What's your go to song you play when you enter battle

If I’m you only one :slight_smile: know that I did listen to a lot of this.

I really like where it breaks down around 34min. Then the next riff that comes in has a 80’s movie background vibe to me for some reason :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beastie Boys story for ya…

Way back when…

All I knew of the Beasties was that obnoxious “Fight for your Right” song. I mean, it wasn’t bad, but it was so over-played, I hated it.

The 14 year old son of a co-worker loved them, and wanted to go to their concert. His dad said if an adult would go with him, he could go. Since I was going to at least one headlining concert a month, he zeroed in on me as his target to take him. At the time, I was into metal & rap. To me, the Beasties were neither. They were poseur wanna-bes. No thanks.

He asked… repeatedly.

I refused… repeatedly.

He sweetened the deal by saying he’d buy my ticket.

No. Piss off, kid.

He said he’d buy the gas…

NO.

Buy dinner…

NO.

Buy me beer. :rofl:

NO.

Eventually, this kid was offering to drop hundreds of dollars to get me to take him to this b****-a** concert, so I gave in.

OH
MY
GAWD
Am I ever glad I did.

They didn’t open with any song I’d ever heard. They didn’t open with rap. They didn’t open with punk (they were originally a punk group).

They opened with the 4 of them on stage playing an instrumental piece on real instruments. I’m talking stand up bass, cello, flute, drum kit etc…

It was like 20 minutes long.

It was some weird amazing jazz funk fusion piece that blue me away.

I went out and bought everything they had, but nothing like that was on Paul’s Boutique or License to Ill (all that was available when that concert happened).

They wouldn’t come out with anything similar until “Lighten Up” on Check your Head, but it wasn’t close to what I heard live.

The closest eventually came when this album dropped:

2 Likes

I was definitely trying to channel some 80s film music and new wave on this, with some 70s dub reggae vibes and some early house music rawness.
I used to do this kind of stuff with a guitar and loop pedal as a one-man-band, but it’s too hard to keep working all the knobs and faders while also putting down guitar parts. Eventually I’m going to get myself a looper that can save my parts, so that I can just drop in pre-recorded “real” instrument bits wherever I feel like it.
I know it would be much easier to do all this on a laptop, but it’s just no fun for me. I hate looking at a screen.
Plus, when you’re using analog hardware like this, you’re essentially carving sounds directly out of the AC power coming out of your wall, which is endlessly fascinating for me. Makes me feel like a mad scientist when I successfully get some good cross modulation of the oscillators going, and suddenly all these mystery harmonics appear out of thin air.

But it sucks when you accidentally nudge one of the tuning knobs and everything turns into dissonant chaos. No safety net with this way of making electronic music.

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s amazing and hilarious!

Weirdly, the book I’m reading just had a scene where a character described the sound of those coils as being oddly trumpet-like. Never heard of someone using them to actually make music though!

1 Like

We went and saw the “Trans Siberian orchestra” a few years back, they have one song they play with a GIANT Tesla coil.

Many have most likely not seen this, enjoy :wink:

This was a video I found on the net of the same show, I was about 20 rows in front of the coil, closer to stage.

2 Likes

how did i forget this song…

2 Likes

Play free bird man

1 Like

I don’t know if this has been posted yet, but this is tremendous…

In fact, the entire work is very good. You have to give it a minute to really get going.

If that tickles your fancy at all, hit this one, but fast forward exactly to the 3:50 mark.

1 Like

calming asmr

2 Likes

No. Just no. Worst the heck was that? :joy:

for me my go to song. Johnny cash “Hurt”

This is a great song and video - it was even better when Nine Inch Nails originally did it. I posted the Jonny version for you.

The eternal debate. Reznor’s “I’m 30yo and fucking up in life” despair vs Cash’s “I’m 80yo and fucked up in life” regrets.

Gotta admit I never cared much for Reznor outside of Quake’s OST (^:

1 Like

Trent agreed… said it himself. This song is no longer a NIN song. It’s a Cash song.

It could be worse. Did you hear his version of U2’s One? I’d remove that song from my setlist forever if I was Bono :eyes:

1 Like

I do believe I’ve heard every professional Johnny Cash recording.
His best stuff was the American stuff, and I think pretty much everyone agrees with that. He was freed from the restraints of stupid contracts & allowed to just record what he wanted.

As for U2… They were great. Were. They should retire. :no_mouth: Metallica aside, I don’t think any group as gotten more full of themselves than U2.

As for Cash… this one is more in tune with what I’d listen to while going into battle… just paint your whole rig midnight black, first:

Z3

^ That version is a blast

Also mandatory Moby version. I heard he became relevant again in recent years through scandals lol.

2 Likes

Now, that’s a strange concept or i found it strange.
traditionally great names used to go out in their prime, far from me to glorify such things but just saying.
As an alternative to that
Nowadays to end like Johnny Cash ended can be very hard to some artists , a last Hurrah to add to his legacy, to his immortality.
Abba just stopped, that’s also good, there still a will to put them in a stadium but they decline every time.
To “end” like Sinead O’Connor i find acceptable, to immortalize in time one action (instead of an carrier) regardless what we could think, regardless if it’s right or wrong. it was just a statement gone wrong but she will remembered for that.
Now, announcing the retirement in the rock and roll world, what a strange thing to do. That’s a way to kill the immortality
case in point.
Rammstein - Adieu (Official Video) - YouTube

1 Like