tactical way of living in this wasteland. Always good time. 

21 hours ago, untinman said:

I bet they will be able to evade these rockets so easily by randomly pressing Q and E.
Instead, heavy vehicles will be melted by them.

surely:DD

3 hours ago, ShurikenStar said:

So, you're suggesting making the fact it's a turreted weapon irrelevant? :014j:

No, let this rocket launcher actually be viable & actually be optimal w/ an open firing angle. If you want your rocket-brick, you already have plenty of limited-angle rocket launchers to choose from.

ok then, so what? make it have 100 durability and weight 150 kg? 

with "armor it" i meant that it is so heavy (but also durable), that you literally can't place any armor parts in your build if you aren't using a heavy cabin...

Edited by _davekko_
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, _davekko_ said:

with "armor it" i meant that it is so heavy (but also durable), that you literally can't place any armor parts in your build if you aren't using a heavy cabin...

The thing is with this being both turreted and having no projectile drop, that is surely going to come with a compromise to either durability or damage. 

1 hour ago, Steel_Artist said:

The thing is with this being both turreted and having no projectile drop, that is surely going to come with a compromise to either durability or damage. 

I think it should have very low damage but be more perk focused, so it could be used to trow melee, and “wedge” vehicles off allies with the extremely high impulse. 

Edited by _davekko_
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, _davekko_ said:

Really? Your only 2 options are making it as tough as a Mammoth or fragile as wet tissue paper? Even the Cricket is tougher than that. :014j: 

Take a look at cannons. Limited-angle cannons are less durable and lighter than their turreted counterparts, but have the benefit of costing 1 energy less (w/ the exceptions of Typhoon & Tsunami) and can be armored up w/ little to no loss in aiming effectiveness, which is what we already have with rockets. Now, using the same design principles between the 2 cannon form factors, that would mean that a turreted rocket launcher would have to be significantly more durable & heavier to take advantage of its superior firing angle, since it cannot be armored up without limiting its firing angle (which is the point of making it turreted in the first place). That would mean that the new rocket launcher will be significantly more durable than a Cricket (150 HP), but likely under that of the Snowfall (436 HP). I don't expect it to be as fragile as the Retcher (213 HP) either, as the nature of its projectiles make them difficult to land & would therefore be more vulnerable to return fire even within ideal range, like the Quasar (535 HP) or Pulsar (693 HP). Factoring all that, I estimate the new rocket launcher to have around 300-400 HP & weigh in around 500-600kg, which I think is quite reasonable (especially since I expect this to turn about as slow as a Quasar/Pulsar, even if it's a bit smaller).

Edited by ShurikenStar
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ShurikenStar said:

Now, using the same design principles between the 2 cannon form factors, that would mean that a turreted rocket launcher would have to be significantly more durable & heavier to take advantage of its superior firing angle, since it cannot be armored up without limiting its firing angle (which is the point of making it turreted in the first place).

This philosophy is only applied to Canons unfortunately. It's the opposite when machine guns (vectors, sinuses, spectres, etc) are compared to limited-angle machine guns (defenders, protectors, vindicators.)

4 minutes ago, PriorityOne said:

This philosophy is only applied to Canons unfortunately. It's the opposite when machine guns (vectors, sinuses, spectres, etc) are compared to limited-angle machine guns (defenders, protectors, vindicators.)

That is because those are not a valid comparison to rockets, since they're all hitscan weapons & turn instantly. MGs are a fundamentally different weapon archetype. Rocket launchers and cannons fire actual projectiles, which have to travel towards their targets, resulting in projectile drop with varying speeds. 

9 minutes ago, ShurikenStar said:

That is because those are not a valid comparison to rockets, since they're all hitscan weapons & turn instantly. MGs are a fundamentally different weapon archetype. Rocket launchers and cannons fire actual projectiles, which have to travel towards their targets, resulting in projectile drop with varying speeds. 

Limited angle canons have lower durability but can be hidden (armored) better than their turret canon brothers. Okay!

Limited angle machine guns have higher durability and can be hidden (armored) better than their turret machine gun brothers. What?

Why the discrepancy in design philosophy? Because the Devs in this game are so inconsistent in design application it's mind boggling.

3 hours ago, PriorityOne said:

Limited angle canons have lower durability but can be hidden (armored) better than their turret canon brothers. Okay!

Limited angle machine guns have higher durability and can be hidden (armored) better than their turret machine gun brothers. What?

Why the discrepancy in design philosophy? Because the Devs in this game are so inconsistent in design application it's mind boggling.

Indeed, but they at least got the cannon form factors right. Perhaps all turret MG durability should be buffed to +30-50% over their limited-angle counterparts, then maybe they'll actually be worth using over miniguns on occasion (altho they should also get a range buff to equal that of miniguns, tbh).

7 hours ago, ShurikenStar said:

Indeed, but they at least got the cannon form factors right. Perhaps all turret MG durability should be buffed to +30-50% over their limited-angle counterparts, then maybe they'll actually be worth using over miniguns on occasion (altho they should also get a range buff to equal that of miniguns, tbh).

it seems like both (limited and unlimited MG) cause the same damage, you chose between angle and durability

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.