A real discussion about hovers

It’s funny, but I’m right there with you. They used to be my go-to, but lately… nah. The only time I’ve used them lately was using Goliaths as armor in the early days of the copters. LOL

1 Like

You’re so cool, lol

I’ve been doing small omni they are really enjoyable. 6-7k… Their near vertical climbing ability is funny as hell. If they fixed the little acceleration problem they’d be fun. I’d really love to go back to tracks though as much as I love strafing there’s no room for error in the mini’s.

I try to play everything but it’s hard if you value winning at the top you’ll always feel short handed if you get anything less.

1 Like

Trying to play and win at the top is just frustrating in the long run. With EVERY “free to play” game, the way they make money is milking whales by introducing new OP weapons, then doing the nerf/buff game to get them to upgrade & buy virtually everything in the game.

I try to take a step back… rarely play top tier parts (super high PS) and just enjoy the older stuff that’s relatively settled and being ignored in the nerf/buff game. That’s hard in CrossOut since they nerf & buff almost everything on a regular basis. Still, the most fun is lower PS matches to me. Instead of trying to be the bestest mostest awesomest winning player in the game, I tend to focus on the weekly & daily challenges when I have time. I build & rebuild constantly… If I really have the time to play seriously, I’ll dabble in the top tier stuff, but in most games like this, that means building according to the current and ever-changing meta. At the moment, that’s hovers. I don’t like playing hovers for whatever reason. So, I don’t.

What confuses me is the constant harping about hovers as though if you don’t use them, the game is unplayable.

Wrong… the game is almost unwinnable at the highest levels. Otherwise, they’re fully ignorable.

1 Like

Wins vs meta feel good, fulfilling…

Sadly losing to meta only feels hollow, there is no learning from such defeats

It’s true while the opposite is there is nothing regrettable as losing to a meta it can be frustrating in the long term.

Everyone in the game kind of has to sus out what works for them. I make a lot of cringe worthy builds too. lol

I don’t get them either maybe they take the game too seriously. I love trying different stuff even if it looses I just end up with more ideas on how to make things work the next time.

2 Likes

Honestly if your not going to be toxic stick around I don’t think any one here would mind talking about potential fixes to things. We do so even if those things are a little bit estranged to us or even unassumingly impartial or even unfriendly. Why go back to that reedit place where they devalue your opinion based on a counter means.

One of my builds and I will tell you I’m a horrible shot when shooting at hovers is a omni quasar build. If anything stay’s still in the distance I might be able to hit it if I’m not moving. lol… That’s the other portion of the under-discussed issue. When both parties are moving it’s so much harder.

I play this when I don’t want to play my smaller judge cannon build also on omni. I’ve been playing Omni because people say it sucks. It’s that much more fun to get a kill when something sucks. I know I’m mean, right… lol

Do I ever hit them yes I hit them sometimes. I normally hit them when I have good positioning and they are engaged in a secondary target already. This second part is normally the conditions under which I manage to hit them. If they see me shooting at them they otherwise just dodge. lol… Can I blow them up yes to that too… :slight_smile:

1 Like

12k+ ps is nowhere near the highest levels.
You get your budget clan wars build scorps, your quad arbiter hovers and all their variations, destructor hovers, you get almost everything you would get at 15k+ except perhaps punishers and masto hovers.

You get at leat 12k the moment you make a decent legendary weapon only build with the rest of the vehicle only epics+apollo.

Heck, a 16 energy fully epic+apollo vehicle can cap around 12k… I think my spider with steppe+ML+miller+apollo ended up being around 13,5k.

I rarely play low ps, but i clearly remember that the moment you pass the 8-9k mark you start to feel the hover cancer well.

Anyway, my point is that first of all, people that dont see the issue are the ones who play at very low ps, close to sealclubing…
And secondly but most importantly, if i have to limit myself to playing half or even less of the game in order to avoid heavy and skill-irrelevant imbalances, i might just stop the game altogether and play a game that i enjoy in its full potential and aspects.

I do 15k sometimes for pvp. It’s not that much fun though.

1 Like

At 9k you’d be in my 4x hover range which is not hard to take down. I can’t put a gen on my build without going over that ps score really.

