Waltz (New Legendary Rocket Launcher) - Review

Veliaf_Hurtz

Waltz is a new rocket launcher which has the unique feature of being able to turn 360 degrees. Along with that it has a fairly fast reload speed and shoots spiraling rockets in a 3 shot volley. It uses 6 energy and has a pretty small size, similar to Retcher. I have some concerns however.

The gimmick of this weapon is that the barrels of the launcher have to spin up for about a second before you are able to fire. Once you fire; the rockets fly around unpredictably and very slow. All these factors combined make it incredibly hard to hit moving targets. I'd rank this weapon in the top 3 hardest to use weapons and I view myself as an experienced player. This last point may be an unpopular opinion but I think having the rockets fly in a straight line is a downside. Arcing rockets allow you to shoot behind cover and with how low health this weapon is, thats needed.

Aside from the difficulty, if we compare this weapon to similar weapons it loses in most aspects. The most similar weapon in terms of mechanics is probably Snowfall. Snowfall however has way more health, comparable damage and is Epic tier. Another weapon we can compare is Retcher. It has the same formfactor. However Waltz has less health and way less damage output even though both are legendary. Now you could argue that Waltz can be used at further ranges but from my points earlier it is incredibly hard to even hit people far away with the slow spiraling missiles. At least Cricket has the added bonus of increased damage over further distance making it still viable to shoot targets at long range even if only a few rockets actually hit.

I have some suggestions which could improve this weapon significantly.

• Allow us to spin up the barrel without firing. (Fire on release) Or shorten the time it takes before firing.
  • Decrease spread on the missiles and increase velocity.
  • Increase damage either flat or by increasing the perks' potency.

If you have any other suggestions to try and make this weapon be more in line with other legendaries please post it in the comments. Or if you disagree with any of my points let me know too.

Waltz.png.2e01174d85a79fc5befae3bb9a0666

Edited by Veliaf_Hurtz
Additional information
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

Aside from the difficulty, if we compare this weapon to similar weapons it loses in most aspects. The most similar weapon in terms of mechanics is probably Snowfall. Snowfall however has way more health, comparable damage and is Epic tier.

Just answering that bit because I play Snowfalls a lot and love them.

I wouldn't trade my Snowfalls for two Waltz, but they're hardly comparable in terms of damage. Snowfall does have much bigger burst that makes it suited for hit-and-run gameplay... It also has absolutely pitiful DPS for 15 energy. 3 Snowfalls = 1600 on the sphere, 2 Waltz + Flywheel = 1900+, for 13 energy.

With their weight and solid DPS, I guess Waltz are going to be another of those Nova Aegis hover weapons. Boooring.

Edited by Clebardman

7 minutes ago, Clebardman said:

Just answering that bit because I play Snowfalls a lot and love them.

I wouldn't trade my Snowfalls for two Waltz, but they're hardly comparable in terms of damage. Snowfall does have much bigger burst that makes it suited for hit-and-run gameplay... It also has absolutely pitiful DPS for 15 energy. 3 Snowfalls = 1600 on the sphere, 2 Waltz + Flywheel = 1900+, for 13 energy.

With their weight and solid DPS, I guess Waltz are going to be another of those Nova Aegis hover weapons. Boooring.

I mostly compared them because they use a similar mechanic; "hold to fire" rocket launcher. When I compared damage I was looking at a single volley and it was not much different; snowfall having lower dps should be expected since it is lower tier and has more health.

I would agree the weapon lends itself to being on a mobile chassis like a hover for peeking around corners and such.

1 hour ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

the rockets fly around unpredictably

Are they? I thought they were flying a spiral/helical trajectory.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

I have some suggestions which could improve this weapon significantly.

I agreed. Good propositions and the accurate review here, unlike some...

22 minutes ago, Kehich said:

Are they? I thought they were flying a spiral/helical trajectory.

If they flew in a helical pattern that would mean the rockets shift in phase by 120 degrees each but they don't; they all follow the same spiral path which is the same every shot. But this can give unexpected results depending on the distance the rockets travel. Here is an example: https://gyazo.com/fe9b6ad08025e5a05a151649ad1da6b7 If I was any closer or further away, those rockets would have hit. But because im at this specific distance they do not hit.

Edited by Veliaf_Hurtz

=/ im probably going to have to wait a few weeks to unlock this weapon.  I don't feel like loosing coin this month by buying it high off the market. 

3 minutes ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

they all follow the same spiral path which is the same every shot

This is why I gave "spiral" as a variant above.

3 minutes ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

Here is an example

That just means players have to adjust to their trajectory. It's not a hitscan weapon, after all.

People are already pretty bad with it from what I've seen.  But I'm sure when they get better I'll notice the gun more. 

5 minutes ago, Kehich said:

That just means players have to adjust to their trajectory. It's not a hitscan weapon, after all.

Adjusting to this would be to aim more center mass, and sure that's valid, but again; this weapon is already quite underwhelming and it all just adds up. The spiral rockets should just be a cool feature, but I do not see any benefit to it, its only detrimental to the weapon. If there was any other redeeming factors you can ignore it, i'm just trying to paint the whole picture here.

