A new promotion “wasteland of wonders” has begun!

Hello!

Today we are launching a brand new promotion where participants will have a chance to win one of the valuable prizes solely for actively playing the game!

• During the event, all players have access to daily challenges, and for completing each of them they receive a unique resource — “Lucky paws”.
  • On Sunday, a series of prize drawings will begin among everyone who submitted the accumulated paws. The winners are determined randomly. The more paws you accumulate and submit, the higher your chances of winning.
  • In case of victory in one of the stages, the player receives a prize. In this case, one paw is withdrawn from the total number of those submitted to the drawing, and the rest continue to participate in the next stages. In case of losing, all submitted paws continue to participate in the next stages.
  • At the end of the promotion, all accumulated paws will be withdrawn from the game without the possibility of exchanging them for anything.

Please note that the promotion will be active from February 12, 00:00 GMT, to February 18, 15:00 GMT. The prize drawings start on February 18. To participate in them, you need to submit your accumulated paws in advance.

1 Like

Test run for a Gatcha Game, game mode or revenue scheme?

1 Like

It’s already been running on PS4.
The challenges are pretty generic and easy, and the more we complete the more chances we have to win some coins.
I don’t love the gambling aspect, but it doesn’t seem to cost anything or have any real money activity tied to it, so it doesn’t seem exploitive.
Well, unless you consider being encouraged to play the game exploitive, in which case you probably should quit the game.

It will be interesting to see the data on the winners.

2 Likes

Are you implying the devs are going to give the rewards to specific players and that the random draw part is a lie?
Why?

Please don’t Jump to conclusions. Just mentioning it will be interesting how the system operates. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can’t picture it working well for either. Just seems like a fairly simple activity lotto for coins so far.

I actually would have liked to have just been able to keep a kitty sculpture but they seem to be intent on keeping them all for themselves at the end of the event.

1 Like

Interesting in what way?

I think it might be a scheme to deplete coins and reserves with the hope that people spend a few bucks later replacing same. Gee, I never used to be the suspicious type…

There’s one challenge, “buy or sell something that costs at least 60 coins, and do it twice.” So, you buy a special item and hope you can sell it 24 hours later before the challenges reset. Or else you buy 2 specials today, and sell them tomorrow to meet that challenge. Will you break even? Unlikely.

The other winner is “start to craft a rare or rarer part”. Well I guess either you craft it or you don’t, never mind starting. Easy enough, but the market on blue parts bottomed out at the start of last summer, so it doesn’t really pay to craft rare parts like it used to.

I don’t think you’ve really thought this through. I can’t see any way the devs benefit from getting us to craft and/or sell low level items on the market, other than encouraging us to play the game.

That’s why I’m suspicious! :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile:

I think a lot of people on the forum aren’t always seeing the big picture of what Crossout needs to do to be successful. It’s always tempting to see the devs as these greedy manipulators trying to trick us out of our money, but that’s a very simplistic way of seeing things.

There’s no way the devs are unaware that new player retention is essential to keeping player numbers up high enough to allow the game to function. Given how small the playerbase is, and that most of the more active players are now vets, getting new blood coming in has got to be at the top of their list of worries.
This means that sometimes things like this are only what they appear to be: a quality of life gift to players, tied to playing actively. Simply getting people to play more by rewarding them is an important enough goal to explain it.

The monetization aspects of the game are pretty out there in the open. There’s no real need to look for sneaky monetization conspiracies, because the main ways they make money are easy to see and understand.

To be clear, I am not saying that we shouldn’t criticize some of their business strategies. I’m just saying we don’t need to be looking for conspiracies, and that those conspiracies distract from real conversations we could be having, and that might actually be helpful to the devs.

Yet they simply cannot gain or retain new players. They know its essential but they don’t listen to players who have original ideas about what is the problem/solution. They just listen to mob consensus, CW elitists, and adopt AAA monetization strategies. Two players I brought in who bought BP and ground to Avalanche quit. I play 2 other games with a 3rd guy has played this game in Closed Beta (not with me) and wants nothing to do with it. He wont return. The game got worse since those first 2 quit with omamori and cam steer. My friends list also keeps becoming more and more inactive. My entire clan is inactive and it was formed because we see eachother in lobbies a lot and chill.

Devs need to properly address the dominance of hovers and dogs (not another simple nerf to weapons), forced meta from perks and movement, the grind for faction and past bp structure, the braindead grind in raids, and the excessive amount of AI in missions (too many gamemodes, limit heli to one or 2 ps brackets, and remove raids to shift those resources to normal missions) Give extra reward for being a small fish in the lobby.
They are slowly losing vets because they keep breaking meta nerfing and buffing shit in ways that break builds and playstyles while keeping dogs and hovers at the top no matter what.

1 Like

:crazy_face: yes interesting

None of us know what their player retention actually is.
I used to think there were very few new players, until I started a clan to get confrontation badges. Turns out there are lots of people coming into the game all the time, although it seems like most don’t stay.
However, I wouldn’t read too much into that. It’s normal for a lot of people to try an F2P game and not stick around.
As far as veteran players go, I would argue that large numbers of veterans is actually bad for the game. They are the ones seal clubbing, and they are the ones resisting every change that might benefit new players, and many of them have already spent as much as they are going to on the game.

Your suggestions might keep more new players around long enough that they become paying customers, but to me they seem more like things that would make your personal experience closer to what you want. I have my own ideas on how to improve the game too, but they would also just be based on my own biases.

Regardless, to bring it back to the actual topic, running a little event like this is most likely exactly what it appears to be: a bunch of new challenges designed to get people to play a bit more in the hopes of winning some coins. That’s a reasonable goal for them to have, and it’s a reasonable strategy to achieve it. Doesn’t need to be more complicated than that.

1 Like

Yep…every 2 months I go through my friends list and remove anyone who’s been gone more than 4 months. Cleared off 15 people today, all who originally seemed really excited about the game…really depressing. :cry:

3 Likes

Sadly I do the same. Its crazy to think we are the old guys in game now.

3 Likes

same…i have 90 friends active right now… and 6 friends going on 22 days not playing. :disguised_face:

‘wish they would show how long inactive players are on my Blacklist so i can delete them too’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

crossout number

That doesn’t really tell us anything about how many new players stick around, does it?
For all we know, the drops could be from veteran players burning out. Or the drops could be Steam-specific. Not to mention that we still don’t know for sure what that big surge of growth was from.

We can have our theories, but that’s all any of us have right now.

2 Likes