Anyone maining 120kph wheeled builds with Fin Whale?

I think I have ten, but usually just use the four from the BP, as that’s enough to max out my tonnage on a light cabin, and I like to be the fastest car on the field if I can.

But yeah, the new engine unlocks some possibilities with heavier builds, and I am excited.
I could see harvesters making a comeback, as fin whale will help keep them on when chewing through explosives. Banana builds might make a comeback too.
I’ve been testing out some ideas in preparation for unlocking it.

Arbiter humback banana is one i wanna try. 4 of them hitting for 5.2 worth with the perk might make mince meat if you have 2 or 3 traveling in a pack. Maybe with a cohort to really keep that sustained DPS

2 Likes

Yes. Fin Whale will put Harvester durability over 1000. I could see Yoko Flash 2 Harvester Fin Whale cloak all on Buggy wheels being a thing. Especially when they buff collision damage for heavy vehicles later this month. What happens when a Yoko saw build hits you at 110-116 KPH?

Another thought is Beholder, 2 Harvester, and a Skadi or two with Fin Whale. The Skadi boost the saws by freezing the resistance and pass through off legs and bumpers and such so you can punch through to the frames.

1 Like

Yes, I am very interested in how skadi works with melee. My saws are getting stopped by too many plows and tracks!

I’ve always enjoyed playing melee, as it feels very Mad Max. But I’ve also always struggled with playing melee well. I think I’m finally getting the hang of it more. You need to really be in-tune with your vehicle’s handling, and be very strategic about when to attack. Too often I am not patient enough, and ignore my team. Need to remember that playing defense is sometimes the right choice.

I find slowing down just before impact helps if youre hitting a small, oddly shaped or squirly(hover) target. Also, tapping your steering instead of holding it as you go in for your hit can help a ton for not oversteering or being spun off your target on contact. Having more weight in the front of your build also helps for not having your ass end spin you off during contact. Adding pincers that extend further than your melee can help ensnare your target. Nothing fancy, a couple of those lunatic spiked bumpers on shootthrough poles is usually enough for the intial hit. And one final tip, tap you ebrake just before contact will help align your inertia with the way you build is facing.

2 Likes

I built a Beholder Fin Phobos Flash Hammerfall build on 10 Buggy wheels last night. 3000 HP, easy 110 kph, 50 percent gun resistances perk up at all times. These builds are astounding. The Fin Whale Perk, with Buggy wheels is like having two permanent Averters on your build for no energy.

Fin Whale is situational in the same way that Omamori is situational. Fill in the blank.

I Use Omamori for _____________________Crossout situations.

Answers:
A. Some limited to niche use.
b. never.
c. In most situations and on every build where I can cram it in.
d. What’s an Omamori?

Fin Whale/Buggy builds are shortly to become META defining.

On the other hand, Yetis are cool on fire dog, ice dog and saw builds as long as you don’t run into Porc fire, or a Verifier or stray bullets or Fortune mines and as long as you don’t get blown up by the Yeti blastwave when a Mastodon shoots you in the back for burning his friend.

• The Correct answer to the quiz is “c.” Omamori is used in most Crossout situations and whenever it can be crammed on a build.
2 Likes

Shotguns are nearly the only guns that suitably pair with the FIN. The fin and buggies are a no brainer for booster builds and will be meta for levis. Some will try banana builds but i doubt they end up as meta.

Because most weapons pair better with omnidirectional movement parts, that alone will limit FIN popularity.

1 Like

Melee and flamethrowers should also benefit from it, especially harvester builds.
And anyone who currently plays fast wheeled builds will benefit from it, no matter what weapons they’re using. It might not make them stronger than horseshoe omamori DPS, but it will make them better than they were without the new engine.

I’m not sure if it will have much impact in CW, other than buffing close range wheeled builds that are currently useable in that mode, but it will make a bigger difference in PVP. It will really help those of us that try to make art builds functional.

I use CW as the barometer for what is meta.

All fast builds intheory can benefit but I think the case can be made that they benefot less than they would by using pegasus.

Heavy “dog” builds are more likely to benefit from FIN than the typical small, fast ones (IMO).

I appreciate the comments.

My hovers and Gerridas have been severely nerfed and have become gooshier slower and with less tonnage every patch.

You can’t keep nerfing hovers and Gerridas patch after patch, and buffing wheels patch after patch. At some point wheels are going to start running circles around the other movement parts, both figuratively and literally.

I’m arguing that time is now. It just hasn’t caught on yet.

How was the new cloak acting with the beholder perk?

2 Likes

I’m confused why people would be using Pegasus on light builds. Is it just for the mass limit boost, so they can pile on some more armour?

I do agree it will make a bigger difference with heavy and medium cabins, at least in terms of making new builds viable.

Im not on the game right now but doesnt pegasus yield around 2200 additional mass, compared to fin? Thats about 20% more mass for a light cabin. That is significant. Meanwhile, they already go fast, so the speed boost impact isnt near as impactful.

Was just getting on the mass limit bonus is: +3700

I guess that is a lot of extra armour, but whenever I try to use any of the mass limit engines with light cabins I miss the speed of the faster engines. I like being able to catch hovers.
But I also don’t play CW, so I’m willing to be a bit more fragile.

I have enjoyed playing some Yokozuna close range builds, and that’s probably the first thing I’m going to run this new engine on when I get it.

I don’t know. I’ve only run the cloak with Blight and Griffon. You can recharge it really quick 8 seconds if you bring it out of cloak yourself by shooting so there are probably some definite Stillwind shenanigans to be had.

1 Like

Was just kind of curious as I don’t have the yeti yet and saw you mention it in another comment.

I will check it out. Yeti seems like an important part for Levi Wars as you can avoid the other Levi so much easier. I will put it on my Beholder hover and have a report for you in a bit.

Thanks

1 Like

I did notice in the test server the om does fit into the slot of the yeti.

Isnt the fuel cell or w.e it is the only explosive bit? Like the yeti isnt explosive? If thats the case, just stick the explosive bit on a lightweight 6x1 off the end of your build and then you dont have an extra liability.