Edited by Veliaf_Hurtz

I have the Ferris Wheel target practice prop in my garage and I manage to get perfect shots with every weapon I own.

Even if I aim straight at them with the Waltz, 9 out of 10 tines I completely miss them no matter the distance because of the corkscrew flying pattern.

And more often than not, if one gun hits the other misses because if they are mounted too far apart in the build or are placed on diferent heigths, the flying pattern doesn't match!

Its a strange weapon to use...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

this weapon is already quite underwhelming and it all just adds up

And this is why I expressed a positive view on your propositions.

2 hours ago, RoughMonkey said:

These will be fun to mess around with in pvp

That's how I feel about them.  They have the power to put up quite a highlight reel of kills but they seem frail and hard to use.  I'm definitely fusing a Harpy for power to play with these.  

2 hours ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

Adjusting to this would be to aim more center mass, and sure that's valid, but again; this weapon is already quite underwhelming and it all just adds up. The spiral rockets should just be a cool feature, but I do not see any benefit to it, its only detrimental to the weapon. If there was any other redeeming factors you can ignore it, i'm just trying to paint the whole picture here.

The Waltz says, "Drop it down and let me see them tig ol bitties." 

Proceeds to strip down spaced armor like nothing you've seen before...

I tested 2 of the battle pass fused ones in the exhibition, they dug into armor and did more damage than blast radius fused Typhoons. That is more than enough power for a legendary. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I tested in Garage.

• Spread, radius of spiral, should be reduced by the distance so it can be used at range
  • Speed should be increased a bit

The only effective builds that I have seen so far around with these are the the 'Pyre, cloak and facehug-shoot' types. People that use these weapons at range usually get easily blasted away doing minimal damage

11 hours ago, xXMrSkeletonXx said:

I tested 2 of the battle pass fused ones in the exhibition, they dug into armor and did more damage than blast radius fused Typhoons. That is more than enough power for a legendary. 

But typhoons have massive health. If they did any more damage they would be too good. Every weapon has its upside and downside. Waltz is supposed to have more damage because its a glass cannon type weapon. Low health in exchange for higher damage, again its balanced. If we do a proper comparison, not a relic cannon, then you can clearly see its underperforming compared to even epics of the same catagory.

What use is high damage when you can't reliably hit a moving target at any range?

3 hours ago, Veliaf_Hurtz said:

But typhoons have massive health. If they did any more damage they would be too good. Every weapon has its upside and downside. Waltz is supposed to have more damage because its a glass cannon type weapon. Low health in exchange for higher damage, again its balanced. If we do a proper comparison, not a relic cannon, then you can clearly see its underperforming compared to even epics of the same catagory.

What use is high damage when you can't reliably hit a moving target at any range?

If you're not on a hover and not using the battlepass fusion then don't bother, same with most weapons. The one in your pic isn't fused so of course it's average. I use my regular Parsers against the fusion ones and it's not even close, same with all the battlepass weapons. You can also bury them in a build, Typhoons stick out and get stripped easy in 2 seconds nowadays. Typhoon is literally the cheapest and less effective it's ever been, at least on my platform. I was flying around and hitting everything I wanted with the Waltz, no different than a Pulsar that was so strong it had to be nerfed. If someone is trying to use it 400 meters away and not hitting anyone, that's the players fault not the weapon. If you want a better one without investing in the fusion then wait until the relic version. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, xXMrSkeletonXx said:

If you're not on a hover and not using the battlepass fusion then don't bother, same with most weapons. The one in your pic isn't fused so of course it's average. I use my regular Parsers against the fusion ones and it's not even close, same with all the battlepass weapons. You can also bury them in a build, Typhoons stick out and get stripped easy in 2 seconds nowadays. Typhoon is literally the cheapest and less effective it's ever been, at least on my platform. I was flying around and hitting everything I wanted with the Waltz, no different than a Pulsar that was so strong it had to be nerfed. If someone is trying to use it 400 meters away and not hitting anyone, that's the players fault not the weapon. If you want a better one without investing in the fusion then wait until the relic version. 

U can buy a typhoon for 4k less than it costs to craft it on ps4.  Or something like that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xXMrSkeletonXx said:

Can't get the fused battlepass one yet unless you pay lots of money.. But I'm quite impatient so I just decided to use the unfused ones and see what its' like. Most people I asked agreed that even the fused ones are not that good and difficult to use. If you can hit people and have good games with them then I can 100% guarantee you will do even better with other weapons. I'd currently rank Waltz close to bottom tier legendary. I still had fun using them, but I feel so much more confident using other weapons. Also keep bringing up relic cannon and compare it more.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, xXMrSkeletonXx said:

Cricket does more damage, shoots accurately  faster and is 1 energy less at a lower rarity. Theres nothing good about the waltz, the way it is.

I dare say it wouldnt be competetive even if it was 4 energy the way it fires.

Edited by Babylonsburning
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Babylonsburning said:

Cricket does more damage, shoots accurately  faster and is 1 energy less at a lower rarity. Theres nothing good about the waltz, the way it is.

I dare say it wouldnt be competetive even if it was 4 energy the way it fires.

I bet I do great with em when I get them. 

Ps yongwang op. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1