Guess It was Bound to Happen

The scenario when someone tells you to “Go to Hell” and you enjoy the trip.

2 Likes

Does refusing to update your OS really
make it harder for corporations to spy on you?
I would think at this point it might be the opposite, but I am not a security expert.

I looked that up the other day. The Anti cheat web site claimed it is a product
online gaming companies add to the game. So my question is: Will the game still operate if you went into you’re games files then to Crossout and deleted that file ? IMHO I don’t use cheat software and find it intrusive . (Guilty until proven innocent) Then again their statement “You could check the EAC support page: Easy Anti-Cheat.” Explanation its another F** you deal with it message.

As far as Windows 11 goes, My eldest Grandson has an associate’s degree in I.T. He told me NOT to down load Windows 11 its not a good program and runs far worse than win 10. If I wanted a Mac style programming, I would have bought a Mac. :thinking: Linux may be another choice of operating system.

Have win 7 on my old rig slow as ever, & win 10 on my Alienware rig much faster. They claim win 11 is fare worse operating system slower from what I have read.

I use to to do IT and run a media lab for an Ivy league graduate school 11 is fine.

Ok, this comes from upgrading from win10 to win 11. A clean install and win11 runs better. Onc should always do a clean install of a new OS and never an upgrade.

I agree on a clean install, However the operating system is not to my liking therefore…

:roll_eyes::crazy_face:

Well…I attempted to convert my system to dual-boot, windows 7 and windows 10.

I didn’t want to, but a half dozen of the kids I play with here (even a few of the “older” kids, one in his 20s, the other in his 30s), were very upset that I would have to leave crossout. It’s like they thought I was dying or something. It meant something to me that they cared, even though Gaijin or Targem or whoever the hell really owns the game, doesn’t.

Anyway, to give myself some insurance against total failure, I made a clone of my booting hard drive onto a spare unused hard drive I had lying around, using Macrium Reflect. You see, I’ve been this way before.

I then followed a tutorial on how to do the dual-boot thing (since I only did it once, about 20 years ago). Among other things, it said I should shrink the partition to make room for windows 10. Ok, I shrunk it by 50 gig, not being sure how much I’d really need.

So then I had to download the windows.iso for 10 and extract out its components before copying it to a dvd. I had to use some microsoft “mediacreationtool” which of course, didn’t work. After an hour of research, I learned I had to download “TLS 1.1 and TLS1.2” or some shit like that because my pc only used TLS 1.0 Finally I got it to download the windows.iso file. Surprise, it doesn’t fit on a standard dvd disk. Actually nothing surprises me anymore. I was able to get it onto a usb drive.

Ok. So, according to the tutorial, there was an option in the Windows 10 installer to “Install Windows 10 Alongside Windows 7”. I didn’t see it. Stopped and restarted the installer a second time. Maybe it would show up later? Not logical, but who the hell knows. Well no, it never did. It did spend 45 minuets downloading updates first, so I thought maybe it would ask me afterwards. No, it didn’t.

It eventually completed. Lo and behold, my machine was full windows 10. Windows 7 was gone (but is still on my spare hard drive, thank God). All my other applications (they’re really called “applications”, not “apps” btw) were in place, but of course the desktop icons were all piled up on each other, so I spent some 20 or more minutes reorganizing them.

Then I downloaded some powershell scripts (never even heard of powershell before) from sites like Github, to clear out the bloatware, then went through a second time uninstalling all the other garbage, of which there was plenty. Lastly, I went thru all the privacy settings and turned them ALL OFF. No application needs to access my phone records, personal info, improve my browsing experience by delving into my activity history, or share my information with other like-minded applications.

I then defragged the drive. Ok. Now, what about that 50 gigs I removed from my partition? Oh it’s still there, shown as unallocated space. I can’t recover it either, because it’s “not in the right side of the partition I want to add it back to”. All I could do was transform it into a logical drive which I will never use.

Oh yeah, I was able to start up Crossout, just to see if it runs. I’m happy that the kids will be happy to see me still here, but I’m returning the “sorry we can’t help you” to the devs by not spending a dime anymore. I don’t blame them 100%; you can’t do everything for everyone all the time; but something like this, accepting a potentially significant loss of their player base by a 3rd-party software vendor who’s supposed to be working for YOU, is shameful. They should have been aware this was coming and moved to offset it, and if they weren’t aware, they should be coming down hard on easy anticheat.

By the way, the “feel” of Windows 10 is sorta…infantile. Anyone who’s been around since IBM DOS first came out might understand what I mean. If anyone tries the dual-boot method and succeeds, please let me know.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a good thing my now-15-year-old-PC died when it was about 12. It was windows 7, and I am happy I upgraded. I feel bad for all you guys though, I hope they find a workaround for all of you. Good luck, and I hope to see you guys again in-game!! I’d miss some of you. :sob:

1 Like

Mini tool partition wizard should be able to fix that. They’ll mention it in the guide I attached at the bottom.

There’s a phone app that uses it, not an issue if you don’t want to use it. Basically you can make calls, txt, use your phone’s apps right from the computer with it. It’s kind of handy if you often have to grab/swap files files off and on the phone.

I’m not sure which guide you tried following but look through this one:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-windows-7-after/7e43130f-11a9-4167-832e-97ed168ae369

I haven’t had to do it in a while mostly because I have extra older comps sitting around for the other OS’s when needed.

Do check out the new Terminal and WSL if you like command line stuff. WSL will let you run linux stuff on the sublayer. Which is one of those reasons I haven’t had to do a dual boot system in a while.

Keep in mind, everyone who has to move to win10, that win 11 requires a TPM verification. If your PC doesn’t have this, no new support for Win 10 after 2025.

Might be a good time to save up/buy your next pc if you can afford it (I understand not everyone is in that position).

1 Like

There is a way around that but haven’t had to do it. How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM, CPU and RAM Requirements | Tom's Hardware

1 Like

That work around may or may not exist come 2025. Just sayin.

It will mostly likely stick around as it’s a registry work around. I’ll be happy when it’s a past issue. It’s a pain having to check every motherboard I look at for people on if its compliant with 11. It would have been a lot less messy if the OEMs had started putting TPM extension busses on the boards when the requirements started to be known. Then it would have just been as easy as getting the TPM module.

Sooner or later Microsoft will end support to the older systems and may no longer operate. had an old system go silent due to this. I was not able to update as the system wouldn’t support the new software. Like it or not, Change is emanant sooner or later.

Yeah change has already hit me. Now that I migrated to Windows 10, my pc takes longer to do things than it used to, and Crossout graphic performance took a hit. Stuttering, jerking. Under Windows 7, my graphics were smooth and stutter-free (unless it was due to lag).

1 Like

I am not a creature of change . I have lived with the attitude of “If it works, Don’t fix it”* However the “higher powers” try to decide what is best for us. Forcing change. If I could run Windows XP I would still have that operating system. There again forced to change… For our benefit or theirs ? That’s another can of worms I won’t open.

1 Like

94150-live-in-the-now-gif-Waynes-Wor-dW2T