Is skinner effective against hovers?

Just started using the skinner for the first time today out of desperation to keep users on the vii from getting away. Have anyone tried this?

Depends on what you’re using with it. I’ve had some success using it on flamethrower builds, and tried it again recently with gremlins (less successful).
Unless your build is very light, most hovers can’t pull you around when you snare them. But if you try to grab a heavy ground build, you may find that you flip yourself.

Skinner also works reasonably well with melee builds, although they’re not very popular anymore outside of low PS.

My build is heavy enough at 14200 kg and a 99km/h top speed

Put it as close to your CoM just in case. You don’t need to give op hovers a nice lever to flip you.

I suggest bringing good grip too. Small tracks, Omnis, or a shitload of epic wheels.

1 Like

The skinner is close to the middle and I got both fused omnis and hermits for 25% increased surface traction. I haven’t tested it out enough yet but will later on but seems like the skinner lets go if you destroys the piece it is attached to.

Yeah, if the part is destroyed, the harpoon releases. Also, it releases on its own now after a few seconds, which is annoying, but probably had to be done to help deal with all the skinner/king builds.

I’ve seen one player running two skinners on a big spider with some melee, and it’s surprisingly effective. They basically wait for people to try to attack them, then grab them and pull them into the harvesters. With two, it’s very hard to get out of.

There is a player on Xbox who puts in work with 2 Harvesters vertical, a Flash between them, and a skinner on top of the cabin on a Griffon build. This is effective but I think his Skinner is fused for range.

There are any number of players who have Skinners and multiple King mine builds. They hook a hover and drag it through a mine field. This is very effective. The build is generally Yokozuna cab, Skinner or two, Cheetah, Cloak, 3 Kings.

Another strategy is to have a fast build with two Kapkans. You drive into a hover, release two Kapkans, then turn around and shoot it with whatever your gun is. I think this is good with Incinerator, Porcupine and anything that only takes 12 energy.

A Skinner may be effective on a shotgun build, such as Nidhogg, but generally Aegis or Flash is preferable if you are actually shooting the hover.

1 Like

Going good so far. I had to sacrifice fly wheel but it is slowing down a lot of builds and I even managed to trap a cohort spider without getting dragged around. Retcher hover bots tried doin his cloaking hit and run, i latched on and stripped the retchers and moved on to cyclone hover bot and stripped him.

2 Likes

I might get aegis but not yet, it is pretty pricey. My problem is that my build got decent top speed but slow acceleration and too many builds are getting away especially hovers.

1 Like

It works, yes!!. Flipped one of those meta arbiter hovers bottom up, blew up the apollo and scored a 2k point match, dragged him around like paper. My prayers have been answered.

2 Likes

I gotta say that was such a satisfying take out. Probably the first time I managed to take out one of those arbiter hovers, sweet revenge, not going without the skinner no more, going on every build from now on. Dude was in a top clan as well which makes it even more satisfying.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re making it work! I think it’s one of the coolest items in the game, but I haven’t been great at using it myself.
Your build looks fun to play.

2 Likes

It is a blast. Tearing hovers to shreds if I can sneak up on the mg hovers without being taken out of cloak. I was never a shotgun user but decided to give shotties a try recently. The biggest problem was the sheer amount of hovers. They ain’t getting away now, skinner is awesome don’t know why I never used it before. Hover problem solved.

1 Like

Having a field day with this. Perfect balance between weight and speed to get in and take the hovers out. Got flipped over a few times by latching onto heavy cabs so I got to make a judgement call before latching but most builds is getting wrecked now.

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoy the Jorg and found a good build with it! Congrats.

1 Like

Skiner is efective vs hover builds? I think yes, but the physics can betray you. Right now the most efective is use heavy cabin to dont flip after you land harpon, and all depend where you land it, if you hit cabin its perfect but if you hit icarus VII probably you will destroy it at first hit and skinner will not work until CD refresh.
In my opinion if you enjoy your build with skinner is already worth to use it.

2 Likes

Where the skinner is mounted and where you attach to the enemy are huge factors. Tractor pulls are done extremely low for a reason. It works the same way in the game. And grabbing a large frame or cabin guarantees you don’t disconnect from the enemy when you start doing damage

2 Likes

The skinner seems pretty hit or miss. I get’s abysmal matches where I latches on to a build too heavy and flips myself or I lands a hit on a hover then destroys a part, then hover gets away and hounds me. Then some matches it goes great and I am throwing them around and they flips over like a turtle on its back and I get an easy kill lol but it is worth it for those matches. I think trick is too try and flip them first and then shoot them but it is gonna take a lot of practice but at least it is possible now that hovers are flippable. Running a heavy cab can makes sense but I think I am gonna stick with my 10% mass limit increase ghost cab, at least for my skinner/shotgun build. Can flip/drag most builds along with the speed to catch up to hovers at the same time. I also got a cheetah fused for extra top speed with this build so it is currently the best I got to take out the enemy head honcho mg/scorpion hover.

Hitting a spaced armor hover in the right place with the skinner is gonna be tuff so hitting the cab or frame is not always possible. I just latches on and hope for the best. A lot of times the skinner lets go because I destroys the piece that the skinner was attached to so if anyone got any extra skinner tips please keep them coming.

I bet hadron could work with your shotgun build, which would give you more dragging power as well as keeping your DPS high.
Yokozuna is great with Skinner, but I find it hard to deal with the lower energy, especially on a build like yours, where you need 2 energy points for the Skinner, as well as a reloader and cloak.
Beholder might be a decent option, as it has the power and speed, plus you could fit in another module or two.

1 Like