Destroying the spaced armor meta and moving art and functional builds closer to each other

Even after spaced armor was nerfed, it’s still pretty dominant. 90% of PvP builds are mostly made of air, are vastly oversized monstrosities compared to what they should be. They have no form or shape, just the tiniest possible support holding the largest possible parts. I can’t be the only one who finds the way functional PvP builds look absolutely revolting.

Consider the following change: instead of having a fixed amount of durability, all parts should have an attainable maximum durability, while the parts actual durability would depend on the number of welding pins that are attached to other parts and the number of pins they have in total. For example, part “A” that currently has a durability of 100 would have instead a maximum attainable durability of 100. Part A also has a total of 100 welding pins on it. If 50% of those pins are connected to other parts, then part A’s effective durability would be 50% of its maximum attainable durability. If all 100 are connected, then 100. If a part that is connected to part A gets destroyed, then part A’s durability also drops as some of its pins that were connected before are no longer. Instead of requiring 100% of pins to be connected to get 100% of the attainable durability, there could be an arbitrary, lower limit, for example, having 60% of a parts connected could be enough to give a part its maximum durability. This is an issue of balancing. Cabins could be exempt from this mechanic, and have a fixed amount of durability as they have now.

This change would reward people for making their builds as compact and solid as possible, instead of making them as large and spread out as possible. This would make PvP builds look much better and closer to art builds, be more realistic (if anyone even cares about that), and it would also buff cannons indirectly, which are currently underperforming, mostly due to PvP builds containing too much air and dissipating blast damage.

1 Like

Variations of this concept have been proposed many times, and I’m sympathetic to it.
I feel like the devs have been trying to address spaced armour in a bunch of different ways, but all of them have only had mild effects. I suspect that’s intentional, as any big change could have a lot of unintended consequences.

I think the biggest issue with the kind of solution you propose is that players will immediately find a way to abuse it, and we’ll just end up with another ridiculous looking meta.

Rough Monkey convinced me of the odd beauty of spaced armour meta builds. Yes, they don’t look like any real world vehicle, and that’s actually kind of beautiful. Over the years, anonymous Crossout players have created various unique meta builds that became very established, completely independent from any of the developers’ ideas of what Crossout vehicles should look like, or what war machines look like in science fiction.

Me, I’ll keep making the hot rods I like to drive, and just focus on doing that as good as I can.

So like this?

How about a strength mechanic? right now you can have a single weak part(for example something from the lunatics) that can completely support the weight of any part in the game no matter the weight which is totally unrealistic.

Here is an example of how this would work: Lets say you had a weak part from the lunatics like the brazier but wanted said part to uphold the weight of the freight train plow. The freight train plow would have a strength of 20 and the brazier would be 1 so you would need 20 of those attached to the freight train plow to support its weight. This would make players to start attaching weak parts to strong parts with the strong parts supporting the weight and not the other way around and make things more like the real world.

Or you can make strength scale with durability/mass so the more mass/durability an armour piece has than the more weight that armour piece can support.

And it breaks off if the weight doesn’t equal the hold strength (frames/cabs have 100 hold strength)

1 Like

Yea that’s the idea. It is absolute nonsense for how weak items can support the weight of anything, that needs to be fixed hopefully.

I’m of mixed opinions on that.

You wouldn’t generally mount a heavy plow on a normal low durability part, but would mount it to a light pass through part. That doesn’t seem that unrealistic to me, as they’re kind of like the roll cages you’d see inside a race car, which are designed to be able to be very strong yet light.

If I were making a real life combat vehicle out of junkyard scrap, I would probably create a frame out of strong steel tubing, and then attach all my scrap metal armour to that, preferably as far away from my cabin as possible.

So maybe spaced armour isn’t quite as unrealistic as it first seems?

Having said that, anything that makes Crossout more realistic is good. I could see some combination of the welding strength concept and a weight bearing parameter making building more interesting and encouraging less ridiculous looking builds. But it could also potentially limit art builders just as much, as many visual choices might not work with new restrictions.

Frame parts could have a very high carry strength, I think he was talking about the buggy step rail or something similar (that’s what I imagined, anyways).

1 Like

I picked a lunatics part as an example because they are usually the weakest/lightest parts in the game.

But only the pass-through parts would be used for that, and they are clearly modelled after the kind of roll cages I’m referring to.
If you connected a plow to a small Lunatics part without pass-through, the plow would be toast the first time anyone shoots at you with an explosive weapon, not to mention any area effect weapon.

Yea they can make an exception for the pass thru parts as that is what they are meant for.

But that’s basically how the game already works

If the passthrough part is mounted to another armor part then it will beak off (to my understanding of the idea), this happens a lot in the spaced armor builds I’ve seen