You have to be thinking into the 10ks. This is really no frills if it wasn’t for the cab perk and the 2 rads that’s all I can fit on the tiny platform. It’s using IV’s so it’s on the heavy side but slower.

2 Likes

I can see why you dont get to have much fun with that build at that ps.

This is an easy strip for all kinds of hovers (except maybe cannons), and everything else with stripping power on any other movement part…You could have the aim of god himself and you still wont have fun.

Oh and while before sticking close to your team could have a reasonable saving grace, because the 75km hover could not come close fast enough, also a teammate with some map awareness could assist you and the hover would potentialy find itself in big trouble since 75km are barely enough to escape a rough situation with good driving, any mistake and it gets pummeled like a pig in a sack.
So your bigest fear should be cloacked breakers, which have to come close and even that can be manageable with a kapkan on the build.

Now it can just come fast, fly around enough time to degun you, and fly away at a speed that only the fastest cars in the game can match. So unless you have 2-3 teammates looking out for you, good luck.
Kapkan can do little when a mid range hover, or even a scorp can come and leave just as fast with pretty much the same result.

I actually don’t loose that often in that build but I don’t get to move that far. It’s mostly hunker down and shot hunker down and shoot. Unless rushed I hardly get hit.

This is true I have to be like ultra aware of everything or I get eaten fast. I’ve done this with the fast IIV hovers too the same is true with those also. I picked the slower ones because I can get away with some more maneuverable shooting via circling. With the faster hovers I can’t retreated and shoot at all at the same time without raising the guns up a lot. With the way the tipping goes if your not aligned correctly the gun clips out.

I normally don’t have teammates watching me. I normally have to find a good position offset from the main action to exploit. Either a flank or rear to attack. As I only have 4 I can easily end up dipping for an entire match. Adding extra hovers pops me way ahead in the ps too so it’s not an option. 13k is way to high for this to end up in.

Mate, nobody plays double harvester flash anymore, the harvester has something like 400 durability and even a Griffon build struggles to catch a hover.

The question isn’t “what counters hovers when they’re giving you their butts and don’t look at the minimap”, it’s “what counters hovers when they’re not sucking their thumbs”. And the answer is nothing.

2 Likes

I actually take out hovers with my cerb mace build often. Just hitting it at speed is enough to take a hover or two off on the cab body itself.

I was talking only about the kaiju build, the arbiter one you just put the guns high enough or in the middle to avoid not being able to shoot while backing and the problem is solved…
Since you already play it away from main combat why not release the guns completely from any movement restrictions and be more effective in what youd do anyway…
Should someone come to degun, they are barely protected as it is anyway, might aswell be able to shoot while trying to escape…

I also get struck down in my hover via auto cannons often. It’s difficult to armor the entire hover part so the top and bottom are normally exposed.

Missiles also work. Unless there is some run around and I don’t have a cloak they will do a good bit of damage in the type of hover I play.

Keep in mind I’m not trying to say every hover is the way I play them either… I don’t do spaced armor and I try to play fair with out exploiting anything code wise.

Keep in mind I play CW and none of the overs I cross are “playing fair” lol. Missiles barely do shit to em, tried already. Also gl when someone brought a spark/flash. Autocannons are a joke unless they’re Stillwinds, but we go back to the “I haven’t got 15k coins to spend just to vaguely compete with hovertarts” argument.

I am not discussing 7-12k PS hovers balance, PvP is a shitshow anyway, strongest opponents and allies 99% of the time are bots < ’ >_< ’ >

1 Like

Part of it is to be small and ultra compact there are other issues though. When I tried to mount higher the balance was worse on the hovers. They really need a lower mass point to remain steady. It affected my general aim. There’s enough kick back on arbs to push my small craft around too. So I have to keep moving to stay on target.

I wasn’t sure the Kaiju one is funky to play. I’ve made a number of these too. There’s good and bad maps for it. Basically anything with a good hill I can take advantage of. Anything that’s flat is a crapshot.

Well they kind of have said they don’t balance for CW anyway so your kind of in the dark with whatever happens happens.

I actually think they should try collecting data from every mode though. It seems like they could be shorting everyone by just doing basic pvp alone.